XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

luchuma

1 hour ago, luchuma said:

If its not working then you didnt follow tutorial ;)

Wysłane z mojego SM-G970F przy użyciu Tapatalka

That's very unhelpful. I have done a search around but cannot find any solutions to my problem. If anyone else had the same issue and fixed it, that'll be very useful.

Edited by GodAtum

I have downloaded the prereq software, changed the MAC address to match my VM in ESXI, and created the same VM as specified in the instructions

obraz.png

image.png

image.png

obraz.png

I boot the VM and the screen appears

image.png

after few minutes open in new tab browser find.synology.com

click connect

obraz.png

accept EULA

obraz.png

Set UP

obraz.png

And I get

294328057_FireShotCapture004-SynologyWebAssistant-10.0.0_209.thumb.png.7f3add73871939ca7993f0d1ff2d57b4.png

On 3/6/2019 at 1:51 PM, bizurban said:

I have same issue as @doughnet

After installation of DSM I get a "recovery" page.

[...]

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? 

Synology boots up and its written, that it is recoverable. I can only choose to recover. It then installs DSM and reboots just after a few seconds. After the reboot, its the same screen again, only "recover"... 
I am in a loop - has this something to do with the MAC address? I used the MAC address shown in this tutorial (00:0C:29:FD:75:B1) -> i configured it in grub.cfg and in the VM in ESXi.

Edited by Jordan

13 hours ago, Jordan said:

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? 

Synology boots up and its written, that it is recoverable. I can only choose to recover. It then installs DSM and reboots just after a few seconds. After the reboot, its the same screen again, only "recover"... 
I am in a loop - has this something to do with the MAC address? I used the MAC address shown in this tutorial (00:0C:29:FD:75:B1) -> i configured it in grub.cfg and in the VM in ESXi.

Got it working now - i now used BA:DE:CA:FC:0F:FE as MAC address and a serial number from https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/index.html 

5 hours ago, luchuma said:

@GodAtum

Did you run loader with esxi option?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G970F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I have in the grub config:

menuentry "DS3615xs 6.2 VMWare/ESXI $VERSION" --class os {
        set img=
        savedefault
        loadlinux 3615 sata
        loadinitrd
        showtips
}

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you OP!!

Excellent write up, worked on first try. 

ESXI - v6.7U3 - Success

DSM - DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4 - Success

IMG  - DS3617xs - Success

My esxi host crashed so I decided to update from 6.7 to 6.7U3. I did not setup a new Xpenology VM, instead I did a recovery. I use a raid card in pci pass-through to as an additional safeguard for my data. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 4/25/2019 at 2:26 AM, neolead said:

Okay...

Synology 24922 esxi 
Clear installed on esxi 6.7

https://mega.nz/#!eWokUSiS!6_vFRKsBzHFB2DPIUTK39azLcWPA8sl58aF9otD0Gbc
admin:$$$
mac1=0011322CA785

could please share your synoboot.img?

I've tried for past 2 days to install xpenology on esxi 6.5u1 with 1st post instructions and after installing pat and rebooting - vm doesn't load DSM..

As of yet nobody has posted an attempt to install 3617 on 6.2.3 under ESXi, so I went to check it.  Confirming it works fine with the addition of FixSynoboot.sh, but requires DiskIdxMap=0C00 in grub.cfg for drives to start at /dev/sda (isn't this true for all ESXi installs, I don't recall seeing this in the tutorials? - but I have 0C00 on all my test ESXi systems). vmxnet3 works too!

Edited by flyride
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On tutorial it says "now add another sata device" please edit it and write "now add another sata controller" I was going mad trying to setup new drives as sata1:0 without adding a second controller. Later I noticed the second controller in a couple pics below....

Another sata device can lead to misunderstandings.

I'm rereading my sentences and it seems that I'm complaining, but that's not true, English is not my mother tongue. I'm just trying to help. Also when uploading the files I created a folder (xpe3615) and then I created the new vm with the same name, xpe3615. I think that this created a conflict or similar in ESXi (because the name of the upload folder and vm folder is the same). I just began again with different names and it worked. Maybe it's only me, its 2:30AM and I'm very tired.....

Thanks a lot for the tutorial.