XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

luchuma

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before or in the wrong place but I was hoping you could help please? It's not directly related to XPen but I want to install on ESXi and cannot get my box to recognise the arrays.

At my home I got a Supermicro server X9SRL-F (is an old but still good 2014) with an Adaptec ASR7805 RAID SAS connector on 8 hard drives. The computer itself has an Intel Xeon E5-2630LV2 CPU / 50GB RAM. I have tried many things with the box but I can't get VMware installed. I have already tried 5.1 and 6.2 but somehow the VMware does not see the arrays - do you have an idea what this could be? I have created arrays in the control tool but when I boot the box from the CD it does not see the drives where it has to install. With Windows 10 I have managed without problem, it sees the arrays immediately only with VMware it does not see the arrays??? 😞

From VMware HCL, the driver looks not included in the installer since listed are all async,  thus you need to download it and make it into installer.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=34053&deviceCategory=io&details=1&keyword=7805&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc

Ask google how to put async driver to installer.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry but I'm unable to add the 4th hdd to my working xpenology 6.22 on esxi 6.7.

Then, I stop the virtual machine, then I edit the configuration, then I do add hdd, new hdd standard and here is an error.
Yellow popup that says: "The disk size specified is greater than the amount available in the datastore. You cannot overcommit disk space when using a thick provisioned disk. You must increase the datastore capacity, or reduce the disk size before proceeding." Ok, in fact location is wrong. I set the right location to my new hdd previously prepared on the esxi 6.7 storage. I set the capacity of the hdd to maximum and the errors disappear and the window turns green, then I set on sata controller 1 in order to have sata (1: 2), because the third disk is on sata (1: 1) but I can not save, the save button is gray, I cannot click.

How do i fix? Thanks. For installation I follow this perfect guide locate here.

right, perfect!

I use this guide to edit the .vmx file and now it works.

https://serverfault.com/questions/1017054/can-i-change-vm-settings-from-local-shell-in-esxi-6-7

I add these lines:

sata1:2.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/606c624f-afde1541-9eb4-70106f3ed70c/DSM_622/DSM_622_1.vmdk"

sched.sata1:2.shares = "normal"

sched.sata1:2.throughputCap = "off"

sata1:2.present = "TRUE"

sata0:0.redo = ""

sata1:2.redo = ""

sata1:1.redo = ""

sata1:0.redo = ""

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, DimChik2903 said:

Please tell me, I want to install DSM according to the instructions, but the OSF Mount does not give a choice of which partition to mount, mounts all 50 megabytes. What can be wrong? Thanks in advance!

Everything was fixed by installing the latest version of OSF Mount.

Great guide, all worked for me.. i got DSM 6.23739 no problems.  However if i update the DSM version, Synology cannot be found on the network again.. soo i guess i'll have to search for a trick to update.

Hi,

I have followed the steps but I am trying to move from baremetal to esxi 6.7 install, I get as far as manually installing the pat file but now I am stuck in a loop where it just says the system is recoverable, each time I go through the recovery process I end up back at the same point. Has anybody had a similar experience or any ideas on what I could try to resolve the problem?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I found out, that VM wont receive an IP form DHCP altough everything is working correct. Sometimes it receives an IP but when I reboot the VM, it wont receive any again. Very strange and I dont even use any VLANs or so.

Even when I set a manual IP directly to the interface via CLI, I'm not able to connect. But just 918+, 3615/17 are working without a problem.

Edit: It works now, it was something with my vSwitches :-(

Edited by Agent-Orange

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the guide. I managed to get it running in ESXI 6.5. I had to alter the SATA settings to get it working. Following the guide i faced the disk formatting error 35, when running with the PAT file  . After a bit trail and error the following adaptions to the guide did the trick for me :

- make sure the disk sizes are big enough (20 gb worked for me )

- for the disks i used the folowing settings :

disk 1 SATA controller 0 , SATA (0,0) 

disk 2 SATA controller 0, SATA (0,1)

• 2 months later...
On 04/06/2021 at 14:08, Agent-Orange said:

Oui, j'ai découvert que cette VM ne recevra pas de formulaire IP DHCP bien que tout fonctionne correctement. Parfois, il reçoit une adresse IP, mais lorsque je redémarre la machine virtuelle, il n'en recevra plus. Très étrange et je n'utilise même aucun VLAN ou plus.

Même lorsque je définis une adresse IP manuelle directement sur l'interface via CLI, je ne parviens pas à me connecter. Mais seulement 918+, 3615/17 fonctionnent sans problème.

Edit : ça marche maintenant, c'était quelque chose avec mes vSwitches:-(

hello I have the same problem, could you please explain how configue vswitches ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys. What is the latest version that boot1.02b supports? It is the only one that worked for me without problems in vmware esxi 6.7.

I have already tried 1.04 and 1.03 and they do not raise the IP address. after verifying the mac address of the e1000 network card.

After performing an update the system does not boot anymore. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, luchuma said:

I followed this guide to the T with 2 sata controllers and synboot set as 0:0 and my drive set as 1:0 but once botted it shows my data drive as drive 2 and shows a empty drive 1 bay. Doesn't cause issue but if I add another 11 drives I could see this causing 1 drive being lost. 

is there a way to fix this?