XPEnology Community

Failed migration from 5.2 to 6.1.7, so now on 6.2 and unable to downgrade even after the tutorials - Help needed

Hello,

I've had a stable DSM 5.2 running for quite a while now. So I thought it was a good idea to upgrade it to 6.1.7. Also, because there is a good tutorial for that (i'm not that much of an expert, but have always managed with the help of this forum and not trying to have the lastest versions). It all went very smooth, until the point where I needed to install. An that's where I screwed up. It wasn't that clear in the tutorial, but I forgot to install manually. I was to quick to press install, so when it didn't ask for the DS image, I thought 'uh oh'.

So now I've got a system which is bricked at 6.2-23739. But I can't get it to downgrade to 6.1. So just to make it extra clear: I didn't accidentally upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2, but it went wrong during my upgrade from 5.2.Off course I've scanned the forum for the various downgrade solutions; the extra disk an the migration options (to DS3617XS or with the 5.2 bootloader). They mostly speak of a 6.1 previous version.

So what have I tried:

- The migration options, without an extra HDD -> Did not work. When I am on the 6.1 3617XS synology assistant doesn't find it. And every other migration option (off course with consistently re-imaging the bootloader) constantly gave me the error that I needed to update beyond the 23739 version (10) error code. 

- I've tried multiple times to downgrade with the empty extra HDD via the following route:

• Boot with 5.2 install / upgrade option
  • Install 6.1 from tutorial
  • Reboot with 'fresh' 1.02b Jun bootloader
  • Migrate 

This works as long as I have only the extra HDD. Then I can get a working 6.1 version without volume, which I can restart, shut down, etc. But the trouble comes when I plug my original HDD's. Not on SATA 0, but above. Then it always goes to restore, and then i'm back at 6.2 and have to start all over again.

From the various tutorials i've tried the following with a working 6.1:

- Plug the HDD's while the system was still running. They were visible, but 'unusable'. The tutorial said to reboot... but then -> restore option from the synology web assistant. I can't login.

- Turned it off; plugged them in, restarted: then they are migratable, but after the reboot: again restore. 

- I've also tried only my 4 HDD's, without the extra SSD; no change.

I'm now lost and don't know what to do anymore. I run a C2750 board with 16 GB ECC RAM and 4x3TB disks and a 250GB SSD for downloading.Maybe the only thing mentionable is that the C2750 has 4 SATA 3 ports of which 2 are SATA_0 and SATA_1, then 4 times SATA 2, which are SATA_2 to 5.(And the the other 2 SATA 3; SATA_M0 and M1)

My original setup was the SSD on SATA_0, SATA_1 empty and the HDD's on SATA_2 to 5. But with the extra HDD, it is know on SATA_0, the SSD is on SATA_1, but the HDD drives are then still on SATA_2 to 5. I don't know if this could influence the downgrade?

But please help me out. What am I doing wrong? Thank you very much for your help!!

You probably allowed DSM to 'auto update to latest version', always disable auto updates to avoid issues

your drive numbers probably changed due to the way the drivers/disks are enumerated in the different versions of DSM

I would go back to 5.2 as the easiest option using the 'clean drive' downgrade/repair option I worked out (search threads for peoples experience of using it)

1) Disconnect your raid drives and the SSD

2) Connect spare HDD to SATA port 1 (or lowest  numbered sata port on your system)

3) Install 5.2 from fresh loader, create admin user and server name matching live system, DONT create volume/raid. Update DSM to match your 5.2 pre update version. Check the spare hdd is shown as 'disk 1' in storage manager.

4) Shutdown, reconnect raid drives to SATA ports 2-n

5) Boot, login, repair system partitions on raid, shutdown

6) Remove spare HDD and reconnect raid drives to SATA ports 1-n

7) Boot, repair packages etc

after all is ok, re-add your ssd moving the other drive connections around

if you want to upgrade to 6.1, I would do a full hardware test with your spare hdd (raid & ssd disconnected) to make sure your network and hdd controllers are all seen with the 6.1 loader and if you might need to add the enhanced extra.lzma file, also backup data.

First of all, thank you for your reply SBV3000! I will try the clean drive downgrade. I used it to try to downgrade to 6.1, and since i tried multiple times i got really acquianted with it. ;-)

I didn't come to the point to even select the update options in the install fase and/or disable them in the config panel. I just pressed 'install' during the installation phase. Where I should have selected 'manual installation'. My guess is by pressing 'install' it automatically installs the latest software version right from synology. (But as mentioned, i'm most certainly no expert on the xpenology topic).

And thanks for the upgrade tip. As I mentioned, I already had a working 6.1 version on a clean disk. And I also saw the HDD's being added as I plugged them in. So most of the hardware is ok and working under 6.1The only thing that wasn't ok, was that it mentioned that i had only a 10/100MB LAN connection. I have a asrock C2750D4I board, with 2x the Intel i210. And I've set it to share the LAN. Maybe it's also smart to figure out which settings would work the best. But I will start another topic for that if I can't find the answer here. 

I will let you know the outcome of the 5.2 downgrade trial. 

9 hours ago, djjvb said:

First of all, thank you for your reply SBV3000! I will try the clean drive downgrade. I used it to try to downgrade to 6.1, and since i tried multiple times i got really acquianted with it. ;-)

I didn't come to the point to even select the update options in the install fase and/or disable them in the config panel. I just pressed 'install' during the installation phase. Where I should have selected 'manual installation'. My guess is by pressing 'install' it automatically installs the latest software version right from synology. (But as mentioned, i'm most certainly no expert on the xpenology topic).

And thanks for the upgrade tip. As I mentioned, I already had a working 6.1 version on a clean disk. And I also saw the HDD's being added as I plugged them in. So most of the hardware is ok and working under 6.1The only thing that wasn't ok, was that it mentioned that i had only a 10/100MB LAN connection. I have a asrock C2750D4I board, with 2x the Intel i210. And I've set it to share the LAN. Maybe it's also smart to figure out which settings would work the best. But I will start another topic for that if I can't find the answer here. 

I will let you know the outcome of the 5.2 downgrade trial. 

if by lan sharing you mean teaming the nics, I would try disabling that as there might be negotiation problems with the switch

hi all,

I'm in a similar situation and very  desperate for help. 😪

Rather than starting on 5.2, I was on 6.1.7 15284 with Jun loader 1.02 and decided to go to 6.2  23739 but hadn't spotted that 6.2.1-23824 warning.  I was  tired and thought it was the former warning which 1.03b fixed (I'd researched for hours weeks ago and decided to wait).  Without realizing 23824 was now out,  I accidentally let the Syno assistant pick auto update. It all looked fine, did some reboots, but then went horribly wrong.  That's when I spotted Polanskiman's warning message was a different version and felt sick.  I feel very very very stupid and it's not the sort of thing I usually do.  

I've since tried putting a spare wiped drive into slot 1 and running loader 1.02 again, hoping it might let me get into a reinstall.  It won't detect the Synology at all.

Trying to boot 1.03 just gives a red screen halt.

I haven't tried recreating the boot USB - but have tried reading the original disks 1 and 2 (out of 4) in my PC to see if I can read any data.  I can't get them to mount or read with any of the apps like Linux Reader, Ext2, and Ubuntu - but they won't see anything.  Now I'm really worried that the disks are unrecoverable and totally puzzled as to why a clean drive won't start a fresh install.

It's a baremetal HP Microserver Gen 8. 

It's sitting at the "Decompressing Linux...Parsing ELF....Done.  Booting the Kernel" in the terminal.

Please help if you can sbv3000 or anyone else.