dh22r

virtual machine manager linux kernel panic

i'm running 6.2 (baremetal) on the dell T30.

i've installed virtual machine manager (vmm) and am able to create the VM.

but whenever i boot up and try in run/install linux, keep getting "kernel panic" and "synching errors".

same errors whether it's ubuntu or debian or mint.

i've no issues running windows 10 pro though.

any ideas?  much appreciated.

dh22r

Yeah I'm getting the exact same thing, Windows also gives me a "kmode exception not handled" BSOD. It seems like some sort of Synology kernel incompatibility. Though the odd thing is the beta didn't have this problem when I was first testing it out on my bare-metal NAS.

3 hours ago, filippo333 said:

Yeah I'm getting the exact same thing, Windows also gives me a "kmode exception not handled" BSOD. It seems like some sort of Synology kernel incompatibility. Though the odd thing is the beta didn't have this problem when I was first testing it out on my bare-metal NAS.

Update: After enabling Core 2 Duo CPU compatibility for the VM (only available with the pro version of VMM) it works perfectly. Unfortunately this isn't an option for most people (me included) as it requires a valid S/N and MAC combo to obtain a trial and or purchase a VMM pro license for $130.

Maybe there's some way to force this instruction set in the hyper-visor without a license?

just an update ...

i'd forgotten to mention the above T30 issue was under DS3617sx.

once i'd upgraded (sidegraded?) to DS918+, no issue running linux via VMM.

weird?

dhrr2

4 hours ago, dh22r said:

just an update ...

i'd forgotten to mention the above T30 issue was under DS3617sx.

once i'd upgraded (sidegraded?) to DS918+, no issue running linux via VMM.

weird?

dhrr2

Does changing model require a re-import of your data? It's possible VMM is fine tuned for the CPUs it's designed for. This is likely why people running as a DS3615xs and DS3617xs have no issues with VMM on enterprise Xeon hardware (as far as I know).

nope ... on the migration/update page to DS918+, i  chose to keep my existing data & configs when asked.