blueman

No diskstation found within LAN

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

I've just moved from a working 5.2 Xpenology to different hardware and trying to get 6.2 installed. I am using Jun's DSM 6.2 loader and trying to load DS3615XS_15284.PAT file. My hardware is below:

 

Asus P8B75-M LX motherboard

i3-3220 CPU

Onboard SATA ports

Onboard LAN

Additional Marvell 88SE63xx/64xx PCI-e SATA card

Additional ASMedia 106x PCI-e SATA card

Additional TP-Link TG-3269 PCI Ethernet card

 

I am able to boot from USB, go to find.synology.com and it recognises the DSM with data from a previous DSM and tells me I can migrate or do a clean install. I first tried to migrate and it went through the process then rebooted but was unable to find the DS on the LAN. I then rebooted again with the same issue. I chose baremetal reinstall option and the DSM is found with the option to migrate or clean install again. I chose reinstall, went through the process and reboot - unable to find DS on LAN again. Every time I choose the baremetal reinstall option I can find the DS on the LAN, but after installation and reboot it goes missing again.

 

I will try to format the drives (data is backed up) and try to set everything up with 6.1 if I can't find a solution, but thought I'd check here and see if I'm missing something before I give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this, I will try when I get home. So I find this folder on the USB stick with the loader?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, blueman said:

Thanks for this, I will try when I get home. So I find this folder on the USB stick with the loader?

No, the folder will be on the installed HDD's not the the USB stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, echen said:

somebody advise as follow, for your reference:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12952-dsm-62-loader/?do=findComment&comment=94323

 

for everyone with issues concerning network and services after upgrade:

Try deleting the .xpenoboot folder locate in the root folder (if present).

4 hours ago, Dfds said:

No, the folder will be on the installed HDD's not the the USB stick.

How can I access the hard drives to delete the folder when I can't get into the web management?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blueman said:

 

How can I access the hard drives to delete the folder when I can't get into the web management?

Try booting from a live Ubuntu USB stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Dfds said:

Try booting from a live Ubuntu USB stick.

So I booted to Linux and mounted the RAID volume but couldn't find an xpenoboot or .xpenoboot folder to delete.

 

I then setup Jun Loader 1.02b on the USB following the tutorial here. I went to find.synology.com and found the diskstation, it said that it recognised a DSM from a previous system and needed to repair the system. I chose repair, waited for it to complete and reboot, then had the same issue of diskstation not found on the LAN. Rebooted the NAS and chose Baremetal Reinstall and same issue - can't find the diskstation on the LAN.

 

So I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I do have a copy of the data from the NAS so I will try to format the drives and run it again, but I'm not sure how to remove the drives from the RAID volume inside Linux. I used mdadm and lvm to mount the drives to check for the xpenoboot folder.

 

*EDIT* Interestingly when I login to my router I don't see the NAS as a connected device, and yet I was able to see it there the first time and when I booted to reinstall on the newer loader. It seems something about the existing data is causing issues with DHCP or something, but I can't find a way to 'install from scratch' within the web manager initial setup so I think I will need to either format the volume and separate the drives or delete all files/folders from the volume that aren't specifically shares I've created. It seems other people are able to 'upgrade', 'migrate' or 'recover' their data, I'm not sure why I can't?

Edited by blueman
Update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, blueman said:

So I booted to Linux and mounted the RAID volume but couldn't find an xpenoboot or .xpenoboot folder to delete.

 

I then setup Jun Loader 1.02b on the USB following the tutorial here. I went to find.synology.com and found the diskstation, it said that it recognised a DSM from a previous system and needed to repair the system. I chose repair, waited for it to complete and reboot, then had the same issue of diskstation not found on the LAN. Rebooted the NAS and chose Baremetal Reinstall and same issue - can't find the diskstation on the LAN.

 

So I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I do have a copy of the data from the NAS so I will try to format the drives and run it again, but I'm not sure how to remove the drives from the RAID volume inside Linux. I used mdadm and lvm to mount the drives to check for the xpenoboot folder.

