XPEnology Community

Access to my server, how do i do it the best way?

zodde

Question

Hey!
I am using an HP laptop and a Hp ProLiant microserver gen8 that I am setting up for use, Xpenology works very well for me, but I have not put it into my mind so much since I have some problems left get in with you first.

I need access to my server from outside, when I'm in a hotel, train, etc. So I've read a bit about this and VPN is the safest way to do this. So my question is:
1) Does it work to set up a VPN server on Xpenology and use it to access it?
2) DDNS is set up, is it necessary if I use VPN or should I scrape DDNS and use VPN only?
3) I need to access the Web interface and my hard drives.

These questions I need help with to get ahead. How do I get to know and what will be the best?
Thank you for your help 

Sincerely
zodde

9 answers to this question

Pretty sure you need a DDNS unless you have a static IP address. Personally I use a DDNS and a certificate from Let’s Encrypt. I transfer over secure WebDAV and I only allow HTTPS for the web interface. You can use a VPN to setup the secure connection instead of HTTPS, but you’ll still need to know the server’s IP. By using a VPN you should in theory be able to access it as if you were on the same network (for instance use the 192.168.1.x address).

I've got it working to access DSM at port 5000, so I'm making progress here. But I'm still a bit uncertain of both the theory and practice. So, set up a VPN server with Open VPN which is the best, and then can I access my entire home network through the local ipn (192.168.x.x)?

The DDNS address can I use instead of knowing my server's external ip. Name.ddns.net.
Am I right? :)

have a look at your router to see if it supports both DDNS and can be a VPN server. That could be the best option, depending on the vpn options on the router you connect via a client or windows vpn client, then you have access to your entire lan securely. also, depending on the router vpn options, you could add mac address filtering to only allow your laptop to connect remotely

The router supports ddns bit not vpn server. I have put in ddns name in the router and in the dsm bit no vpn server in router. So i Will set up a vpn server insted. 

I only need access to server anyway so it dosent mather. Is OpenVPN the right way? Or should it be IPSec? I will figure it out but to save time its good whit help :) thanks for answer