XPEnology Community

virtual machine manager linux kernel panic

dh22r

i'm running 6.2 (baremetal) on the dell T30.

i've installed virtual machine manager (vmm) and am able to create the VM.

but whenever i boot up and try in run/install linux, keep getting "kernel panic" and "synching errors".

same errors whether it's ubuntu or debian or mint.

i've no issues running windows 10 pro though.

any ideas?  much appreciated.

dh22r

3 hours ago, filippo333 said:

Yeah I'm getting the exact same thing, Windows also gives me a "kmode exception not handled" BSOD. It seems like some sort of Synology kernel incompatibility. Though the odd thing is the beta didn't have this problem when I was first testing it out on my bare-metal NAS.

Update: After enabling Core 2 Duo CPU compatibility for the VM (only available with the pro version of VMM) it works perfectly. Unfortunately this isn't an option for most people (me included) as it requires a valid S/N and MAC combo to obtain a trial and or purchase a VMM pro license for $130.

Maybe there's some way to force this instruction set in the hyper-visor without a license?

4 hours ago, dh22r said:

just an update ...

i'd forgotten to mention the above T30 issue was under DS3617sx.

once i'd upgraded (sidegraded?) to DS918+, no issue running linux via VMM.

weird?

dhrr2

Does changing model require a re-import of your data? It's possible VMM is fine tuned for the CPUs it's designed for. This is likely why people running as a DS3615xs and DS3617xs have no issues with VMM on enterprise Xeon hardware (as far as I know).

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2018 at 11:19 PM, dh22r said:

nope ... on the migration/update page to DS918+, i  chose to keep my existing data & configs when asked.

Currently using the DS918+ loader (was previously using the DS3615xs on my i3 baremetal) and so far it's a mixed bag. Windows 10 1809 installs fine, whereas Ubuntu and Xubuntu boot but won't install. I can see and format the disks without a problem, but as soon as I get to the disk selection step of the installer, the setup window goes into an infinite loading screen. It doesn't matter if I switch the disk mode from VirtIO to SATA or IDE the result is the same.

CentOS has it the worst, using the minimal installation ISO I get a kernel panic and there is no way around it that I was able to see.

The official compatibility list is quite out of date, I did try a certified build of CentOS but get the same problem. VMM might be putting some incompatible instruction in the Qemu VM config or maybe it's just really broken (which I find hard to believe). I'm lead to believe that this is the case as in my previous post I mentioned that enabling CPU compatibility mode with VMM Pro resolved the issue whilst on my DS3615xs loader (in which VMM was even more broken than it is on the loader I'm currently using ;) )

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but would rather not make a new one for something others are also experiencing

Same story... Can run all sorts of windows VM's but not a single Linux VM under the current load. I get to the disk selection portion then it panics/loops..

VT-D is on/everything turned on in bios that should be on.

i7-4770K. 32gb Ram, 20TB storage Raid 5, 1tb SSD storage, 2x256 SSD Cache drivers, 1.04b loader. Newest DSM as a 918+... Using a Valid MAC and Serial from a damage 918 box.

Edited by Bucket

• 3 weeks later...

HI 

I have the same problem, kernel panic at boot or I can see and format the disks without a problem, but as soon as I get to the disk selection step of the installer, the setup window goes into an infinite loading screen..

Loader 1.04b and DS918+

Have you found the solution ?

Thanks !

• 7 months later...

I've found that if one adds the "noxsave" boot option (for example, when at the first boot menu for Ubuntu, under advanced options), everything will work fine afterwards.

Besides which, the boot option will be automagically appended by the installer to the grub configuration during installation.

That way, it's fairly easy to disable AVX2 and avoid the kernel panic.

I've tested this with Ubuntu Server 18.04.3 LTS and Loader 1.04 w/ the DS918+ image (v6.2.1-23824)

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Olegin said:

@ Tom63 Try to use this configuration in storage "VirtIO SCSI", it work for me.

@Olegin  I built Ubuntu on 6.1.7. I exported the "OVA" file to another hard disk.
I did the 6.2.2 update and then updated the virtual machine to the latest version.
importing ubuntu "OVA" And everything works.
I have botloader 1.04, 918+. dsm 6.2.2 upd4.
Thank you all

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/23/2020 at 8:43 PM, Mary Andrea said:

Same problem , kernel panic with DSM 3617s and any Linux (Ubuntu or Mint) , Impossible to instal VirtualMachine Linux in Synology Xpenology (however Windows 10 running perfect) >> anyone has find a solution?

I found error, some Linux version doesnt works with Virtual Machine, you've to install the exactly version . Works in my case 

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/16.04.1/

others compatibilities on Synology

https://www.synology.com/es-es/dsm/feature/virtual_machine_manager#supports_OS

Edited by Mary Andrea
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Cheesefoam "I've found that if one adds the "noxsave" boot option (for example, when at the first boot menu for Ubuntu, under advanced options), everything will work fine afterwards."  This totally worked!!!!!  I'm running a 3617s on current gen LGA 1200 motherboard with an i7 10700 with 1.03b loader - all cores are recognized and everything worked flawless save for only  being able to get linux vm's to run with cpu compatibility mode enabled which emulates a core2duo processor. Your configuration allows it to run without compatibility mode.

Thank you so much for this!

cheers,

Ren