XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

luchuma

Ok I was confusing your "16GB virtual boot disk" with the loader disk.  Your 16GB virtual disk, if not configured as a Storage Pool, just has a copy of DSM along with all your other disks.  It can be a useful thing to have in case your passthrough breaks for some reason, but it's not strictly required.

So it actually looks like all is ok with the DiskIdxMap=0C00 setting.

Drive "5" (in the middle of the mapping range, which is probably port 4 on your LSI controller) is not currently being recognized with a drive attached.  This is not something that can be affected by DiskIdxMap.  Are you certain it is working correctly? From your original post: "That all worked fine with the 6 original disks until 1 of the 8tb disks just dropped out the next day and my array was DEGRADED." Be certain you don't have a cable or power issue with that port, or try moving to use the 8th port on the controller instead of the 4th to see if it works better?

5 minutes ago, mrwiggles said:

Thought I had followed these settings from original tutorial...I see that I should have that disk as 'Dependent' and 'Thick provisioned' given the original tutorial. Not sure if that matters or not.

It's really not relevant to our current situation - thin provisioning works fine for test, it just may not be as fast as desired for a production workload. But physical disk is better than a vmdk anyway.

3 minutes ago, flyride said:

Drive "5" (in the middle of the mapping range, which is probably port 4 on your LSI controller) is not currently being recognized with a drive attached.  This is not something that can be affected by DiskIdxMap.  Are you certain it is working correctly? From your original post: "That all worked fine with the 6 original disks until 1 of the 8tb disks just dropped out the next day and my array was DEGRADED." Be certain you don't have a cable or power issue with that port, or try moving to use the 8th port on the controller instead of the 4th to see if it works better?

Repeated reboots show the LSI BIOS seeing all 7 disks. Every time. I've isolated the missing disk to be the first disk in my case, i.e. physical slot 1. But if I remove that disk - even though DSM doesn't appear to 'see' it, then the array shows an error and goes into a degraded state again. Weird. I will swap the cable to one of the other disks just to see if that makes a difference. That will force that missing disk on to another controller port I guess. Hoping that doesn't mess with array integrity.

1 minute ago, mrwiggles said:

Repeated reboots show the LSI BIOS seeing all 7 disks. Every time. I've isolated the missing disk to be the first disk in my case, i.e. physical slot 1. But if I remove that disk - even though DSM doesn't appear to 'see' it, then the array shows an error and goes into a degraded state again. Weird. I will swap the cable to one of the other disks just to see if that makes a difference. That will force that missing disk on to another controller port I guess. Hoping that doesn't mess with array integrity.

And note that I bought brand new cables to go with the new LSI controller since the connectors were different on the card itself. Not that that means there isn't a cable issue but I'll do the cable/connector move on the disk side tomorrow just to see if that shows a currently recognized disk disappearing. If not then not sure what is up given the BIOS confirms of all 7 disks being available. Ugh.

BTW: is there a way to hide the 16gb vdisk from showing up in DSM?

LSI controllers seem to do weird things with DSM assigning ports dynamically.  I'm not a fan, plain old AHCI ports seem to be the least problematic.
Not sure it will help, but there may be a newer LSI driver in the extra.lzma compiled by @IG-88

Moving disks doesn't break array integrity, but it is best if you don't move disks while the array is degraded.

You might understand a bit more about what is going on if you cat /proc/mdstat the array when in each state as you describe above for comparison's sake.

8 minutes ago, mrwiggles said:

Repeated reboots show the LSI BIOS seeing all 7 disks. Every time. I've isolated the missing disk to be the first disk in my case, i.e. physical slot 1.

Our posts are coming in asymmetric, but this is something to consider...

You might find that if you delete the 16GB vdisk and controller, all your LSI disks are visible.  If that turns out to be true, I will explain why.

If you want to keep the 16GB vdisk, I will provide a grub config suggestion that may resolve the problem.

8 hours ago, flyride said:

Our posts are coming in asymmetric, but this is something to consider...

You might find that if you delete the 16GB vdisk and controller, all your LSI disks are visible.  If that turns out to be true, I will explain why.

If you want to keep the 16GB vdisk, I will provide a grub config suggestion that may resolve the problem.

So, just to confirm, I can delete the entire 2nd SATA Controller AND the 16gb virtual disk that has xpenology6.2? So I would be left with the single vController that is 50mg with synoboot. What is the point of creating the 16gb disk and 2nd controller in the first place as per the tutorial? I had thought that 16gb disk was where DSM lives (along with any DSM apps I install) so a little unclear on that point. Pretty sure DSM is not on the array itself. Just trying to understand.

