XPEnology Community

surveillance : use license from a real system on 3615

NoFate

25 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

Just did... and got it working (DS918+ DS6.2.1)!  😃

The only thing was that it is VERY pernickety about the Serial and MAC address..

If you get an error about connecting to the network - that's the reason..

Tell us more details? Was the real sn/Mac combination from a completely different nas? Or was it from a real 918, so same model...

3 minutes ago, NoFate said:

Tell us more details? Was the real sn/Mac combination from a completely different nas? Or was it from a real 918, so same model...

I had to find a SN/MAC combo from a real DS918+ and set mine to that in the grub.cfg..

I had tried to use a real one and change it slightly but it didn't work and I got the error about network connectivity.

3 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

I had to find a SN/MAC combo from a real DS918+ and set mine to that in the grub.cfg..

I had tried to use a real one and change it slightly but it didn't work and I got the error about network connectivity.

Ok, was quite sure that that was going to work, I wonder if the same truck also works on a 3615 

21 minutes ago, NoFate said:

Ok, was quite sure that that was going to work, I wonder if the same truck also works on a 3615  

Don't see why it would be any different..

No idea as to how long this is going to continue to work for though.. It's a legit key; but who knows what will happen after any Surveillance Station updates etc..

So far so good though.. Means I can retire the DS216j I had running my 3rd camera..

Well , bacause of the model off course, if you use a real 918 key on a virtual 918 system, no way that Synology is knowing that...

If you use a real 918 key on a virtual 3515... I think Synology knows it .... Because probably the model number is also in the sn/Mac combination

You can also try the following:

• Disconnect the xpenology from the internet
  • Apply the key
  • You get a warning that there is something wrong. Just click "ok"
  • Connect the xpenology again
  • The key should have been applied.

Note: This does not work on latest surveillance station package (8.2.1-5765)

Edited by marigo

I have never used quickconnect to get to my xpenology. I use a VPN to connect to home when on the road.

Personally I prefer to block all internet activity of my xpenology. Only when I need to upgrade some packages, Internet connectivity is allowed.

(or install manually)

Edited by marigo

5 minutes ago, NoFate said:

ok, gonna setup a new synology on my esxi setup with a custom model in the grub with real sn/mac combo

if that works, gonna buy a license :)

I have already tried this in the past. Did not work.

Used REAL combo SN/MAC but different model and it did not work.

Give it a shot on your end, maybe it will, but from my experience it did not.

ok, wanted to test also, i have a real ds1512+ , so changed SN+MAC in grub file

also changed this : syno_hw_version=DS1512+

now, on first boot to install DSM , it still recognizes the ds3615 ? what else do i need to change, to the system thinks its a ds1512 ?

On 11/5/2018 at 10:06 PM, NoFate said:

ok, wanted to test also, i have a real ds1512+ , so changed SN+MAC in grub file

also changed this : syno_hw_version=DS1512+

now, on first boot to install DSM , it still recognizes the ds3615 ? what else do i need to change, to the system thinks its a ds1512 ?

I dont think you can do it that way around; unless someone releases a loader for a DS1512.. You could then install the pat file for that model.

Why do you want to do that though?

License keys are now transferable between systems (thanks EU) as long as it's only on one system at a time...

8 hours ago, Hostilian said:

I dont think you can do it that way around; unless someone releases a loader for a DS1512.. You could then install the pat file for that model.

Why do you want to do that though?

License keys are now transferable between systems (thanks EU) as long as it's only on one system at a time...

well,

i have a real ds1512 , i use that sn/mac now, but i also want to change just the model name string, so when i connect the device to synlogy servers, synology will think its a real box

cause of the model/sn/mac combination, then i can use/buy live keys for SS

1 minute ago, NoFate said:

well,

i have a real ds1512 , i use that sn/mac now, but i also want to change just the model name string, so when i connect the device to synlogy servers, synology will think its a real box

cause of the model/sn/mac combination, then i can use/buy live keys for SS

I really don't think it'll work unless you get a DS1512 loader, but that's a backwards step, isn't it?

However, it might be worth a shot.. You can buy it anyway - as you can transfer the license to whatever you can get to work on your Xpenology (as long as it's only on 1 system at a time)..

......and if you can't get it to work, you can always sell it on (or return it)..  :)

• 6 months later...