XPEnology Community

Tutorial - VMWare Workstation; DSM 6.2 install (ESXi compatible)

Hostilian

Hi all

I just spent 20 minutes testing this in VMWare Workstation 14. Worked fine!  :)
Process probably isn't that different from ESXi - and you can always move the box into ESXi if you wanted to..

Step by step.. Sorry, didn't do any pictures, but if you know your way around Vmware, it won't be an issue..  :)

Process!
Download Jun's DS3617 .img file - 1.03b.
Convert the img file to VMDK (vmware disk) using Starwind v2v image converter (free program).

Create the new Synology VM..

note.. Move the vmdk file, created earlier, into the new VM's folder.

- Create the new VM you want to use for Synology.. Hardware compatibility ESXi 6.5 (so you can move it around).
    - Guest OS = Linux. Version = Other linux 4.x or later - 64bit.
    - Add a new SATA hard disk and opt to use an existing virtual disk. Use the VMDK created above as it's source.
    - Create 2x SCSI disks (your main Syno disks) of whichever size you need.
    - Remove soundcard, USB drives and add serial port. You probably won't need a CDRom drive either.

Edit the VM's settings!
    - Ensure that 'BIOS' is the boot method (not UEFI) - see Advanced section on Options tab. *UEFI might work - didn't test it..

Start the VM and open the BIOS settings - or else you'll find it will try to boot to the network..
    - Edit the VM's BIOS - by hitting escape when starting it - and change the boot order to ensure the SATA drive is first in the boot order. Not SCSI.. Not network. Only the SATA drive first!

That's it configured, now to install DSM.. You can follow the standard procedure for this..
- Boot the machine and scan the network for the allocated IP..
- Install the PAT file for DSM 6.2..
- Reboot, set a static IP address, update to U2 etc.

Job done.. Hopefully this is of some use!

#H

Edited by Hostilian
  • Like 1

a slightly different in details but in principle much much the same here.

download ds3615 synoboot.img 1.03b using existing synoboot.vmdk from other posts.

upload these 2 files into the datastore in ESXi 6.5 datastore where the new Xpenology vm will be created

create a new vm using OS as Other, FreeBSD 64 Bit (this gives the choice of VMnet3 in nic later)

remove the harddisk that get automatically put in by the template

add a harddisk, SATA controller 0 slot 0 using synoboot.vmdk (which points to synoboot.img by reference), either dependent or persisent doesn't seem to make a difference

add SCSI harddisks for NAS data

nic get its mac address from synoboot.img so if you need to change the licence or mac, then editing this img file has to be done

set the nic to vmnet3

complete and power up

using synology assistant to discover the vm

connect and when prompt to install DSM, choose auto install from internet and 6.2 (without update x) will be installed

after reboot etc etc, 6.2 update x can be installed.

note: could not get the various 6.1 pat files to work, downloading directly from the internet worked a treat. success with both HP N36L and N54L

can post screenshots if others are interested

Edited by flyingtrapeze

I've been trying to upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2. Stepped through the above process. The VM has booted up up with the console screen but i can't find the VM via synology assistant. 

the NIC is enabled via ESXi, tried PXE boot and that scans for an IP so the Vm definitely has networks available. Any idea whether there's a default IP assigned, thus DHCP not working for the image? 

Thx Sam

For Vmware tools you need to use Open VM Tools..

I got mine here - http://spk.4sag.ru/

Download the Application package and install manually.. I think you might need to change the trust level to 'any publisher' and possibly allow beta versions (this is done from the Syno web console)..

I think a fellow forum user (4sag) runs this site, so props to him/her..

Edited by Hostilian

I don't think it's guaranteed to have networks available just because it scans for an IP address during PXe boot..

Does it actually find an IP address via PXE?

My testing for ESXi is out of date (I last tried it on 6.1 but all my machines are bare metal - I don't have a need to install Synology inside a VM).

This test was for VMWare 'Workstation' though..

Need details.

What sort of NIC do you have and have you entered a valid serial number and MAC Addresses in the grub.cfg file (within the image or on the disk)?

You can use OSFMount (plenty of guides on here) to mount and edit the IMG File (before you convert it)..

Which hardware (server type or whitebox), which Syno hardware (918, 3615, 3617) etc etc.

#H

Edited by Hostilian

• 2 weeks later...

I tested in VMWare Workstation 14 Player, 

..and package on this file DS3617xs DSM 6.2 on VMWare. Please be sure to add at least one SCSI hard disk drive and make SATA disk drive first boot device on BIOS.

I've changed the default option boot to select VMWare and you don't need to select on VMWare. 

