XPEnology Community

DSM 5.x/6.x/7.x CPU name & cores infomation Change tool

FOXBI

3 hours ago, haldi said:

model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31265L @ 2.40GHz

thank you for the information.

If the script gets CPU information, it is normal to get it like this, usually E3-1265L

If there are multiple versions, It is normal to come out like the link below.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/search.html?_charset_=UTF-8&q=E3-1265L

But, This page should appear Because currently your cpuinfo gets the value as E31265L

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/search.html?_charset_=UTF-8&q=E31265L

This is how the address is generated to find the page.

It seems to be a problem caused by importing the cpuinfo information itself in the form of missing  " - "

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rayqusa said:

ah, nevermind. too hassle handling cosmetic stuff

Sorry, ch_cpuinfo has not been updated because there are no major fixes.

Please take a screenshot of how the currently used CPU ( Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5420 CPU @ 3.80GHz) looks in DSM after performing ch_cpuinfo.

In terms of name structure, it doesn't look like it's going to work.

• 2 weeks later...

wanted to know about DS3622xs+ and its core count. I see that the Xeon-D1531 supports 6/12T and the Xeon-D1541 supports 8/16T that family of cpu Xeon D-1571  supports 16/32T. Does anyone know what the Kernal supports in DS3622xs?

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, shadowcliffs said:

Tried the latest build with DS3615xs DSM 7.0.1 running with a 1037u cpu, now the cpu information shows up correctly, but the frequency of the cpu is still the same incorrect as before this patch. Any idea?

ch_cpuinfo does not get the value of the cpu frequency.

In DMS for each model, it seems that the cpu name is expressed as a fixed value, but the rest of the values are called flexibly.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:40 PM, medric said:

wanted to know about DS3622xs+ and its core count. I see that the Xeon-D1531 supports 6/12T and the Xeon-D1541 supports 8/16T that family of cpu Xeon D-1571  supports 16/32T. Does anyone know what the Kernal supports in DS3622xs?

Maybe... 24 threads.

Please refer to the link below.

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2022 at 7:35 PM, Polanskiman said:

I can confirm this still works in DSM 7.1-42661 U4

Thanks to you, it has been confirmed once again that the applied code works well as long as the major version of DSM does not change.

Thank you for your confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ask for advice: From DS3615+6.2.2-24922 UPDATE 4 through Migration Assistant to DS918+7.1.1-42962 Update 2

Now the CPU display is incorrect, and the patches can be displayed normally before the migration.

After the migration, the patch was invalid. The check may be because it came over. In some places, it was considered to be 6.2.2-24922 Update 4. Where can I modify it to the correct system version number?

image.thumb.png.bc0c4a25f2bf6f575f0c5c02a1970e99.png

image.png.a2cf646837480921c08595dead04fc75.png

image.thumb.png.22c38b26a7a506560c55d66be57bb47e.png

Edited by vipnetant

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @FOXBI  I just recently upgraded the CPU in my long time stable box.  As a result, I needed to re-run your awesome tool, and have used what I believe is your current version: ch_cpuinfo 3.3.1.r01.  I don't remember how it was before I ran/re-ran your "current tool" but here is my feedback...

Interesting to me are a few things:

1) You can see in the first image, which is actually yours...there is Synology Account, QuickConnect ID, and "Edit" link for those, as well as the Server name.

2) Your displayed CPU, also has the "detail" hyperlink.

So in the additional 2 images I have attached, you can see the screen capture of the same screen has yours, but no "Edit"or "Detail" link to click on.  It's also showing "undefined" for the correctly display installed CPU Cores/Threads/Clock Rate.

Is this because I have run your tool several times before, after at least 2x upgrade previously, or is it something with the version of DSM, or a functionality quirk in your tool? 🤠

Thank You

image.png.97fcef1479bd048cbf97fd5c7e8617bd.png

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 2.43.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 2.44.50 PM.png

@gericb 

model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

If you parse your cpu information as it is in the source, you can see that it is working normally.

In the case of others in the past, it seems that "Unknown" occurs because two lines are processed when parsing, and eventually the cpu family information (yours is i7-3770) cannot be called.

And when reinstalling DSM, it is recommended to proceed with the first run.

@vipnetant

The ch_cpuinfo tool does not modify /proc/cpuinfo information, but only serves to fetch, parse, and put the information into the view page.

When DSM is updated/upgraded, the area is initialized, and it is better to make it new rather than re-run.

Also, the DSM version information on the shell reads "/etc.default/VERSION" if there is a "/etc.default" path, and "/etc/VERSION" if there is no path.

If the past version is displayed, it may be because some past information remains.

In general, if you run ch_cpuinfo as the first run after upgrading DSM, normal output will be displayed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i just replaced the cpu in my baremetal setup to an Intel i7-8700. Its supposed to be 6 cores/12 hreads. However /proc/cpuninfo shows me 8 cpus(0-7).

When i ran the your tool to update info in DSM. DSM shows me 6 Cores (1 CPU/6 Cores | 8 Threads)

I bought the cpu fom ebay and it is a i7-8700. 

So now im wondering if the the CPU is bad, not all its cores are working? or is it simply a Snology OS/DSM thing that its not showing me the right # of cpu/threads even in /proc/cpuinfo?

I did simply just swap out my cpu. Do i need to rebuild from tcrp lader again perhaps to get the new cpu detected properly?

22 hours ago, alirz1 said:

However /proc/cpuninfo shows me 8 cpus(0-7).

I think it's probably a DS920+ or DS918+ that only supports up to 8 cores if your DSM is 7.x or higher.

as you know ch_cpuinfo simply displays information from /proc/cpuinfo.

Currently, it seems that only up to 8 cores are recognized.

If you want to show all the cores you have, you will have to build and use it with a DSM that supports 16 cores or more.

I think the link below will help.

dsm 6.x platform link

dsm 7.x platform link

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FOXBI said:

I think it's probably a DS920+ or DS918+ that only supports up to 8 cores if your DSM is 7.x or higher.

as you know ch_cpuinfo simply displays information from /proc/cpuinfo.

Currently, it seems that only up to 8 cores are recognized.

If you want to show all the cores you have, you will have to build and use it with a DSM that supports 16 cores or more.

I think the link below will help.

dsm 6.x platform link

dsm 7.x platform link

Yeh i found that out that theres a hard limit in dsm for number of cores etc per synology model. Kind of sucks.