XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

luchuma

Did a fresh install on ESXi 6.7 Update 1 with Jun's Loader 1.03b and 3615xs ...

Everything worked fine when following this tutorial except the ethernet setting. I changed the default to E1000e.
Then I could install the latest DSM 6.2.1 (23824) without any issues and added a RDM mapped harddisk.

Grrr... still not working.

Let me confirm. These are the only two files I need? These are uploaded to ESXi

synoboot.img - edited with MAC & SN (from synoboot_3615.zip)

synoboot.vmdk - only 1KB ?? Do I need the synoboot.img ? if so do what with it? (from DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01)

2018-10-17 20_35_22-D__data_Downloads_Synology_6.2_Z again_1synoboot_3615.png

Edited by Georg

On 8/31/2018 at 11:53 PM, luchuma said:

DSM 6.2.1-23824 - DSM_DS3615xs_23824.pat is working on VM

change vm network settings vm adapter to e1000e (default is vmxnet3)

Little confused here - DSM_DS3615xs_23824.pat is working or not (or only on a VM)?

Thanks for your tutorial by the way, with your help I finally managed to install DSM 6.2!

Running DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat on VirtualBox (yes!) but want to try on bare metal, too.  Any advice?

On 10/7/2018 at 1:44 AM, doughnet said:

after i install the PAT file it reboots and says that it has to recover and due to the drives have been moved ... i have 2 drives added on SATA 1 under 1:0 & 1:1

I have the same trouble and it makes no difference if I use only one, two or three drives

I installed it step by step according to this thread on 3 different ESXi servers without any issues. 
In the first step I chose synoboot.vmdk out of the zip file, linked under step one, the synoboot.img in step two I took out of the synoboot_3615.zip that can be downloaded via the link in step 2.

One exception: Instead of the .pat in step 3 I downloaded the newest version directly from the synology server. No issues with 6.2.1 - Update 1. 

Then, I first installed it with two discs only, Sata 0.0 for the synoboot.vmdk in step one.
As second disc I added a new 8GB disc on Sata 1.0.

Additional discs I added after the VM is running as Sata 1.1 and Sata 1.2.

If you've not followed the instructions correctly and did not remove the CD player, the system might try to boot from CD and you have two options: 
Remove the CD Player or adjust the boot order in the BIOS.

Hope, this helps you troublesooting ...

Hey,

I am thinking of following this guide to get my colo storage in better shape. If I wanted to back the VM up, what parts are actually what? I assume the OS is on the actual drives themselves? So if I had a storage failure on my ESXi host, I would just rebuild the bootloader? 

If my VM failed, could I throw the disks in a real Synology and access the data?

Thanks 

18 hours ago, MooseMan123 said:

Hey,

I am thinking of following this guide to get my colo storage in better shape. If I wanted to back the VM up, what parts are actually what? I assume the OS is on the actual drives themselves? So if I had a storage failure on my ESXi host, I would just rebuild the bootloader? 

If my VM failed, could I throw the disks in a real Synology and access the data?

Thanks 

Yes and Yes (as long as the disks are passed through or accessed as RDMs)

Several years ago, I migrated a set of disks attached to baremetal Xpenology install to DSM VM hosted on ESXi.  I have the disks attach to a dedicated SATA adapter and this is passed through to the DSM VM,.  DSM has complete control of the disks (they're not visible in ESXi).  I've also tested going back the other way.  You need a motherboard and CPU that supports DirectPathIO to pull this trick off.  I believe it's also possible by passing the disks through as Raw Device Mappings (RDM), I do have a disk passed through to another DSM VM this way, but I haven't tested it's portability.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:26 PM, hpk said:

Hope, this helps you troublesooting ...

thanks, @hpk, I finally made it work.

I redownloaded everything and tried again from scratch. Seems like I had boggled up the .img File somehow. Now it's running again!

Now to get those VLANs up to isolate the test-environment for AD-testing and I'm good. Happy times.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

Does the VMDK simply point to the synoboot.img?

If I want to update my bootloader, do I just simply swap the synoboot.img thats located in the datastore, or do I need to get a new VMDK and IMG file?

On that same note, is it even possible to just swap out the bootloader, say going from 1.03 to 1.04, since they use different base NAS models?

