XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

luchuma

I'm getting confused as well.

Installed from creating a vm from scratch and injecting vmdk.

I have exactly followed the setup above and I confirm the INSTALL works properly but what about getting internet access to this Synology?

I mean when installed I can log in properly but:

1- Cannot install any package from the package center: Connection failed. Please check your network and Settings. 

2- Cannot sync the time from any online NTP Server:  "Error occured while Disktation was synchronising

Installed from OVA files for lazy one like me.

Followed the tuto on this page as well and Install worked great.

You can install package from Package center + check the DSM version and see if updates are available (only check).

You can create High availability cluster which work well ( I tried 2 time) and check the disconnection reconnexion of XPENOLOGY.

The only issue is the vm is only working on certain harware if used on esx so no possibility to move the vm using vmotion if your hardware is not identical and compatible.

I have 2 home esx built base on Shuttle computer.

On 1 esx the synology vm is working properly but if I shut it down and move it to another esx (still shuttle but different model), vm start but no network access.

It show as well an error message about the EVC compatibility if moving the vm using vmotion between 2 different hardware.

So do anyone of you had a similar issue?

What did you do to solve it?

Strange behaviour I would say.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this is already covered, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. 

I have Xpenology DSM 6.0.2-8451 running on an ESXI 6.5 box, I am looking to see if there is a simple way to update to a newer version of xpenology? I saw that  6.2-23739 should be supported and i downloaded the pat file but haven't done anything yet as I want to be sure it is as simple as point the nas to the file for the update and click go, or if I need to re-load something on the esxi end first... 

EDIT: virtual model indicates DS3615xs

Thanks.

Edited by xanderthegoober

On 5/25/2020 at 12:27 PM, xanderthegoober said:

Apologies if this is already covered, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. 

I have Xpenology DSM 6.0.2-8451 running on an ESXI 6.5 box, I am looking to see if there is a simple way to update to a newer version of xpenology? I saw that  6.2-23739 should be supported and i downloaded the pat file but haven't done anything yet as I want to be sure it is as simple as point the nas to the file for the update and click go, or if I need to re-load something on the esxi end first... 

EDIT: virtual model indicates DS3615xs

Thanks.

I have the same question. Have never had to do an update to Xpenology for compatibility reasons. Running on ESI 6.7U3 and same model: DS3615xs. Appreciate any input.

1 hour ago, vanayr said:

+1 for the OVA, I've got some oddities with this thing I have not quite figured out yet.

yep..... i try to instal ova for esxi 6.7 found on this forum but it not start on esxi 7.0

someone can help us to share ova for esxi 7.0? i use hp gen10 plus with xeon

thanks a lot

@luchuma many thanks for your guide, I've been successfully able to set my system in few steps.

I only have one question: what if something brokes, I mean i.e. esxi disk or something hardware, how can I recover my data since virtual hard drive is formatted in BRTFS and hosted inside a VMDF 6 formatted phisical drive?

I tried setting up another esxi on another system and, even if I've been able to make it run, DSM was totally unresponsive, loader "loaded" it fine but nothing.

Could you please make a guide, or pin it here if there is an existing one, on "how to recover a VMDF6 data storage drive".

Thanks a lot

@reziel84 try this one, it's my OVF: https://alebon.ns0.it:5001/d/s/557989865719903283/MUzNe6kX8xi1B8iI9R5IJHK-tQIwegdv-fbQA0etgvgc_

Let me know is it works, just add a second hard drive on the second sata controller.

Inside the same folder there is the DSM install file I currently run but pay attention, boot drive are mounted as sata driver (loader 1.03b bug)

This afternoon I'll move to a legit 216 play found for 100 euro but I'll continue testing DSM on ESXi.

DO NOT STORE IMPORTANT DATA until everything is working fine.

Edited by bonzoxxx

53 minutes ago, bonzoxxx said:

@reziel84 try this one, it's my OVF: https://alebon.ns0.it:5001/d/s/557989865719903283/MUzNe6kX8xi1B8iI9R5IJHK-tQIwegdv-fbQA0etgvgc_

Let me know is it works, just add a second hard drive on the second sata controller.

thanks a lot bonzo but i try to follow a french guide to install new dsm 2.3 on esxi 7 and it's work correctly, i just download your ovf only to check if i set all in a right way. thanks a lot for your support

53 minutes ago, bonzoxxx said:

10 hours ago, bonzoxxx said:

@luchuma many thanks for your guide, I've been successfully able to set my system in few steps.

I only have one question: what if something brokes, I mean i.e. esxi disk or something hardware, how can I recover my data since virtual hard drive is formatted in BRTFS and hosted inside a VMDF 6 formatted phisical drive?

So with respect to VMware, it's simply a file.  I would grab the free copy of Veeam, or find some other backup tool.  If you have a 2nd VMware host (I do, I want to test this) then enable HA.

@vanayr I agree with you regarding VMware, the problem is that if a standard syno blows up I can simply attach the hard drive to an ubuntu machine and recover data, if something happens to my server there is no way to have data back unless, of course, there is an external hard drive as backup and, always of course, I have one. 

Right now I switched from a 212J to esxi than back to a 216play, it reasonably good but I'll continue messing with esxi.

I'll take a look at veeam, thx for the tip.

Edited by bonzoxxx

13 hours ago, bonzoxxx said:

I tried setting up another esxi on another system and, even if I've been able to make it run, DSM was totally unresponsive, loader "loaded" it fine but nothing.

Could you please make a guide, or pin it here if there is an existing one, on "how to recover a VMDF6 data storage drive".

ESXi best practice for deploying production DSM with lots of data, is to RDM your drives into DSM or passthrough your controller. Bottom line allow DSM to access the physical drives.  Those drives are then portable to a Synology or a Linux machine and data could be recovered from them.

If a VMDK is corrupted there is very little to be done in ESXi to recover it (that is usually left to the block storage system like a physical SAN or even VMWare vSAN, but then what's the point of DSM).  And to fix that sort of problem is way beyond the scope of what anyone will be able to help with here - that would be a matter for VMWare support.