XPEnology Community

4.3 Update 4 - USB issue.

nick w

Having installed 4.2 on my hp micros server with a JBOD volume I thought I would do a complete rebuild to 4.3 update 4. I used a USB to SATA cable to copy all my data off.

My 4.3 Update 4 install was easy and successful and my 2x 4tb disks had been turned into a 4tb SHR volume. So last night I plugged my USB to SATA cable in to copy from my backed up 4tb drive and it knocked the network card in the hp micro server offline. I had to perform a hard reset. Change the USB socket didn't change anything and it kept knocking the nic offline.

Any ideas or suggestions?

At the moment I am copying 4tb (with another 4tb to transfer later) over Ethernet at 10mbs.....

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks

N

Why not use another OS, like linux?

I'm currently backing up my data to a USB drive that I formatted ext4 in DSM (taking forever at 35MB/s). If I redo my synology OS I plan to just create a new array, power down, move the array to a linux VM (along with my backup drive), and then copy all the data to it - taking DSM out of the loop. The reason I am doing it this way is because when I copy my data from the backup drive, it will be connected via sata rather then slow ass usb - DSM won't just let you copy off another sata drive, unless it's estata, which is the reason I'll use linux.

This is a situation where having esxi is priceless. with a few clicks you can move disks from one VM to another :wink:

With my Western Digital Passport drive, I found that only after formatting it EXT4 from within a separate Linux installation did it work properly when plugged in to my XPENOLOGY machine. If I plugged in the drive before that, for whatever reason it would kernel panic the XPENOLOGY machine.

Frank