Edited by MooseMan123

I have this working on ESX 6.7 but the performance is REALLY unusable.  Any suggestions?

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.1-23739 Update 2 DSM 6.2.1-23824

- Loader version and model:  JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615xs

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: Esxi 6.7.0

CPU: 2 Intel X5675 @ 3.07Ghz

Memory: 191.94GB

VM Config:

CPU: 8vCPUs

Memory: 64GB

Hard Disk 1: Sata 0:0 (Boot Image)

Hard Disk 2: Sata 1:0 (Data Disk)

Network Adapter: E1000e

Note:  Using a 3617 Boot Image and a 3615 Serial Number resulted in no network access/boot failure.  Correcting serial number back to 3615 S/N and system booted correctly.

The performance on this system is horrid.   Even the UI is super slow on DSM.    Memory and processor are averaging 1% but the performance is essentially unusable. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I've looked on some of the Synlogoy forums and it does appear some people are complaining about performance of the GUI.

I just copied over a 20GB file in about 7 mins so the disk performance seems ok.

Here's the serial output -

[H[J[1;1H[?25l[m[H[J[1;1H[2;20HGNU GRUB  version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.14

[m[4;2H+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+[5;2H|[5;79H|[6;2H|[6;79H|[7;2H|[7;79H|[8;2H|[8;79H|[9;2H|[9;79H|[10;2H|[10;79H|[11;2H|[11;79H|[12;2H|[12;79H|[13;2H|[13;79H|[14;2H|[14;79H|[15;2H|[15;79H|[16;2H|[16;79H|[17;2H+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+[m[18;2H[19;2H[m     Use the ^ and v keys to select which entry is highlighted.          

Press enter to boot the selected OS, `e' to edit the commands       

before booting or `c' for a command-line.                           [5;80H [m[5;3H DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal with Jun's Mod v1.03b                               [m[5;78H[m[m[6;3H DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal with Jun's Mod v1.03b Reinstall                     [m[6;78H[m[7m[7;3H*DS3615xs 6.2 VMWare/ESXI with Jun's Mod v1.03b                             [m[7;78H[m[m[8;3H                                                                            [m[8;78H[m[m[9;3H                                                                            [m[9;78H[m[m[10;3H                                                                            [m[10;78H[m[m[11;3H                                                                            [m[11;78H[m[m[12;3H                                                                            [m[12;78H[m[m[13;3H                                                                            [m[13;78H[m[m[14;3H                                                                            [m[14;78H[m[m[15;3H                                                                            [m[15;78H[m[m[16;3H                                                                            [m[16;78H[m[16;80H [7;78H[22;1H   The highlighted entry will be executed automatically in 1s.                 [7;78H[22;1H   The highlighted entry will be executed automatically in 0s.                 [7;78H[?25h[H[J[1;1H[H[J[1;1H[H[J[1;1H[H[J[1;1Hpatching file etc/rc
patching file etc/synoinfo.conf
Hunk #1 FAILED at 291.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/synoinfo.conf.rej
patching file linuxrc.syno
Hunk #3 succeeded at 552 (offset 1 line).
patching file usr/sbin/init.post
cat: can't open '/etc/synoinfo_override.conf': No such file or directory
START /linuxrc.syno
Insert basic USB modules...
:: Loading module usb-common ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usbcore ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ehci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ehci-pci ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ohci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module uhci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usb-storage ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module BusLogic ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module vmw_pvscsi ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module megaraid_mm ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module megaraid_mbox ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module megaraid ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module scsi_transport_spi ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptbase ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptscsih ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptspi ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptsas ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptctl ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module megaraid_sas ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mpt2sas ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mpt3sas ... [  OK  ]
Insert net driver(Mindspeed only)...
Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...
/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0
All disk ready or timeout execeed
[    1.900290] md: invalid raid superblock magic on sdb5
Partition Version=7
 /sbin/e2fsck exists, checking /dev/md0...
/sbin/e2fsck -pvf returns 0
Mounting /dev/md0 /tmpRoot
------------upgrade
Begin upgrade procedure
No upgrade file exists
End upgrade procedure
============upgrade
Wait 2 seconds for synology manufactory device
Sun Nov 11 14:57:15 UTC 2018
/dev/md0 /tmpRoot ext4 rw,relatime,journal_checksum,data=ordered 0 0
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0