XPEnology Community

Why use a VM?

cstout

I'm currently running DSM 5.0-4418 beta on an old Dell tower for off-site backup and I love how quick and easy it was to build out. In cruising this forum for the past couple weeks I'm wondering why so many people are installing on virtual appliances. What are some benefits of running this virtually? I'm genuinely interested in knowing why this is available and used by so many. If I'm missing out on something, I'd love to know more. Thank you!

I'm currently running DSM 5.0-4418 beta on an old Dell tower for off-site backup and I love how quick and easy it was to build out. In cruising this forum for the past couple weeks I'm wondering why so many people are installing on virtual appliances. What are some benefits of running this virtually? I'm genuinely interested in knowing why this is available and used by so many. If I'm missing out on something, I'd love to know more. Thank you!

For some people its just a testing DSM as "proof of concept", to see if they like it enough to dedicate the hardware for this.

For some its not as much storage they are after as additional applications that they can install and access remotely.

For some its a way to share the server hardware with some other VMs that otherwise would require multiple boxes.

And finally for some people its just to abstract this VM NAS from the real, possible incompatible hardware.

Virtualization is pretty cool even if you do only want to run DSM on a single machine as if you want to try something out you can just create a second VM or if you upgrade a bootloader just create a snapshot before...

Also VMWare runs und hundreds of server constellations and for DSM they are all nearly the same "hardware" so it's like iPhone OS: It can be developed to perfectly match a VM as everybody has "the same"

in theory :smile:

is it possible to run XPEnology and unraid with VM at the same machine i.e. hp microsever n54l?

so if the volume will be crashed at the XPEnology, will i be able to boot with unraid os and save my data from the non failed disks?

in unraid you only lose data from the failed drive/s, and not on the whole volume as on Xpenology.. and i don't know if there is a way to save our data from the healthy disks if we only run XPEnology and we have crashed the volume.

if the above use work (XPEnology & unRAID at the same machine using VM), IMO it is one of the best uses to run VM..

Main Machine

Windows 7 as media server .

First backup copy in NTFS

VM config :

- Virtual Disk 10G ,for OS and package

- RAW Disk access ,syno format ,second backup

- RAW Disk access ,ext4 ,mount as eSATA ,time backup .

In case anything get wrong I could read ext4 one in ubuntu :cool: