XPEnology Community

Changing to other hardware but advice on data moving& setup

mccltd

Question

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my N54l os 5.2 to os 6? but worried about the data being lost.

My current setup has 2 x 3tb drives and 2 x 2tb drives with redundancy and currently I only have 4tb of data on them..

I own another n54l so was thinking of  setting this up with v6 and adding 2 x 4tb drives in to start,( 1 drive with redundancy)  then I could copy the data from old unit to new.

Once it was done then wipe the 2 x 3tb from old unit and was hoping I could add these 2 x 3tb to the new setup with the current 4tb and extend the volume to accommodate the new drive and still have redundancy.

Would this work?

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, mccltd said:

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my N54l os 5.2 to os 6? but worried about the data being lost.

My current setup has 2 x 3tb drives and 2 x 2tb drives with redundancy and currently I only have 4tb of data on them..

I own another n54l so was thinking of  setting this up with v6 and adding 2 x 4tb drives in to start,( 1 drive with redundancy)  then I could copy the data from old unit to new.

Once it was done then wipe the 2 x 3tb from old unit and was hoping I could add these 2 x 3tb to the new setup with the current 4tb and extend the volume to accommodate the new drive and still have redundancy.

Would this work?

Yes that will work, however you will need to make some config changes to enable SHR ON 6.1. You'll need to disable C1E support in the bios & download jun's 1.02b loader, don't forget to set the correct vid & pid of the USB stick.

Once up & running to enable SHR you must ssh into server using something like putty & edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf, this file is readonly so enter following command:

sudo -i vi /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf 

comment out/delete 
supportraidgroup="yes"

then add 
support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

Once done reboot the server & you should be able to add your 3TB disks into the volume once you transferred all the data.