XPEnology Community

Dell Optiplex 980 DSM6.2 (loader 1.03) - high fan noise

mfigrs

I am running DSM6.2 using loader 1.03 on a Dell Optiplex 980 workstation. Since my upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2 I am experiencing high noise from a fan. It turns out that the noisy fan is the one from the graphics card - not the main system fan. The GC is also warm to touch, as if working hard. What's got a display-less server to do with the graphics card? This was not happening under 6.1. 

Anyway, I tried removing the GC, but then the machine doesn't boot at all. The onboard monitor output is not working - no matter with or without GC, regardless of any BIOS settings. At some point I've reconnected the monitor from onboard to GC output after boot and I saw a message saying something that processor is not capable of supporting on-board video. I am therefore stuck with noisy GC.

Does anyone have any idea about possible solution to the noise problem?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unplug the fan.

Fire it up and let it run for a bit.  Take the side off (with the computer running) and check the temp of the heatsink.  An IR thermometer is best, but even your finger is good.  If you can't leave your finger on it because its too hot, it needs a fan.  If you can leave your finger on it, its fine to leave the fan off

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 3:58 PM, toastboy said:

Unplug the fan.

Fire it up and let it run for a bit.  Take the side off (with the computer running) and check the temp of the heatsink.  An IR thermometer is best, but even your finger is good.  If you can't leave your finger on it because its too hot, it needs a fan.  If you can leave your finger on it, its fine to leave the fan off

I just did that. Turns out that the GC is only warm to touch and it's fine to leave the fan unplugged.

Still, this is only a workaround. An ideal solution would be to fix the loader (add drivers, config, or whatever) so that everything works as it should. Under 6.1 loader it actually was working - the problem appeared after upgrade to 6.2. I wish I was able to assist with fixing that...

Edited by mfigrs