XPEnology Community

Migrating to new hardware and upgrading DSM

Hi all,

I'm currently happily running DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2, as a model DS3615xs. I've got 6x 2TB drives with 9TB data available and 1x disk parity. I'd like to upgrade to DSM 6.1.7 on new hardware and bring across my 6x drives including all data and configuration and also add a 7th drive, but I'm not sure the best way to do this.

Should I:

1) Install DSM 6.1.7 on the new hardware from scratch with no hard drives, then plug the 6 drives in and 'import' them, then 'import' the settings from my old NAS, then add the 7th drive once everything is running well?

2) Upgrade the old NAS to 6.1.7 then setup the new hardware also on 6.1.7 and 'import' the drives and settings from the old installation, then add the 7th drive?

3) Upgrade the old NAS to 6.1.7, add the 7th drive to the old NAS, then setup the new hardware and move everything across?

Also, how do I safely transfer my existing RAID volume to new hardware, is it just a matter of making sure the same drives are in the same SATA ports on the new hard drive, then is there an option in the web management to 'import'?

Thanks for you help!