I will back up the VM and delete that controller as you suggest and see what happens. Will report back. Thank you @flyride

35 minutes ago, mrwiggles said:

So, just to confirm, I can delete the entire 2nd SATA Controller AND the 16gb virtual disk that has xpenology6.2? So I would be left with the single vController that is 50mg with synoboot. What is the point of creating the 16gb disk and 2nd controller in the first place as per the tutorial? I had thought that 16gb disk was where DSM lives (along with any DSM apps I install) so a little unclear on that point. Pretty sure DSM is not on the array itself. Just trying to understand.

The 16GB is simply an example of creating some virtualized storage for DSM in the tutorial.  Every disk you use with DSM has three partitions created on it - DSM OS, swap and a data partition for whatever Storage Pool is created.  So DSM is in fact on all your LSI (array) disks.

8 minutes ago, flyride said:

The 16GB is simply an example of creating some virtualized storage for DSM in the tutorial.  Every disk you use with DSM has three partitions created on it - DSM OS, swap and a data partition for whatever Storage Pool is created.  So DSM is in fact on all your LSI (array) disks.

Good to know. Thank you for the clarification. Will delete immediately and update here with outcome.

5 hours ago, mrwiggles said:

Good to know. Thank you for the clarification. Will delete immediately and update here with outcome.

@flyride So I deleted the 16gb vdisk and vcontroller and powered back up into the vm. This time all 7 disks were recognized with the previously missing one being available as 'unused' and I added back into the array. At this point all looks normal and the array is expanding into the newly added disk. Thank you for all your help with this.

Would I would love to know is why this happened to begin with. And why - attached image - slot 5 shows a blank in SM Overview. The storage pool view also shows as Drive 5 as missing. If you have any insights to share then great.

911535706_CleanShot2021-02-23at13_30.20@2x.thumb.png.69c504d38a64c8e976bfba58251222ae.png1824317890_CleanShot2021-02-23at13_30.01@2x.thumb.png.62cd52865c2dd92da492a1fffdd32720.png

This sort of issue only happens when we can overwhelm DSM with controllers - such as can happen with ESXi.

You were actually on the right track... in grub.cfg, the relevant parameter is in fact DiskIdxMap

DiskIdxMap tells DSM where in the /dev/sd naming scheme to start enumerating controller ports.  DiskIdxMap=0C says map the first disk to /dev/sdm (the loader device, because we don't want to see it taking up any of the 12 slots and "m" is the 13th letter.  DiskIdxMap=0C00 adds the mapping for the second controller to /dev/sda.

Any controller not listed is typically mapped to "00" but it's not 100% consistent. The controller order, as previously mentioned, is a function of the PCI slot number, hence the importance in the ordering in the VM.  Any controller not defined in DiskIdxMap may possibly be applied in random order (this behavior is not explicitly defined in the datasheet). Also undefined in the datasheet is what happens when two controllers overlap, but it would appear that the first controller to attempt to assign a slot keeps that slot, and the second cannot access it.

So in your case, we had DiskIdxMap=0C, which does what it is expected to do.  With no second or third controller defined, sometimes the second vSATA controller "won" and the virtual disk was assigned /dev/sda.  Sometimes the LSI controller won, and was assigned /dev/sda.  Regardless, the LSI filled out the remaining /dev/sdb,c,d... You probably did not notice that your virtual disk was missing in the latter circumstance.

We then pinned the vSATA to /dev/sda with DiskIdxMap=0C00, which made the LSI never be able to assign that port.  That became evident by your comment that it was always physical port 1.  The complication is that LSI seems to randomly assign ports to logical ports, which is also the reason for your empty port 5.  Unless you actually have a bad port or cable, populating all the ports will result in the appearance of a disk in port 5.

By removing the virtual disk and the second vSATA controller, now the LSI was always assigned the "00" in "0C00" and got access to /dev/sda.

If you had (or want) to use the second vSATA controller in the future, I recommend mapping after the LSI disk assignments, since you have 8 physical ports on the LSI.  It would also be prudent at that point to specify the number of ports for each controller using SataPortMap.  You would be limited to 4 virtual disks unless you wanted to modify MaxDisks from the default of 12.

DiskIdxMap=0C0800

SataPortMap=148

Again all of this is somewhat unique to a complex ESXi installation, so I think that it is relevant to summarize it here in this thread - but mods, feel free to split it off if that is preferred.

Edited by flyride

@flyride That is a fantastic explanation. Thank you. I really hope that others are helped in similar circumstances. I searched far and wide for a simple tutorial on 'all things disk mapping' given the various options and the impact of those options. But like you said, the hardware environment plays a role here and that will vary by user of course.

