XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 loader does not run correctly in VirtualBox/VMWare

alexa2000

Hi,

I have a Dell E6430 laptop with an Intel i5-3320m CPU, and I want to install Xpenology in a VM for some light personal use.

The problem is that no matter what I've tried in the past 2 days, I could not make it to say that it has booted so I could find it with find.synology.com or Synology Assistant.

The screen stays like I've shown in the attachment.

I've tried all the synoboot.img files that I could find 3615/3617/918p. Same behaviour on both VirtualBox and VMware Workstation.

Some older loaders had the vmdk file provided, but for 1.03b, I had to use StarWind V2V, like shown in the second attachment. Maybe this is what I'm doing wrong, since this step is not covered clearly in any of the tutorials.

I've also used this vmdk: 

Same result. The loading process doesn't finish, there is no boot finished message, and no ip connectivity.

Earlier this week, I've managed to install some older version of Xpenology in Virtualbox, 6.0.x and the installation worked fine.

I've seen that boot finished message there.

However, this wasn't fully successful either, since I could not see the 8GB data volume that I've had configured, in DSM Volume Manager.

Maybe it wanted more? Maybe it didn't like that I did not preallocate it? I don't know.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this, maybe I need a certain CPU type, certain amount of RAM[I didn't use 4GB, but 512 or 768 or 2GB, since I need the RAM], certain VT settings, etc.

Any ideas?

Capture02.PNG

Capture01.PNG

Edited by alexa2000

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem on ESXi 6.5, trying to run the new ds918 loader but I still have the message: "screen will stop updateing shotly, please open ..."

I tested on the E1000 and VMXNET3 network card. After the startup, the same message and CPU usage for the virtual machine are 90-100%.

I think that no matter what is CPU because question is about installation into VM Oracle.

I join to asking about a need 2 files for installation into VM:

Synoboot.img is loader

Synoboot.vmdk ????

Many times I read tutorials where clearly wrote what is need to do with synoboot.img but synoboot.vmdk just is needed to be placed into vm's folder. But there is no further instruction where it has to be applied 😕

Edited by Shperrung

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 7:20 AM, Shperrung said:

I think that no matter what is CPU because question is about installation into VM Oracle.

I join to asking about a need 2 files for installation into VM:

Synoboot.img is loader

Synoboot.vmdk ????

Many times I read tutorials where clearly wrote what is need to do with synoboot.img but synoboot.vmdk just is needed to be placed into vm's folder. But there is no further instruction where it has to be applied 😕

synoboot.vmdk just point the VM boot process to synoboot.img where you actually have some real data

you can mount synoboot.img and modify it with serial number, mac adress, etc.

On 10/19/2018 at 7:36 AM, flyride said:

In addition to bricked boxes due to inattentive upgrades, there seems to be a surge of questions regarding how to select a DSM platform, version and loader.

I created this table to help navigate the options and current state of the loaders.  While situations rapidly change, this should be correct as of the listed date.

6.x Loaders and Platforms as of 20 Oct 2018
Loader DSM Platform DSM version Kernel DSM /dev/dri DSM NVMe cache Boot method NIC 6.2.1+ CPU Requirement
1.04b DS918 6.2+ 4.4 Supported Supported EFI or Legacy BIOS any NIC with driver support Haswell or later
1.03b DS3615 or DS3617 6.2+ 3.10 Not supported Not supported Legacy BIOS only Intel (baremetal)
e1000e (ESXi)
Nehalem or later
1.02b DS916

6.0.3 to 6.1.7

3.10 Supported Not supported EFI or Legacy BIOS any NIC with driver support Nehalem or later
1.02b DS3615 6.0.3 to 6.1.7 3.10 Not supported Not supported EFI or Legacy BIOS any NIC with driver support Nehalem or later
1.02b DS3617 6.0.3 to 6.1.6* 3.10 Not supported Not supported EFI or Legacy BIOS any NIC with driver support Nehalem or later
1.01 DS916 or
DS3615 or DS3617
6.0 to 6.0.2 3.10 Not supported Not supported EFI or Legacy BIOS any NIC with driver support Nehalem or later

* 6.1.7 on DS3617 is incompatible with ESXi installation

Change log (Reveal hidden contents)

[20/Oct/2018] Updated for 1.04b loader

[22/Nov/2018] Corrected E1000 vNIC dialect to e1000e for 1.03b on ESXi

[10/Dec/2018] Updated earliest processor capability to reflect Nehalem report

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Dsm 6.2 (DS3615XS) WORK to Virtualbox.
I managed to run dsm 6.2 (ds3615) on Virtualbox, be careful that version 6.2.1 does not work). It will be necessary to download the good spk on the syno download center.

You must first configure grub (the mac address must match the one entered in the vm), then convert the .img file to .vdi (VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI "source file path" "target file path" ).

In the settings of the VM, you have to use as storage manager: SATA (override all others). In first pausition put the IMG file converted to VDI, then all other virtual disks.

In the system settings of the machine (tab motherboard), choose the number of processor and memory allocated (2 processors for me and 2048MB of RAM) and especially used chipset ICH9 (otherwise does not start correctly).

In the network card part, enable card, bridge access, advanced settings, choice of Intel PRO / 1000MT Desktop card.
Be careful to fill in the correct mac (same as grub).

Usb: default (use usb 1.1)

Serial port: enabled (COM1 - disconnected)

When starting the machine, choose baremetal option.

Good fun :-)

confvirtualbox.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...