 

*EDIT* Interestingly when I login to my router I don't see the NAS as a connected device, and yet I was able to see it there the first time and when I booted to reinstall on the newer loader. It seems something about the existing data is causing issues with DHCP or something, but I can't find a way to 'install from scratch' within the web manager initial setup so I think I will need to either format the volume and separate the drives or delete all files/folders from the volume that aren't specifically shares I've created. It seems other people are able to 'upgrade', 'migrate' or 'recover' their data, I'm not sure why I can't?

So I tried 1.03b loader and DSM 6.2 23739.pat on a spare single hard drive with all the other drives disconnected. Diskstation was found and recognised as not installed. Ran the install, did the reboot and can't find it again. It must be something else about the configuration that is causing issues but I have no idea what...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When on live ubuntu please do one of the following:

lshw -class network
lspci -k
lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'

Post the result.

 

In principle the module for that NIC should be r8168 or r8169 but just want to make sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

When on live ubuntu please do one of the following:


lshw -class network

lspci -k

lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'

Post the result.

 

In principle the module for that NIC should be r8168 or r8169 but just want to make sure.

 

Thanks for the reply Polanskiman.

 

Spoiler

*-network                 
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       logical name: enp3s0
       version: 06
       serial: fc:aa:14:71:f6:23
       size: 1Gbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl8168e-3_0.0.4 03/27/12 ip=192.168.1.145 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
       resources: irq:18 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:f7a00000-f7a00fff memory:f0000000-f0003fff
  *-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
       logical name: enp5s0
       version: 10
       serial: c0:4a:00:03:9b:55
       size: 10Mbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: bus_master rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
       resources: irq:19 ioport:c000(size=256) memory:f7920000-f79200ff memory:f7900000-f791ffff

 

 

Spoiler

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller
    Kernel driver in use: hsw_uncore
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 4th Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI
    Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller
    Kernel driver in use: mei_me
    Kernel modules: mei_me
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI
    Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev d5)
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev d5)
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI
    Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation B85 Express LPC Controller (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd B85 Express LPC Controller
    Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
    Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode]
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
    Kernel modules: i2c_i801
01:00.0 RAID bus controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6440 SAS/SATA PCIe controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6440 SAS/SATA PCIe controller
    Kernel driver in use: mvsas
    Kernel modules: mvsas
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
    Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Onboard Ethernet
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel modules: r8169
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 41)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel modules: r8169
06:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

 

 

Spoiler

Kernel driver in use: hsw_uncore
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
    Kernel driver in use: mei_me
    Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
    Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel driver in use: mvsas
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel driver in use: ahci

 

 

   

 

Edited by Polanskiman
Added code tags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you try using the custom ramdisk provide by IG-88 for 918+:

Or are you using another model version like ds3615xs or ds 3617xs?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Did you try using the custom ramdisk provide by IG-88 for 918+:

Or are you using another model version like ds3615xs or ds 3617xs?

 

I am using ds3615xs. Is this the correct DSM for my hardware? I would be happy to try another ramdisk, just seems strange that I was able to get it to boot and recognise before installation/migration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That module has created problems in the past if I remember well. I think what is happening is that when DSM installs a newer/older version of that module is being used.

 

Can you insert a PCie NIC and try installing DSM like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

That module has created problems in the past if I remember well. I think what is happening is that when DSM installs a newer/older version of that module is being used.

 

Can you insert a PCie NIC and try installing DSM like that?

Sure, I can try that. At the moment I have the onboard nic (RTL8111/8168/8411) and a pci nic (RTL8169). I was planning on using them both for link aggregation if possible. Do you know which is the troublesome module? Also, would it help to try a different disk station version than ds3615xs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got the same issue. Attempted to set up docker dsm and the virtual switch and lost access to the xpenology box. Have tried plugging in a live Ubuntu disk, can mount the data and the system drive but no sign of the xpenoboot folder. I’m fairly desperate to get this up and running otherwise might have to do a total copy and wipe and reinstall. Any help would be appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now