DSM 6.2 Loader


Recommended Posts

You have to use synology assistant to install DSM into new system, during installation you have to setup admin account and password, after, you can access in console using admin login and admin password.
As far i remember there was a way to enter in console prior installation, but i don't know if still valid, to do so, you have to search a small bash script that calculate password based on current date, login name will be root and password will be calculated password, but, i don't know if stil valid 

.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 минуты назад, Aigor сказал:

You have to use synology assistant to install DSM into new system, during installation you have to setup admin account and password, after, you can access in console using admin login and admin password.

 

Its problem. I set password? but it now work

image.thumb.png.8597eae5572508c16761331f1d4f4503.png

 

13 минуты назад, Aigor сказал:

As far i remember there was a way to enter in console prior installation, but i don't know if still valid, to do so, you have to search a small bash script that calculate password based on current date, login name will be root and password will be calculated password, but, i don't know if stil valid 

 

This is the idea. Thank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 минут назад, Aigor сказал:

You have to use synology assistant to install DSM into new system, during installation you have to setup admin account and password, after, you can access in console using admin login and admin password.
As far i remember there was a way to enter in console prior installation, but i don't know if still valid, to do so, you have to search a small bash script that calculate password based on current date, login name will be root and password will be calculated password, but, i don't know if stil valid 

.
 

Eeeee

Its work https://wiki.mbirth.de/know-how/hacking/synology-telnet-password.html

image.thumb.png.5ccb3fa019f79f9e5668503249b227ac.png

 

admin/101-0101

 

Thanks to all!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, please help me! I install (DS3615xs 6.1 Gun's Mod V1. 02) from a flash drive, it comes to rebooting the system and that's all, it loses it! And only after overwriting the image on the USB, it sees it again as recoverable, but after restarting it again loses it. I can't install the OS!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello. I'm using Jun's 1.02b loader (DS3617xs), but strangely with every cold boot I'm first getting grub error - no such partition: and only after reset flash disk boots normally into system window.

I guess there is some setting I'm missing here, how can I fix it?.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chronos1121 said:

I guess there is some setting I'm missing here, how can I fix it?.

the obvious is a bios update and a reset to bios defaults, you could also try to add some time  waiting for disks

 

maybe make a new usb with a different flash drive

 

a more complicated mitigation could be

you create a new 4th grub entry the does a reboot and set the default to entry 1

in the 1st entry you add a command to set the default (next boot) to 4

if you boot that up with 1 the default would be set to 4 and when the system boots up next time it will boot with entry 4 doing a reset and boot entry 1 (that will again set the default to 4 for the next boot)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

a few months back i started to get grub errors on cold boot too, i ignored it and eventually it just failed to boot at all. no surprises really :)

i flashed a new usb drive and everything returned to normal

the usb stick had failed completely after iirc, 4 years. so it did well for some random no name cheap thumb drive

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

the obvious is a bios update and a reset to bios defaults, you could also try to add some time  waiting for disks

 

maybe make a new usb with a different flash drive

Thank you for the ideas. I'll try to proceed with "easier" solutions first and report back on results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

glad it worked out :)

take an image of the drive and keep a copy of the software to alter the PID and VID. zip it all up and dont store it on the box like i did :o

ahhhh, yep, i did do that ....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
В 14.03.2021 в 03:07, huxmut сказал:

take an image of the drive and keep a copy of the software

yeah, already did that from the beginning (was playing with several images while was learning first install procedures, and backed up the one working image once finally succeeded🙂).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Markvs said:

ata_piix.ko driver is needed from NM10 express chipset but is not included in the 1.03b loader ds3615xs?

oh the driver is present but jun's original extra.lzma (rc.modules) does not seem to load it

i kept the driver in my extended extra.lzma and added it to rc.modules

(the version i compiled from the synology kernel source did not work at all)

might work or not, if not the synologys kernel prevents it (as with the rest of the pata_..., sata_... drivers -> https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/, nothing changed in 6.2 in that regard)

 

her you can download the extended 1.03b extra.lzma

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

 

 

ahci ist the way to go, NM10 chipset does support ahci, usually labeled "extended" mode in bios  ("compatible" would be the old ide mode)

might be seen unter "Integrated Peripherals / Onboard SATA Function"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.

