XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

luchuma

Hello,

Thanks for this tutorial, there is still something unclear for me...

How are handled the disks ? On a bare metal, DSM handle disks as raid or SHR...

Is it the same on ESXi ?

In case something goes wrong or if you want to migrate to a bare metal / real Syno you can directly plug disk and launch migration process ?

Is there a specific setting to set for it ?

I'm about to switch from HP N54L to HP GEN8 and I'm still unsure if I just put everything from N54L in same place on GEN8 and keep it bare metal or if I switch to ESXi...

Thank you

Edited by Orphée

• 4 weeks later...

I can even get the asistant the find my Xpenology 
It boots fine and shows the screen in attached screenshot

But my Unifi network wont even pick up that its requesting an ip or even the Mac adress 

NIC is set to E1000 

System specs 
Intel dual port GB nic 
ESXI 7.0 
Intel Xeon E5 2670
64GB ECC DDR3 1333mhz 
240GB SSD as boot and image ds1 
2 2tb drives setup as separate data stores 
4 3tb drives witch are not all seen as raw drive passtroughs 

can some one point me in a direction to get it working

ESXI-Xpe.PNG

booth did not work initially, but after some thinkering got it to work 

no i am in the process of setting up external dsm access with my owm domain, quick connect wont work :( but so be it 

My config runs like a charm with a usb 3.0 controller passed trough its now copping back my backups of media and software :)

Edited by sojab0on
quickconnect doesnt work on xpenology

• 2 weeks later...

I have successfully done what you are trying to do.

But if the installer offers to erase your drives, it does not see the correct partition structure on the drives.

Did you have the drives on a hardware RAID controller before?  Is there some other reason the partitions would not be raw accessible?

I created a 0 raid for each disk on the B120i raid card after the xpeneology installation (just before the ESXi installation).

When I start bare metal with xpeneology the disks are recognized and the DSM starts up like before.

But when I boot to ESXi and attach the RDM to the VM, I don't get my data back.

Same setup, just different boot drive.

Edited by Djilali

But they were not individual RAID0 before?  If so then the RAID0 has an encapsulation that changes the start position of the data of the disk.  Therefore your data won't be accessible in this way.

RDM needs to be exactly the same device as it was in baremetal for a straight conversion as you are trying to do.

No they didn't have an individual RAID0 before, but when I start xenology on the baremetal it works like before raid 0.
So for the baremetal the RAID0 does not change anything ...

I don't understand why it works on the baremetal and not on the VM.

If I delete the raid, the data will be erased, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by delete the RAID, but if you proceed with the dialog box earlier which clearly says it will delete your data, yes it will be erased.

To move disk from baremetal to ESXi without reformat, the disk must be exactly accessible in the same way.  Best solution would be to passthrough the whole SATA controller so there is no difference whatsover.  RDM can work but your RDM definition must be 100% correct and it should attach to the controller in exactly the same way.  If you have to change something to get it to work with ESXi, that is probably not a workable solution.

I mean clear the raid controller configuration to remove raid 0.

I am doing a RAID 0 because I had no choice. This is the only solution for the ESXi to see my disks.

I understand what you are saying but why is DSM showing my data with RAID in baremetal but not in ESXi?

Raid 0 makes no difference with baremetal why there is one with ESXi?

Running Jun loader 1.03b DS3615xs | ESXi 7.01 | LSI 3008 passthrough controller

Seeking help as I am struggling with an issue where one of the disks on my passthrough controller is missing from Storage Manager. I have 7 pass through disks but only 6 show up. The back story is that I had ESXi 6.7 running great with these disks running on a MB LSI storage controller. For other reasons I needed to upgrade to ESXi 7 and my controller was no longer supported. So I installed new LSI3008 controller and moved my disks to that. Booting my Xpenology VM resulted in my pretty much having to start over and create a new storage volume. That all worked fine with the 6 original disks until 1 of the 8tb disks just dropped out the next day and my array was DEGRADED. I added a new 10tb disk to save the array and that worked. But the original 8tb disk is still missing. I suspect this has something to do with Synoinfo.conf or grub.cfg file settings but after reading a ton of forum posts I am now lost and beyond my abilities to fix this. The missing disk just refuses to show up in Storage Manager.

Things I have tried:

- I have run fixsynoboot.sh and confirmed it is installed properly.

- I edited the grub.cfg file to update the DiskIdxMap setting to 0C00 from 0C as per @flyride in another forum post. Doing this remapped my disks to move my 16gb virtual boot disk to slot 1. But my missing 8tb drive is still missing.

Not sure where to go from here. I added another 10tb drive last night so have a total of 7 physical disks installed but only 6 showing in DSM. See images below. Would really appreciate some advice and help on resolving this.

838734952_CleanShot2021-02-22at17_25.57@2x.thumb.png.6b98e09ad4016bcd15dc5943121e68e6.png1880196787_CleanShot2021-02-22at17_25.33@2x.thumb.png.09368a08894ddc45818d76e26e043808.png

How many controllers do you have defined in your VM?

You should have at least one virtual SATA controller for the loader, and then your passthrough controller.  Are there others (even if you aren't using them)?   If you have extra controllers defined that you are not using, disk numbering and order will not be predictable.

It's important that you enumerate your controllers correctly in the VM.  Meaning, the virtual SATA that runs your loader needs to be topmost controller in the VM definition.  Delete and re-add your passthrough controller and that may work, or you can manually edit the slot on the virtual SATA controller.

DiskIdxMap is dependent upon each hardware situation, so what works for one may not work for another. That said, 0C00 is a typical value for a two-controller ESXi VM. If you changed DiskIdxMap to 0C00 and your loader showed up in slot #1, that suggests that your controllers are out of order.

@flyride I really appreciate your response and the help with this. I usually persevere with these things after much searching but this one has me stumped. In answer to your question: here is what my VM looks like: I think I have it configured correctly given the original ESXi instructions. So I guess I have three controllers then? The two virtual controllers and the SAS3008 LSI that I am passing through to DSM? Happy to share more config info from grub.cfg or syninfo.conf if helpful. Thanks again for the guidance. I almost destroyed this array an hour ago by attempting to move the disks in their physical slots. BTW: all the disks show up in the BIOS during boot sequence so I know the LSI sees them.

548440809_CleanShot2021-02-22at19_05.29@2x.thumb.png.f5912dc1c8876c6b191678cc78e8ee09.png

6 minutes ago, flyride said:

What do you use the virtual disk for (xpenology6.2.vmdk)?  Is it assigned to a Storage Pool?

Actually I don't know why. I thought it came with the original VM setup tutorial and I never questioned it. But no, not using it with any storage pool. Is this a misconfiguration on my part? The 16gb virtual disk shows up in my list of HDD and it takes a slot in the storage pool so was wondering how to get rid of that. Is that related to my problem of the missing 8tb disk?

7 minutes ago, mrwiggles said:

Actually I don't know why. I thought it came with the original VM setup tutorial and I never questioned it. But no, not using it with any storage pool. Is this a misconfiguration on my part? The 16gb virtual disk shows up in my list of HDD and it takes a slot in the storage pool so was wondering how to get rid of that. Is that related to my problem of the missing 8tb disk?

Thought I had followed these settings from original tutorial...I see that I should have that disk as 'Dependent' and 'Thick provisioned' given the original tutorial. Not sure if that matters or not.

1483387278_CleanShot2021-02-22at21_55.30@2x.thumb.png.2024ab9b0af7213a32a6111c5c288f8f.png