XPEnology Community

Upgrading from 4.2 to ...

remy

I first want to apologize if this issue has been addressed. I searched this forum but did not find anything on this subject. If there is a thread on this, please kindly post it I will start my research there.

I am using a home built unit (custom PC with RAID 5, 4 disk) with the software noted below. It was installed using an USB drive. Does the USB drive need to be installed at all times? Or is it just needed for the install? I have never removed it to test.

When attempting to upgrade (even within the same version, like from 4.2-3211 to 4.2-3827) it fails either in error or in not completing process. I have read in some places to disable HTTPS and that has been done.

Process 1: Upgrading from within the system by letting it DL the next upgrade, in this case 4.2-3827.
Start
Download the recommended version
Get the DSM DL complete notice
Click on Upgrade Now
Confirm with Yes on the next screen
"Preparing for system update" window pops up
Then get the Unknown Error Occurs (Error 21).
End

Process 2: Upgrading from a manually downloaded 4.2-3827 on external drive
Start
File downloaded to a folder that is shared with open access to all file read\write for everyone
Select 3827
Confirm on the next window
Transferring data to the server. Please wait...
After 2 mins, "Unknown Error occurs (Error No:21)
End

Process 3: Upgrading from a manually downloaded 4.2-3827 on a folder from the NAS
Start:
File downloaded to a folder that is on NAS that has open access to all \\DISKSTATION\music
Select 3827
Confirm on the next window
Transferring data to the server. Please wait...
Clears logs (Notice log window clearing out)
Preparing for system update...
And we wait......................................................
This is where it will sit for as long as I would let it.
Hit back button to end process and restart server.
End

This time I just notice that the system is asking for JAVA. Not sure if this is going to help or hurt but I installed it successfully.

Process 4: Server Restarted and confirmed all services has stopped. Upgrading from within the system by letting it DL the next upgrade, in this case 4.2-3827.
Start
Download the recommended version
(Taking much longer to DL, this is after going thru system and turning down all services. Java v6.37 installed)
Get the DSM DL complete notice
Click on Upgrade Now
Confirm with Yes on the next screen
"Preparing for system update" window pops up
Update Progress.... YAH!!!!! (Got all the way up to 3%)
Short lived... DSM Update: Unknown error occours (Error 21).
End

Any assistance you can provide would be grateful

Model Name: DSM3612xs
Current DSM Version: DSM 4.2-3211
DSM date: 2013/04/16

Edited by Polanskiman
Unreadable OP.

First things first. An effort on the formatting would have been more than welcomed. Honestly your post is a pain in the neck to read. I will edit it this time.

Now regarding your issue. Honestly, what are you still doing on DMS 4.2? At least I would recommend you to go for DSM 5.2 as a minimum. DSM 4.2 is so outdated and is probably prone to many security holes. Now I can understand that you might want to stay with DSM 4.2 if you have very specific needs and if that is the case, then please explain those. Why I am asking this you might ask? Well if being on DSM 4.2 is really not by choice but more by laziness then it will save me and others the time of explaining issues with such an old loader. If going to DSM 5.2 or even DSM 6.1 or 6.2 is not a problem them I will be more than happy to give you some guidance.

Please provide your hardware specs as well.

Polanskiman,

apologies for the hard to read post.  Just attempting to put everything in there that I can

If it was not clear, I am attempting to get off of 4.2  But keep running into the issues outlined in my post.  

honestly at this point I would happy just to have an upgrade of any kind just to go thru to completion.