I never would have made the association that I could delete the 16gb vdisk/controller without your help. So, again, thank you.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:08 PM, flyride said:

If you passthrough the controller, ESXi does not NEED to see your disks.

Ok, so you think I can change the bios from “Enable Dynamic HP Smart Array B120i RAID Support” to “Enable AHCI Support” without losing my data?

Thank you

1 minute ago, Djilali said:

Ok, so you think I can change the bios from “Enable Dynamic HP Smart Array B120i RAID Support” to “Enable AHCI Support” without losing my data?

No I cannot assure you of that.  It depends on whether the HP controller applies a metadata wrapper using part of the disk storage or not.  But generally, running it in AHCI mode is a superior solution for working with DSM.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:37 PM, diqipib said:

Hi guys. I got an issue with installing DSM 6.2 in ESXI 6.5. DSM starts normaly, but when I try to upload "DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat" it says:

Image%206.png

That's my serial.out (Reveal hidden contents)

[H[J[1;1H[?25l[m[H[J[1;1H[2;20HGNU GRUB  version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.14

[m[4;2H+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+[5;2H|[5;79H|[6;2H|[6;79H|[7;2H|[7;79H|[8;2H|[8;79H|[9;2H|[9;79H|[10;2H|[10;79H|[11;2H|[11;79H|[12;2H|[12;79H|[13;2H|[13;79H|[14;2H|[14;79H|[15;2H|[15;79H|[16;2H|[16;79H|[17;2H+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+[m[18;2H[19;2H[m     Use the ^ and v keys to select which entry is highlighted.          
      Press enter to boot the selected OS, `e' to edit the commands       
      before booting or `c' for a command-line.                           [5;80H [7m[5;3H*DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal with Jun's Mod v1.03b                               [m[5;78H[m[m[6;3H DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal with Jun's Mod v1.03b Reinstall                     [m[6;78H[m[m[7;3H DS3615xs 6.2 VMWare/ESXI with Jun's Mod v1.03b                             [m[7;78H[m[m[8;3H                                                                            [m[8;78H[m[m[9;3H                                                                            [m[9;78H[m[m[10;3H                                                                            [m[10;78H[m[m[11;3H                                                                            [m[11;78H[m[m[12;3H                                                                            [m[12;78H[m[m[13;3H                                                                            [m[13;78H[m[m[14;3H                                                                            [m[14;78H[m[m[15;3H                                                                            [m[15;78H[m[m[16;3H                                                                            [m[16;78H[m[16;80H [5;78H[22;1H   The highlighted entry will be executed automatically in 1s.                 [5;78H[22;1H   The highlighted entry will be executed automatically in 0s.                 [5;78H[?25h[H[J[1;1H[H[J[1;1H[H[J[1;1H[H[J[1;1Hpatching file etc/rc
patching file etc/synoinfo.conf
patching file linuxrc.syno
patching file usr/sbin/init.post
START /linuxrc.syno
Insert basic USB modules...
:: Loading module usb-common ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usbcore ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ehci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ehci-pci ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ohci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module uhci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usb-storage ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module BusLogic ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module vmw_pvscsi ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module megaraid_mm ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module megaraid_mbox ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module megaraid ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module scsi_transport_spi ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptbase ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptscsih ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptspi ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptsas ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mptctl ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module megaraid_sas ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mpt2sas ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mpt3sas ... [  OK  ]
Insert net driver(Mindspeed only)...
Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...
/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0
All disk ready or timeout execeed
Partition Version=0
Partition layout is not DiskStation style.
NOT EXECUTE /sbin/e2fsck.
Mounting /dev/md0 /tmpRoot
mount: lseek failed, msg:Invalid argument
mount: mounting /dev/md0 on /tmpRoot failed: No such device
mount /dev/md0 fail, returns 
Exit on error [3] no init exists...
Sat Nov 21 15:06:01 UTC 2020
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=1014200k,nr_inodes=253550,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
linuxrc.syno failed on 3
starting pid 5427, tty '': '/etc/rc'
:: Starting /etc/rc
:: Mounting procfs ... [  OK  ]
:: Mounting tmpfs ... [  OK  ]
:: Mounting devtmpfs ... [  OK  ]
:: Mounting devpts ... [  OK  ]
:: Mounting sysfs ... [  OK  ]
mdadm: error opening /dev/md1: No such file or directory
rc: Use all internal disk as swap.
rc: No assigned swap disk (sda2) can be assembled, use all instead.
rc: Use all internal disk as swap.
rc: No disk (sda2) can be assembled.
swapon: can't stat '/dev/md1': No such file or directory
:: Loading module sg ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mdio ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module fat ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module vfat ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ip_tunnel ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module vxlan ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module dca ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module e1000e ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module i2c-algo-bit ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module igb ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ixgbe ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module r8168 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module libcrc32c ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module mii ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module libphy ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module atl1 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module atl1e ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module atl1c ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module alx ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module uio ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ipg ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module jme ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module skge ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module sky2 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ptp_pch ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module pch_gbe ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module qla3xxx ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module qlcnic ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module qlge ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module netxen_nic ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module sfc ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module e1000 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module pcnet32 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module vmxnet3 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module bnx2 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module bnx2x ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module cnic ... [FAILED]
:: Loading module r8169 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module tg3 ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usbnet ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ax88179_178a ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module button ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module synobios ... [  OK  ]
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:32:52:E8:2D  
          inet addr:192.168.2.22  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:1140 (1.1 KiB)  TX bytes:1480 (1.4 KiB)
          Interrupt:18 Memory:fd4a0000-fd4c0000 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