 

I don't know where to look for help with my issue, yesterday there was absolutely everything ok with my server, i don't remember what version of dsm was installed, but i guess one of the latest 6.23 maybe. Today it does'nt work at all, after reboot with the flash drive pc says it's booting but synology assistant finds nothing, ssh is also not possible to access. I've tried to download new loader so 1.04b in this case, becouse old usb was created approx 3 years ago. On the new usb, after VID/PID, mac ans SN edit, it detects the NAS, says it's recoverable, but goes only to ca. 25-30% and asks for reboot (doesn't do this on it's own). After reboot it's not showing in Assistant anymore.

 

I don't want to lose the data that are on the hdd's. 

 

It's an ASRock J3455-itx, with 8gb ram. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hum, i suppose you had automatic update of DSM turned on, so, your system attempted update to new DSM that is knows bad for xpenology.
You have two option.
Try new installation with 6.2.3 and appropriate loader , new installation do not delete data on the disks, only Os partition 
Use a linux machine to read data from disk and try to copy to new space, if works, setup new NAS and copy back data 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GLiNiAK said:

I don't know where to look for help with my issue, yesterday there was absolutely everything ok with my server, i don't remember what version of dsm was installed, but i guess one of the latest 6.23 maybe. Today it does'nt work at all, after reboot with the flash drive pc says it's booting but synology assistant finds nothing, ssh is also not possible to access. I've tried to download new loader so 1.04b in this case, becouse old usb was created approx 3 years ago. On the new usb, after VID/PID, mac ans SN edit, it detects the NAS, says it's recoverable, but goes only to ca. 25-30% and asks for reboot (doesn't do this on it's own). After reboot it's not showing in Assistant anymore.

maybe you updated to 6.2.4?

you can try this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42765-how-to-undo-a-unfinished-update-623-to-624-no-boot-after-1st-step-of-update/?do=getNewComment

 

but before trying to delete anything you should check if the files are present, if there are no update files then its something else and you should

check /etc.defaults/VERSION file for the dsm version installed

 

4 hours ago, GLiNiAK said:

I don't want to lose the data that are on the hdd's. 

your data are on different partitions on the disks and dsm does not touch them on system udpates

you can use the same method with the rescue linux to access your data without dsm

in most cases its also possible to have a additional disk (or usb) with open media vault and boot this, it should detect the raid of the dsm data volume and show it

the link above also mentions a method where you use a new dsm installation on a separate disk to overwrite the dsm (system partition) on the original drives (still no touching of the data volume, repair of system only messes with the 1st partitions on all disks)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

It's been a few years since I set up my HP Proliant as a DSM. For a long time I have been thinking about upgrading the system to 6.2.x. However, I am simply overwhelmed whether this is possible with my system and which steps are necessary. There is an incredible amount of information here in the forum - some of which may not be up to date.
My request / question: Can someone tell me whether and, if so, which steps I have to take to update my system to a more recent DSM version. It doesn't have to be a detailed tutorial. With a little help for self-help, I should probably be able to do that.
Thank you very much for some start-up help ....

