• 0
denmalley

Can't access server, no putty, no interface.

Question

Hi, I am running jun loader 1.02b, installed per tutorial.  Running on bare metal Dell T30 server as DS3617xs.

 

It had been running fine for about 6 months or so.  I think I maybe updated the DSM once in that time, so I think I'm running 6.1.7-15284 if I recall correctly.  Didn't take the jump to 6.2xx and beyond.

 

A few weeks ago, I got the "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found." synology splash page when trying to access via web browser.  Doing a little googling presented a handful of solutions that involve putty, but I am getting "connection refused" when trying to go that route.  While the server was still running, it meant I still had access to all of my SMB shares, so I made a backup of all of my shared folders and tried rebooting the machine, first a soft press, waited a few hours, no response, so then I took the dreaded hard reset.  Now nothing is accessible at all.  Still getting the same splash screen on the web interface, no putty access, and now the added bonus of no access to any of the SMB shares, plex server, sonarr, etc.  I attached a monitor to the server to see if the jun splash page is still loading and it is.  I'm just kind of stuck on what to do next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Ok now I've disconnected the SSD drive and reconnected the original raid drives. 

Rebooted the system, and it shows up in find.synology.com  

it gives the option to migrate data...but

Still asking for an update, but it allows you to provide a pat file rather than download the latest.

Tried using the one provided in the tutorial, but the system will not allow it - "must be 23739 or later"

so I got Jun's 1.03b loader so it can handle the 23739 update.

went to the synology archive and navigated to the 23739 folder, got the ds3617 pat file

rebooted the machine with jun 1.03b

went to find.synology.com and continued the install process, choosing "migrate"

-then on the next screen chose "manual update" and browsed to the 23739 pat file I downloaded

-started the update, machine went through it's thing, and I'm BACK baby!

 

FIRST thing I'm gonna do is figure out how to enable ssh access

edit: looks like I had changed the port number, which was why I couldn't access on the standard port 22.  Gonna save a putty session profile now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Was your NAS using static or dynamic IP?

If DHCP was in use, do you see the adress it gets from you router, and can you ping that adress?

Have you checked your cable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

does the server have an idrac port? you can check boot status from there.

also maybe try a new boot usb, disconnect your raid drives and boot with that and see if you get the server back. if yes then might point to a 'corrupt' dsm installation. you could then boot with the new usb and raid reeconnected and it should appear 'migratable' and you reinstall the dsm version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, bearcat said:

Was your NAS using static or dynamic IP?

If DHCP was in use, do you see the adress it gets from you router, and can you ping that adress?

Have you checked your cable?

The server is present in the router's device list.  Set to static. Pings fine.  (based on those facts I don't see it necessary to check the cable)

 

9 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

does the server have an idrac port? you can check boot status from there.

also maybe try a new boot usb, disconnect your raid drives and boot with that and see if you get the server back. if yes then might point to a 'corrupt' dsm installation. you could then boot with the new usb and raid reeconnected and it should appear 'migratable' and you reinstall the dsm version.

I don't think it has iDRAC, no mention in the online info for this server model.

 

I guess I'll try to build a new boot usb.   Is there a better option for a more stable boot solution than a usb stick?   Sure don't wanna do this again in 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Ok, so here's where I'm at:

 

- created a new loader usb stick. 

- booted successfully

- find.synology.com took me to a screen asking me to install the DSM software (everything had been running on my four raid drives so I had them unplugged and instead have a blank ssd plugged in.

- software installed, then the reboot cycle started.  When it finished, it said it couldn't find the device.

- gave the option to "detect manually" which redirected to find/.synology.com.

- now it is sitting at this screen:  

image.thumb.png.bdecab9322dd0c965a75a698181e1dd4.png

 

Only the "newer DSM" it wants to install is a 6.2, which the tutorial on this forum specifically says will not work with this loader.  So I'm kind of stuck!  Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, denmalley said:

Ok, so here's where I'm at:

 

- created a new loader usb stick. 

- booted successfully

- find.synology.com took me to a screen asking me to install the DSM software (everything had been running on my four raid drives so I had them unplugged and instead have a blank ssd plugged in.

- software installed, then the reboot cycle started.  When it finished, it said it couldn't find the device.

- gave the option to "detect manually" which redirected to find/.synology.com.

- now it is sitting at this screen:  

image.thumb.png.bdecab9322dd0c965a75a698181e1dd4.png

 

Only the "newer DSM" it wants to install is a 6.2, which the tutorial on this forum specifically says will not work with this loader.  So I'm kind of stuck!  Any suggestions?

check the boot loader version - looks like you created a 6.2 one. if you use a 6.1 loader it should be ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
The question(s) in this topic have been answered and/or the topic author has resolved their issue. This topic is now closed. If you have other questions, please open a new topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.