:: Starting syslogd ... [  OK  ]
:: Starting scemd
:: Starting services in background
Starting findhostd in flash_rd...
Starting services in flash_rd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J01httpd.sh...
Starting httpd:80 in flash_rd...
Starting httpd:5000 in flash_rd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J03ssdpd.sh...
/usr/bin/minissdpd -i eth0
(15): upnp:rootdevice
(51): uuid:upnp_SynologyNAS-00113252e82d::upnp:rootdevice
(56): Synology/synology_bromolow_3615xs/6.2-23739/192.168.2.22
(45): http://192.168.2.22:5000/description-eth0.xml
Connected.
done.
/usr/syno/bin/reg_ssdp_service 192.168.2.22 00113252e82d 6.2-23739 synology_bromolow_3615xs eth0
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J04synoagentregisterd.sh...
Starting synoagentregisterd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J30DisableNCQ.sh...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J80ADTFanControl.sh...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J98nbnsd.sh...
Starting nbnsd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J99avahi.sh...
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon
cname_load_conf failed:/var/tmp/nginx/avahi-aliases.conf
:: Loading module hid ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usbhid ... [  OK  ]
============ Date ============
Sat Nov 21 15:06:18 UTC 2020
==============================
starting pid 7215, tty '': '/sbin/getty 115200 console'

Sat Nov 21 15:06:19 2020

DiskStation login: 

As I see, this issue happens when second disk is too small. I use 100GB vdisk. So I still can't find the answer, what am I doing wrong.

The same problem:

Synoboot on SATA:0:0

Xpenology on SATA:1:0 (100Gbs)

Trying to install DSM_DS918+_25426.pat

"all data on hard drives will be erased"

Accepting and

"error (35) can´t format disk"

How to solve this?

Thanks in advance

11 minutes ago, yonn said:

The same problem:

Synoboot on SATA:0:0

Xpenology on SATA:1:0 (100Gbs)

Trying to install DSM_DS918+_25426.pat

"all data on hard drives will be erased"

Accepting and

"error (35) can´t format disk"

How to solve this?

Thanks in advance

Solved. Reordering and reconecting disks. First disk added synoboot.vmdk on SATA:0:0 (from existent synoboot.vmdk)

Second disk added (new disk created) for Xpenology on SATA:0:1

seems all ok.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:56 AM, yonn said:

Solved. Reordering and reconecting disks. First disk added synoboot.vmdk on SATA:0:0 (from existent synoboot.vmdk)

Second disk added (new disk created) for Xpenology on SATA:0:1

seems all ok.

One aditional question. The disk with the boot loader (synoboot.vmdk) on SATA:0:0 is "visible"  as a drive on Xpenology.  How can I "hide" it?.

If I add another Virtual Sata controller to the VM  and add new disks to it these are not visible on Xpenology.

Running Xpenology as a VM on ESXi, what about the param "set sata_args='SataPortMap=xyz" on grub.cfg? 

It's important? I don't know very well ifin this case should be configured or not. And how to do it.

If I append a new "real" SATA board I need to modify sata_args?

sorry if the questions seem silly but I am a newbie to both esxi and xpenology.I am simply trying to understand how disk allocation works

Please don't ask the same question in multiple threads...

Running your data drive on SATA0 invalidates many of the default settings for drive suppression and numbering.