Frank

 

HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9

Modellname DS3617xs

Prozessor: INTEL Xeon D-1527

Prozessor-Taktrate

3.3 GHz

RAM 8192 MB

NIC: Intel-Ethernet I219-LM

DSM-Version: DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IG-88 said:

maybe you updated to 6.2.4?

you can try this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42765-how-to-undo-a-unfinished-update-623-to-624-no-boot-after-1st-step-of-update/?do=getNewComment

 

but before trying to delete anything you should check if the files are present, if there are no update files then its something else and you should

check /etc.defaults/VERSION file for the dsm version installed

 

your data are on different partitions on the disks and dsm does not touch them on system udpates

you can use the same method with the rescue linux to access your data without dsm

in most cases its also possible to have a additional disk (or usb) with open media vault and boot this, it should detect the raid of the dsm data volume and show it

the link above also mentions a method where you use a new dsm installation on a separate disk to overwrite the dsm (system partition) on the original drives (still no touching of the data volume, repair of system only messes with the 1st partitions on all disks)

 

16 hours ago, IG-88 said:

 

 

 

Done. Partially with the tutorial from the link You've sent. 

 

I've made it from ubuntu, but wasn't able to change the VERSION from etc.defaults, so i've delete it, and also the VERSION from etc.

 

Online installer tried to install 6.24, i had to manually install 6.23 and after some time (10-15 minutes or more after reboot) server showed himself on Synology Assistant. From that point it take some more time to become fully accessible, but now works like a charm again.

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GLiNiAK said:

I've made it from ubuntu, but wasn't able to change the VERSION from etc.defaults, so i've delete it, and also the VERSION from etc.

 

Online installer tried to install 6.24,

thanks added both to the howto

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, F.K. said:

HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9

Prozessor: INTEL Xeon D-1527

as 6.2 is a new major version you need a new loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

in theory you could use 918+ (loader 1.04b) but the only gain would be the option to use nvme cache drives (after additional patching), it has a newer kernel but is most cases thats not important, downside of 918+ is problems with lsi sas controller (and scsi/sas controller in general)

its best to stick with 3617 (especially when using lsi sas controllers) and use loader 1.03b (that needs csm mode in uefi bios and booting from the non-uefi usb device)

you can "migrate" to a different dsm type any time by changing the loader and installing the other dsm type of the same version

 

loader preparation and install process is still the same as for 6.1 but you use  loader 1.03b/1.04b and install dsm 6.2.3 (not 6.2.4)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

 

safe way is to use a new usb and a single empty disk, disconnecting "old" 6.1 usb and disks and try to successfull install 6.2.3 with the new usb (you can use the same sn and mac as you did with 6.1 but you have to match usb vid/pid in grub.cfg to the new usb you are using)

if you get this working you put away the single disk and use the usb with you "old" disks, boot the new 1.03b usb and "migrate" (keep settings and data) to the new 6.2 dsm version

that way you know the new loader works before you start the udpate

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

as 6.2 is a new major version you need a new loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

in theory you could use 918+ (loader 1.04b) but the only gain would be the option to use nvme cache drives (after additional patching), it has a newer kernel but is most cases thats not important, downside of 918+ is problems with lsi sas controller (and scsi/sas controller in general)

its best to stick with 3617 (especially when using lsi sas controllers) and use loader 1.03b (that needs csm mode in uefi bios and booting from the non-uefi usb device)

you can "migrate" to a different dsm type any time by changing the loader and installing the other dsm type of the same version

 

loader preparation and install process is still the same as for 6.1 but you use  loader 1.03b/1.04b and install dsm 6.2.3 (not 6.2.4)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

 

safe way is to use a new usb and a single empty disk, disconnecting "old" 6.1 usb and disks and try to successfull install 6.2.3 with the new usb (you can use the same sn and mac as you did with 6.1 but you have to match usb vid/pid in grub.cfg to the new usb you are using)

if you get this working you put away the single disk and use the usb with you "old" disks, boot the new 1.03b usb and "migrate" (keep settings and data) to the new 6.2 dsm version

that way you know the new loader works before you start the udpate

 

Thank you Guru Master, that was exactly the help I was hoping for, so that I could approach the upgrade with a little more confidence.
One more question: I often read that only certain Intel NICs are supported with DSM 6.2x. Is that (still) the case? Or can I use my integrated Intel I219-LM with 1.03b / 1.04b without any problems?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.