Regards

Edited by bluesnow
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2018 at 7:53 PM, flyingtrapeze said:

a slightly different in details but in principle much much the same here.

download ds3615 synoboot.img 1.03b using existing synoboot.vmdk from other posts.

upload these 2 files into the datastore in ESXi 6.5 datastore where the new Xpenology vm will be created

create a new vm using OS as Other, FreeBSD 64 Bit (this gives the choice of VMnet3 in nic later)

remove the harddisk that get automatically put in by the template

add a harddisk, SATA controller 0 slot 0 using synoboot.vmdk (which points to synoboot.img by reference), either dependent or persisent doesn't seem to make a difference

add SCSI harddisks for NAS data

nic get its mac address from synoboot.img so if you need to change the licence or mac, then editing this img file has to be done

set the nic to vmnet3

complete and power up

using synology assistant to discover the vm

connect and when prompt to install DSM, choose auto install from internet and 6.2 (without update x) will be installed

after reboot etc etc, 6.2 update x can be installed.

note: could not get the various 6.1 pat files to work, downloading directly from the internet worked a treat. success with both HP N36L and N54L

can post screenshots if others are interested

Followed this exactly but when the VM starts up I can't seem to find the DSM with find.synology.com or the Synology Assistant... I checked my DHCP server and the synoboot is not even getting an IP it seems... I do have VMXNET3 as network adapter and other VMs on the same port group and vSwitch work fine so I don't think it is my ESXi config... Any ideas?

On 11/23/2018 at 11:04 PM, ilovepancakes said:

Followed this exactly but when the VM starts up I can't seem to find the DSM with find.synology.com or the Synology Assistant... I checked my DHCP server and the synoboot is not even getting an IP it seems... I do have VMXNET3 as network adapter and other VMs on the same port group and vSwitch work fine so I don't think it is my ESXi config... Any ideas?

What loader/model are you using..

What CPU do you have?

If it's 1.04b/DS918+ and an IvyBridge or older CPU, it won't work..  Needs to be Haswell or newer..

Other than that, need a bit more info. What sort of Motherboard/NIC? Onboard or add-in?

If you're using ESXi, there are other threads dedicated to ESXi..

16 hours ago, Hostilian said:

What loader/model are you using..

What CPU do you have?

If it's 1.04b/DS918+ and an IvyBridge or older CPU, it won't work..  Needs to be Haswell or newer..

Other than that, need a bit more info. What sort of Motherboard/NIC? Onboard or add-in?

If you're using ESXi, there are other threads dedicated to ESXi..

1.04 loader with E5-2630v2 so yeah it would be too old I guess... :( Looking forward to a 1.04 loader for 3615 then....

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 8:51 PM, bluesnow said:

I tested in VMWare Workstation 14 Player, 

..and package on this file DS3617xs DSM 6.2 on VMWare. Please be sure to add at least one SCSI hard disk drive and make SATA disk drive first boot device on BIOS.

I've changed the default option boot to select VMWare and you don't need to select on VMWare. 

Regards

could you please tell us exactly which version did you used (pat file) ?

because I just run that vmachine and tried to installed latest update but then it did not worked.

please share with us which version did you used of that PAT file.

thanks.

Edited by nexuscan

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 11:19 AM, Hostilian said:

Hi all

Process probably isn't that different from ESXi - and you can always move the box into ESXi if you wanted to..

Step by step.. Sorry, didn't do any pictures, but if you know your way around Vmware, it won't be an issue..  :)

Process!
Convert the img file to VMDK (vmware disk) using Starwind v2v image converter (free program).

- Create the new VM you want to use for Synology.. Hardware compatibility ESXi 6.5 (so you can move it around).
    - Add a new SATA hard disk and opt to use an existing virtual disk. Use the VMDK created above as it's source.
    - Remove soundcard, USB drives and add serial port. You probably won't need a CDRom drive either.

Edit the VM's settings!
    - Ensure that 'BIOS' is the boot method (not UEFI) - see Advanced section on Options tab. *UEFI might work - didn't test it..

Start the VM and open the BIOS settings - or else you'll find it will try to boot to the network..
    - Edit the VM's BIOS - by hitting escape when starting it - and change the boot order to ensure the SATA drive is first in the boot order. Not SCSI.. Not network. Only the SATA drive first!

That's it configured, now to install DSM.. You can follow the standard procedure for this..

#H

This is better guide:

So is this:

Edited by mandreto10

20 hours ago, mandreto10 said:

This is better guide:

So is this:

You obviously don't know the difference between VMWare Workstation (that this quick guide was written for) and ESXi - which was the two guides you linked...

Maybe your guides should be linked in an ESXi tutorial, rather than Workstation??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hostilian said:

You obviously don't know the difference between VMWare Workstation (that this quick guide was written for) and ESXi - which was the two guides you linked...