SATA0:0 should be your bootloader and no other devices on that controller

SATA1:0 is your first virtual/RDM disk if you are using those, additional can be added to this controller

You must boot using the ESXi grub option

In grub.cfg:

DiskIdxMap=1

SataPortMap=0C00 (for DS3615xs/DS3617xs)

SataPortMap=1000 (for DS918+)

Unless you have other passthrough devices or more than two controllers, don't deviate from the above.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, flyride said:

You must boot using the ESXi grub option

In grub.cfg:

DiskIdxMap=1

SataPortMap=0C00 (for DS3615xs/DS3617xs)

SataPortMap=1000 (for DS918+)

Thanks. This is the info I needed to know.

About this:

"Unless you have other passthrough devices or more than two controllers, don't deviate from the above."

I want to add a board Asmedia with 6 SATA ports and a JMICRON with 5 SATA ports form a total of 15 ports (my main board has only  4 SATA ports. I am on ds918+

In this case how should I configure grub.cfg?

1. No passthrough for none of the boards

2. Passthrough for one or both boards

This config in possible?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenience

More information is needed. Generally, passthrough is preferable to all other options, but the card must be supported by DSM natively.  DSM does not support the SATA port doubling function, which many SATA controllers rely upon (generally if the instructions indicate the need for a driver install, a port doubler is in use).

ESXi has (slightly) more compatibility options.  If a controller is supported by ESXi and not DSM (for example NVMe), you can create RDM disks and then attach them to the second virtual SATA controller so that they may be used by DSM.

When these decisions are made, when configuration is complete, and the order of the controllers is set in the VM, then we have enough information to set up grub.cfg.

If you iwant to do this interactively, I suggest you create a new question post (possibly validating your controller models for DSM and/or ESXi) so as not to spam this tutorial.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, flyride said:

More information is needed. Generally, passthrough is preferable to all other options, but the card must be supported by DSM natively.  DSM does not support the SATA port doubling function, which many SATA controllers rely upon (generally if the instructions indicate the need for a driver install, a port doubler is in use).

ESXi has (slightly) more compatibility options.  If a controller is supported by ESXi and not DSM (for example NVMe), you can create RDM disks and then attach them to the second virtual SATA controller so that they may be used by DSM.

When these decisions are made, when configuration is complete, and the order of the controllers is set in the VM, then we have enough information to set up grub.cfg.

If you iwant to do this interactively, I suggest you create a new question post (possibly validating your controller models for DSM and/or ESXi) so as not to spam this tutorial.

I'll test one by one on a bare metal test rig and see what happens :-)

Thanks a lot

Hi All

I have looked through the thread, and I can't figure out how to solve the Recovery loop after clean install ? 

Can anyone help me ? 

I have generated a new serial, and edited the cfg file accordingly to the guide. 
What an i missing?

Thanks a lot for this :)

So my Questions are as follows.

1. I take it only DS3615 OR DS3617 will work with this and not DS918+ & it needs to be v1.03b and not v1.04 Loader ?

2. I can take all my disks and pass them thou to DSM so i can keep all my setup ?

3. Could i do an Export of all my Configs and then import it to the new DSM ? - I take it that my Physical Machine needs to be on the same Version before i do this ?

4. Another other SSD etc.. i can create an VMFS and then use it for what ever VM i want to do. 

Are there any Security Recommendations that should be done on the ESXI Host OR DSM for this ?

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by Vodka2014

12 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

1. I take it only DS3615 OR DS3617 will work with this and not DS918+ & it needs to be v1.03b and not v1.04 Loader ?

918+ works too, same rules for the min. cpu (4h gen aka haswel) and the iGPU should be usable in a vm too

2. I can take all my disks and pass them thou to DSM so i can keep all my setup ?

you can do a raw map of disks (the hypervisor is in control of the disks) or pci passthrough the controller and have the disks handled in the vm (the hypervisor does not see them that way)

3. Could i do an Export of all my Configs and then import it to the new DSM ? - I take it that my Physical Machine needs to be on the same Version before i do this ?

you can migrate the system you have, that way a update to a newer dsm is also possible, you can use backup and resore of dsm (hyper backup) and there is a special migration assistant (check synologys kb for that)

usually no downgrades (without getting your hands dirty)

4. Another other SSD etc.. i can create an VMFS and then use it for what ever VM i want to do. 

if you rdm or passthrough you cant but a disk in esxi can be formatted to vmfs and virtuial disks on that are free to use with all vm's you use

like having half of a ssd used as ssd cache (virtuial disk for dsm vm marked as ssd) and the rest can be used for vm's in esxi like a win10 vm

you could even have two virtual disks (ssd) for dsm and have r/w cache - even it one disk can only be used as read cache, the vm does not know where the virtual ssd's come from (risky scenario, daily backup should be minimum)

• Thanks 1