benjistark

Can hard disk with bad sectors still be used?

Question

I just did a fresh install of DSM 6.1. While creating a RAID 5 group, there is an alert that it found 4 bad sectors in one of the hard disk. However, the status shows the system is healthy and the hard disk is normal. I am wondering is it still save to continue with the RAID 5 parity consistency check or should I cancel the whole thing and replace the hard disk and rebuild again?

Edited by benjistark

12 answers to this question

If the HDD has bad sectors it will only get worse. That HDD should not be part of your raid or you might regret it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

there is also a good explanation why the appearance of bad sectors is a sign that should not be ignored and the disk should be replaced asap

"...

There are two types of remapping by disk hardware: P-LIST (mapping during factory production tests) and G-LIST (mapping during consumer usage by disk microcode).[1]

There are a variety of utilities that can read the Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) information to tell how many sectors have been reallocated, and how many spare sectors the drive may still have.[2] Because reads and writes from G-list sectors are automatically redirected (remapped) to spare sectors it slows down drive access even if data in drive is defragmented. If the G-list is filling up, it is time to replace the drive.[3]

..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector

thanks for your response. since RAID 5 is 1-disk fault tolerance, will it be too late if I continue to use it until the server advice me to replace it?

You can let it finish. Then replace it. No matter the raid I never recommend keeping faulty HDDs.

1 minute ago, Polanskiman said:

You can let it finish. Then replace it. No matter the raid I never recommend keeping faulty HDDs.

i usually replace the hard disk when the server gave me error in red. anyway, thanks. I will replace it when I have the means.

It would depend on how the "bad" sectors are created, if it was a pending error, re-initialize the disk would also eliminate them, especially SMR drives.

but like @Polanskiman said, don't trust them any more.

• Like 1

today, the hard disk with 4 bad sectors has failed and need to be replaced. luckily i haven't really started restoring the files into the server. I have removed the RAID group and redo the process without the failed disk.

i'm wondering can i start create volume and copying files into the hard disk while the server is checking for parity consistency?

47 minutes ago, benjistark said:

i'm wondering can i start create volume and copying files into the hard disk while the server is checking for parity consistency?

Yes you can, however performance may be affected.

• Like 1

Use Victoria to scan and repair hdd.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G930F przy użyciu Tapatalka

The question(s) in this topic have been answered and/or the topic author has resolved their issue. This topic is now closed. If you have other questions, please open a new topic.