XPEnology Community

Moving to ESXi

Hostilian

Hi all

I've decided to migrate to ESXi (or at least give it a go) and consolidate my 2 (always on) surveillance boxes and 1 (sometimes on) NAS into the same box..

I wanted to try passthrough storage but my CPU (3770k) doesnt support it, so I've had to order a 3770s (low power) CPU, which supports VT-d.

Anyway.. Before I go too far down this route, has anyone experienced any issues with hosting multiple Synology NAS VM's on the same box?

I'll need 3;  1 for my main NAS. 2 for Surveillance station due to the license limit. If I could guarantee that the additional licenses would keep working I'd purchase one - but can't so won't....

I'll use my Syno 216J for remote backups..

Spec will be (when I get the replacement CPU).

ESXi 6.7, fully patched, installed on USB3 Flash Drive. I already have this working on my K CPU..

i7 3770s

P8Z77v pro TB with 16GB RAM (for now)..

Onboard NIC plus PCIe 2 port Intel NIC. I was planning on giving the camera VMs a single NIC and pairing the other two (LACP) for use with the rest of the VMs.

The board already has 8 SATA ports, but might add in an additional SATA controller if I need to.. I'll host the VMs on a pair of SATA600 ports on SSDs.. The passthrough storage will go on the 4x SATA300 ports. I'm HOPING passthrough works with it - won't find out until the CPU arrives.. 🤔

At present, it's using about 90watts, but the 'S' CPU (and a slight undervolt) will hopefully knock off 20 watts or more...

I'll test the hardware passthrough before even attempting to move my bare metal disks into the new box.. Anything to bear in mind when moving data disks with Passthrough to ESXi?

Hoping it preserves the data but will have a backup..

Cheers

#H