Maybe your guides should be linked in an ESXi tutorial, rather than Workstation??

I quoted those guides because because I thought they were more complete.  I though your guide is incomplete because you did not:

• Provide hyperlinks to the files you mentioned.
  • Provide changes to IMG file.
    • VID, PID, MAC, SN, Boot loading options (commenting out #)
    • It's unclear whether you omitted those changes on purpose or due to neglect.
  • State which option to choose when converting to VMDK. There are 4 options:
    • VMWare Workstation growable image
    • VMWare Workstation pre-allocated image
    • Stream-optimized image
    • ESXi Server image
  • VM choice is awkward:
    • " - Guest OS = Linux. Version = Other linux 4.x or later - 64bit."
    • I have 6.5 version, and choices are
      • Other linux 3.x or later - 64 bit
      • Other linux - 64 bit
  •  
Edited by mandreto10

19 hours ago, mandreto10 said:

I quoted those guides because because I thought they were more complete.  I though your guide is incomplete because you did not:

It's a rough guide to try to help.. I don't need my efforts to help others 'marked' thank you very much.. DH...

If you want to do another, more complete, guide than the one I put together in about 30 minutes - 5 Months ago - feel free to do so in another thread!

Muddying the waters with guides for other operating systems doesn't really help AND the ('missing') info is already in many locations on this very helpful site....

You could have, instead, added the links and maybe the other little guides (freely available in many other articles here that are dedicated to those very topics) that I so naughtily missed in my 30 minute effort to put something down on 'paper' - but no, you went down another route..

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 8:53 AM, Hostilian said:

It's a rough guide to try to help.. I don't need my efforts to help others 'marked' thank you very much.. DH...

If you want to do another, more complete, guide than the one I put together in about 30 minutes - 5 Months ago - feel free to do so in another thread!

Muddying the waters with guides for other operating systems doesn't really help AND the ('missing') info is already in many locations on this very helpful site....

You could have, instead, added the links and maybe the other little guides (freely available in many other articles here that are dedicated to those very topics) that I so naughtily missed in my 30 minute effort to put something down on 'paper' - but no, you went down another route..

An excellent guide can be found here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13061-tutorial-install-dsm-62-on-esxi-67/

An intelligent and simplified introduction for any novice can be found here (written by munchgeil1): https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/14019-esxi-65-ds918-jun-104-cannot-create-vm-error-scsi03/?tab=comments#comment-104964

Edited by mandreto10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Le 12/08/2018 à 17:19, Hostilian a dit :

Hi all

Process!

Edit the VM's settings!

#H

Hello,

Why Cannot I boot on 1.03b synoboot.vmdk ?

Is this thread a fake ?

Many days I'm trying and always an issue.

I can POST all my process.

I would like to create a new syno 6.2 from scratch on vmware workstation pro 15 with 14x compatibilty if necessary.

Did you know why often, eralier version of NAS lost internet connexion after a couple of days ?

Thank you for your help.

Virtua

image.png.0d59284305b43961733ac45f5a3f5094.pngimage.png.9b4e2bb6133189f37a14de27a0046a54.png

Edited by virtuaworld

VMware Workstation 15 Pro (choose level 14)

DSM 6.2

Update :

Thank you, Tuto is right. I had pb because my previous DMS 6.1.5 was running with the same mac address.

If you wanna try install new DSM (6..2 ex) and keep your previous DSM but both are the same MAC ADDRESS ==>

To change mac address

just type  C at begin boot (just ater bios enter possibility) to go to grub prompt

grub>mac1 0011322CXXXX

grub>exit

That's all

About booting order : don't put hdd 0 or 1 in first, but hdd with complicatedest number ;) or try first with no added HDD, just synoboot, you won't can do a mistake.

No worry if you see : only

image.thumb.png.00792a062f18026bfc9673fe24b08c2e.png

and not

image.png.ed96206a86c93e68c9d6b53d65a43352.png

Advice : Don't try to upgrade version anymore.

Link loarders are here : https://mega.nz/#F!yQpw0YTI!DQqIzUCG2RbBtQ6YieScWg!OZw2QKwT

Enjoy

Virtua :-D

If someone know why after a couple of days, DSM is unreachable, please explain me !! :)

image.png

image.png

Edited by virtuaworld

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Hostilian,

Many thanks for you're tutorial, finally after 5 hours i managed to get my broken upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2 up and running again!! 

Tried several how-to/ guides. None of them worked with a combi of passthrough sata disks and vmware workstation with a bridged network adapter.

When I tried you're approach it worked flawlessly!

Thanks

Greetz

gvel 

PS edit: the step of first adding the disks as scsi is crucial, after the first boot to the dsm install page, shutdown the vm, and remove the disks and re-add them as sata disks! 

Edited by Gvel