XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

luchuma

On 8/21/2019 at 10:55 AM, srialmaster said:

This is an APIPA address.

I was able to figure out the issue. Since I migrated the ESXi server to a cluster, I cannot use the old network. I have to use the new network created on the DSwitch.

so the problem was your network not the VM

glad i could help you ;]

On 3/18/2019 at 6:57 PM, FranzK said:

The Installer always want to format my xpnology loader (SATA:0-1).

If i says yes the Loader still boots but has no network-connectivity. 

Any Ideas?

IcTdnXQ.png

XVPnskA.png

Hi Frank,

did you find a solution to your problem? If anyone else with an idea reads this, maybe that someone can please help me?

grafik.png.509af84ea712b117ebab9d01705da376.png

I'm running this on an ASrock J3455M

ESXi boots from "Local USB", my DataStorage1 is located on Local NVMe.

grafik.thumb.png.d26b9ca67d605f32596622518de4be09.png

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I do not understand it fully as I'm a complete newbie.

What I want to add: This is a complete new install (both ESXi and XPEnology). When I accept the deletion, I get into the "recovery loop" later on that was mentioned elsewhere in the thread here. So I thought I need to address this issue first.

How do I tell the SATA-controller I've added, that it has not to use Storage1 as in my Screenshot? Do I need to format the "Local ATA Disks"?

1 hour ago, srialmaster said:

The 2nd disk should be a datastore disk. This is one of the discs you will use in DSM as a volume. Yes, it will be formatted when you first install DSM. This is normal. It actually installs part of itself on the first working hdd that is available.

Edited by nibbs

1 hour ago, srialmaster said:

The 2nd disk should be a datastore disk. This is one of the discs you will use in DSM as a volume. Yes, it will be formatted when you first install DSM. This is normal. It actually installs part of itself on the first working hdd that is available.

I just added my two HDDs (2*4TB) to a new storage and used that as the space for Hard disk 2.

grafik.png.197f3251a5d59962acfbc2fbeb071c6f.png

The installation is rebooting now (10 minutes waiting). I'm curious what will happen... Will keep you updated.

Edited by nibbs

I get the recovery in a loop instead of the credentials screen. Any ideas what I should change?

Edit:

I'm unsure about the "after 10 minutes reboot" step in the tutorial. I would like to use the Guest operation system actions but I can't do that as the option is greyed out in the drop down menu.

grafik.png.e378b3943b8d85cb4b58c7dcb1da64a1.png

Is that the correct way of rebooting as referred to in the tutorial or should "Shut down" should do the trick?

Edited by nibbs

It helped. DSM is running. I downloaded 1.03b with XPEnology Tool.

Rather it was that, or that I used Opera 62.0.3331.116 rather than Firefox 68.0.2 for the initial DSM setup... We will never know.

What surprised me the most was the fact, that DSM rebootet by itself from the the "Restarting the DiskStation" windows.

23 hours ago, luchuma said:

try use diffrent loader

Yes! :)

18 hours ago, srialmaster said:

Are you good now?

That was not an option for me as before I even started with the box I own now, I ordered a QNAP TS-453BE-2G of of amazon but canceled after I came to senses because I realized, that would be ~600 € with disks. It was neat, but with extras (NVMe-addon and adl. RAM) I was facing something closer to 800 €.

Good on you tho. I just like to tinker around, at least if I'm getting some success out of it. :)

18 hours ago, srialmaster said:

I broke down and bought the DS1819+. It arrives tomorrow.

Edited by nibbs

I have HDDs. I have 4x 3TBs, 6x 6TBs and 2x 4TBs. Right now my 4x 3TBs are in a box running FreeNAS. I have 2x 6TBs and 2x 4TBs in my 2nd ESXi server and mounted the drives as RDM directly to the DSM virtual. I have my oth 6TBs in an old machine that need to be backed up before I wipe them and add to my DS1819+ that arrives today.

I am debating on getting the NVMe PCIe card. This is my home setup, so I don't need nor will I really use that speed.

I run 2x ESXi servers on a Cisco 3750G. I am thinking about upgrading my switch to a 3750X next instead. My servers are Supermicro SoC servers running an Intel D-1541 CPU with 64GB ECC memory.

That's far from what I'm hauling in my home lab. I tried for a while to get things (Nextcloud, Openhab2) running on my Raspi 3B+ with Docker but no luck so far. I just want to migrate OH2 to ESXi and sooner or later use nextcloud also on that machine. I'm going to use the space for expanding the measly 500 GB from my DVR. Nothing fancy.
Backup of course...
I don't exactly know, what turned the ship for me, but I'd bet on the different loader (1.03b).

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 XL mit Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

i just started to install xpenology on my esxi 6.7 server after putting the .pat file, i wait 10 min. and I have a screen like it can not connect to the dsm interface.

here are the files I install:

DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01
synoboot_3617
Xpenology_Tool_V142
and the last pat of the 3617xs version

I did modify the file grub.conf to get the mac and put it in esxi.

Where can the worry come from?

thank you

Hello
i just started to install xpenology on my esxi 6.7 server after putting the .pat file, i wait 10 min. and I have a screen like it can not connect to the dsm interface.
here are the files I install:
DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01
synoboot_3617
Xpenology_Tool_V142
and the last pat of the 3617xs version
I did modify the file grub.conf to get the mac and put it in esxi.
Where can the worry come from?
thank you
I'm not an expert, but those who deemed to be one of those may need more information about your host machine.
Why are you using so outdated told?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 XL mit Tapatalk

Help!

I have running DSM6.2 on ESXI 6.7 voor 29 days without any problems until yesterday.

Suddenly my admin password is expired. And i don't remember that enabled that setting.

I had never had problems with my admin account is the past on other xpenology.

There is no other admin account on the system.

I think i need to install the software again but i don't want to lose the data on the other disks.

I have backup of all the tools and synoboot.img that i used when i installed everything.

Can some one can tell me the steps to safe install the software again.

Thanks in advance