XPEnology Community

Can hard disk with bad sectors still be used?

benjistark

Question

I just did a fresh install of DSM 6.1. While creating a RAID 5 group, there is an alert that it found 4 bad sectors in one of the hard disk. However, the status shows the system is healthy and the hard disk is normal. I am wondering is it still save to continue with the RAID 5 parity consistency check or should I cancel the whole thing and replace the hard disk and rebuild again?

Edited by benjistark

12 answers to this question

there is also a good explanation why the appearance of bad sectors is a sign that should not be ignored and the disk should be replaced asap

"...

There are two types of remapping by disk hardware: P-LIST (mapping during factory production tests) and G-LIST (mapping during consumer usage by disk microcode).[1]

There are a variety of utilities that can read the Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) information to tell how many sectors have been reallocated, and how many spare sectors the drive may still have.[2] Because reads and writes from G-list sectors are automatically redirected (remapped) to spare sectors it slows down drive access even if data in drive is defragmented. If the G-list is filling up, it is time to replace the drive.[3]

..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector

1 minute ago, Polanskiman said:

You can let it finish. Then replace it. No matter the raid I never recommend keeping faulty HDDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i usually replace the hard disk when the server gave me error in red. anyway, thanks. I will replace it when I have the means.