XPEnology Community

DSM 5.0 - 4458 is released today

squallelf

Can somebody explain in a few simple words why its hard to distribute a DSM 5.0 XPEnelogy version to us ?

I read this whole tread but I don't get it. Thx.

This is just my best guess:

The official package from Synology needs to be modified to be able to run on unofficial hardware.

Also, you need something to emulate the boot loader (like a USB Stick) where the original hardware has this on a chip (i think).. :smile:

Hopefully, someone with a lot more experience will be able to make a working DSM 5.0 soon. (It was released two days ago)

In the meantime, you could give DSM 5.0 beta a try as this is the latest working release.

This is just my best guess:

The official package from Synology needs to be modified to be able to run on unofficial hardware.

Also, you need something to emulate the boot loader (like a USB Stick) where the original hardware has this on a chip (i think).. :smile:

Hopefully, someone with a lot more experience will be able to make a working DSM 5.0 soon. (It was released two days ago)

In the meantime, you could give DSM 5.0 beta a try as this is the latest working release.

XPEnology is a superset of the original Synology firmware. Care must be taken to verify that all the hacks, additional drivers, etc work with each new DSM release.

The original Synology hardware uses a USB DOM (drive) for boot, so emulation is not at work. However, you don't see the USB boot drive on a Synology exposed to the user because the Kernel hides it from the user based on a VID:PID combination that matches the USB DOM in the Synology system.

I got a new kernel working including patches + my dsmgeneric module.

file arch/x86/boot/bzImage
arch/x86/boot/bzImage: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 3.2.40 (aaa@bbb) #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 14:40:01 EET 2014, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x3, Normal VGA

I see that rd.gz in the DS3612xs is not a gzip file. Any ideeas ?

LE : lzma/cpio

mv rd.gz rd.lzma
lzma -d rd.lzma
cpio -idv < rd

7zip is able to open rd.gz without issue.

Compression method indicated is LZMA:25 if that helps.

I got a new kernel working including patches + my dsmgeneric module.

file arch/x86/boot/bzImage
arch/x86/boot/bzImage: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 3.2.40 (aaa@bbb) #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 14:40:01 EET 2014, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x3, Normal VGA

I see that rd.gz in the DS3612xs is not a gzip file. Any ideeas ?

LE : lzma/cpio

mv rd.gz rd.lzma
lzma -d rd.lzma
cpio -idv < rd

wow this is a big slap in the face for all those still on 4.3! means our shit is outdated!!!!!!!! and continues to be outdated. Gives the malware writers a one up to come rape our shit. wonder when trantor will come out with a release.. never heard back from him when it came to the 4.3 update back in feb now its march!!!!!!!!!

I keep hearing this ginoboot ginoboot thing, not sure how well it gells with trantors build especially if you have data, that means you gotta scrap it and start from 0. Not a viable option for anyone out there who has terabytes of data. with that being said i hope to see the ginoboot being a easier step but what worries me is its skimming out what is originally synology. this reminds me of osx and those who would come up with amd builds was so ass backwards that it wasnt even a true genuine osx install. i like trantors method because its still within the realm of synology but just modding so it bypasses the boot rom found in synology boxes and still can be updated within the synology updater. i hope im wrong about the ginoboot,

wow this is a big slap in the face for all those still on 4.3! means our shit is outdated!!!!!!!! and continues to be outdated. Gives the malware writers a one up to come rape our shit. wonder when trantor will come out with a release.. never heard back from him when it came to the 4.3 update back in feb now its march!!!!!!!!!

I keep hearing this ginoboot ginoboot thing, not sure how well it gells with trantors build especially if you have data, that means you gotta scrap it and start from 0. Not a viable option for anyone out there who has terabytes of data. with that being said i hope to see the ginoboot being a easier step but what worries me is its skimming out what is originally synology. this reminds me of osx and those who would come up with amd builds was so ass backwards that it wasnt even a true genuine osx install. i like trantors method because its still within the realm of synology but just modding so it bypasses the boot rom found in synology boxes and still can be updated within the synology updater. i hope im wrong about the ginoboot,

Slap in the face? No one owes you anything. If you have any expectations, buy a real synology. It's only then you can expect any sort of service, or have a right to complain.

did u pay trantor or gnoboot to work for you?

if no. u better shutup, he didnt own u anything

if u want an update, u can programme a kernel yrself or buy a real synology

if u are not knowledgeable enough to do it yrself, then shutup

did anyone forced you to install this version? i don't think so! it was your very own decision and you should have known, that this project is done by great people in THEIR!!!! spare/free time... YOU complain about yout things... so either shut up, pay the real price (for each hour they work on this project) to the people here...or go and buy the real syno....

i HATE such people... want everything for free...and always complain about others..