XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

luchuma

As for networking in ESXi: It all depends on how complex your network environment is. I'll just assume you have a single simple subnet (/24), then ESX makes a virtual switch and virtually connects your VMs to it. The IP-Addresses still come from your router, as if you'd connect a physical device to your network. Ideally, you'd create a DHCP-reservation for the MAC-address of the VM on the router so the virtual DSM always gets the same IP and also gets the IP you'd like it to have, without having to fiddle with it in the networking section of the DSM

Hey guys, I succesfully installed VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-Update3-9313334-HPE-preGen9-600.9.8.5.4-Sep2018 over iLO 2 on my old HP ML350 G5, yay!

Edit:

Made it working successfully with DSM_DS3615xs_23739, but after intallation of DSM_DS3615xs_23824.pat it will not show up on the network.

NIC is E1000 - as I don't see option for E1000e in my ESXi 6.

Any ideas why I can't update it?

01.PNG

Edited by drogi

I think 6.5 is the latest possible for this old server (tried 6.7 in the begining and this CPU was refused).

Version 6.0.0  update 3 is the latest custom HPE image and I think I will stick with this one.

DSM 6.2 running smooth, all packages are latest, so this will be good enough for maybe another 2 years.

Thank you guys for help and most importantly for amazing tutorials.

Guys need some help,

I installed and everything went perfectly, but a small issues, I added 4 drives but only 2 shoes up in drive manager. All drives works in freenas.

Loder 1.03b

Diajstation 6.2

VMware 6.5

RDM Drives

Any help would be much appreciated

• Polanskiman changed the title to Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7

Following OP instruction I successfully installed DS-3615XS(DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4) on ESXi 6.7. 

I tried to load 3617XS but failed. Not sure what was wrong.  Which file you used when you load 3617XS?  I am using 1.03b loader and DSM_DS3617xs_23739.pat. But after update to 23824 it seems lost network.

16 hours ago, luchuma said:

please provide screens of disks configuration in vm and in dsm

did you change sata port map in grub.cfg?

Hey thanks, i changed it in vmware device sections! much appreciate your info! i honestly was reading in the mobile so i didnt see, thx so much mate!

Hey guys I'm seeking help. I too am only getting the option to recover once installation is complete. What I've tried so far:

synoboot.img with custom serial number

synoboot.img with default serial number

esxi 6.7 hardware

esxi 6.5 hardware

23648.pat

23824.pat

I have 3 physical drives in my server.

Tried loading syno.vmdk from 1st drive (datastore) and saving my storage drive to the 3rd drive (datastore)

Tried loading all from same datastore

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Okay I figured out the issue above. Of course it was user error 🙄. I have just setup a physical xpenology and reused files. Made the modifications to grub like I was supposed to but still, my bad.

So onto a new issue. I have a disk which is 1.8 TB dedicated to xpenology. After copying around 20 gigs the disk shows full. All 1.8 TB used. I don't even know where to start with this issue. The VM locks up and I must power it off and restore a snapshot to get it back up and running. It happened once so I rebuilt and now it is happening again.

UPDATE: It doesn;t matter what file operation I do, the result is the same. I restored a snapshot and setup storage again. After copying one file which was 1.13 GB the VM locks up and shows the drive as full. Even ESXI shows the drive as full.

Edited by mevrane

1 hour ago, luchuma said:

show disks config from esxi and dsm

I've found this guide to pass physical as RDM. I've created the RDM but when I try to add in xpenology VM i get the error "Incompatible device backing for device (device#)"

https://gist.github.com/Hengjie/1520114890bebe8f805d337af4b3a064

I've tried the guide with hardware version 6.7, 6.5 and 5.5.

Thank you for any help!

disk1config.PNG

diskconfig2.PNG

diskconfig3.PNG

5 hours ago, luchuma said:

last screen 1.8 tb but only 18gb available on datastore

I see that now but it was unrelated. I quickly set that back up to get a screenshot for you and that goes away after clicking okay and letting the screen refresh.

Thank you helping though! Setting the second disk mode to Persistent - Independent fixed the issue.