XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

forget about SN and mac, for installing the usb vid/pid needs to match to the values of the usb flash drive you are using

Got vid and pid from syslog; idVendor= and idProduct= when inserted into Linux machine for editing, so that should match.

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

re check and also make sure there are no partitions on the disk you use to install

Double checked vid and pid (was correct), cleared the disk from all partitions and tried again (6.2.3, 25426). Same error (21) at about 40% of the installation process. Only one disk in the NAS at this attempt.

More tests

Also tried another USB stick and changed vid and pid accordingly, clearing off all partitions from the disk between retries, and I have also tried from another computer.

Edited by peoy
added more info (more tests)

8 hours ago, peoy said:

Double checked vid and pid (was correct), cleared the disk from all partitions and tried again (6.2.3, 25426). Same error (21) at about 40% of the installation process. Only one disk in the NAS at this attempt.

try the following things

1. use sysnology assistent (program) fo find and install and don asign a static ip address in the install process, just let it go with dhcp

2. try to use loader 1.02b to install dsm 6.1, we can try to update after this to 6.2

3. use another computer for installing to the disk and then transfer usb and disk to the system you want to use

16 hours ago, peoy said:

I'm new to the forum and to installing Xpenology and am not albe to get it installed on my Buffalo TS4400D. 

When installing from the Synology Assistant, I get the error code 21 (after a varying amount of percentages' completeness), installing from the web UI, I get a message saying that the installation source (downloaded from Synology or what I supply manually) is corrrupt.

I am using the 1.04 loader and have tried with all the recent DS918+ .pat files from Synology (6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2,  6.2.3) with the ssme resulting error code.

after looking up the hardware in that unit (Atom D2550, Cedarview fom q1/2012) my 1st guess would have been that might not run with loader 1.04b 918+ as it needs 4th gen intel cpu as minimum, but if it boots and you find it in network then its working

the unit comes with a serial port on its back, if you have a null model cable you could use a serial console (putty) on another computer to monitor the boot process, maybe you could see more that way about whats causing the problem

Edited by IG-88

4 hours ago, IG-88 said:

try the following things

1. use sysnology assistent (program) fo find and install and don asign a static ip address in the install process, just let it go with dhcp

2. try to use loader 1.02b to install dsm 6.1, we can try to update after this to 6.2

3. use another computer for installing to the disk and then transfer usb and disk to the system you want to use

1. did that every time except maybe once or twice

2. skipped this attempt

3. jumped directly to this method, and it worked, except that is said error-something-timeout after the reboot and 10 minute wait, but I was able to connect to the web ui to finalize the settings and get it running. No problem moving the disk and USB-stick to the TS4400D after that.

4 hours ago, IG-88 said:

after looking up the hardware in that unit (Atom D2550, Cedarview fom q1/2012) my 1st guess would have been that might not run with loader 1.04b 918+ as it needs 4th gen intel cpu as minimum, but if it boots and you find it in network then its working

the unit comes with a serial port on its back, if you have a null model cable you could use a serial console (putty) on another computer to monitor the boot process, maybe you could see more that way about whats causing the problem

Also my first thought that the hardware was just a bit too old, but it boots up with the USB-stick and now runs DSM from the installation I made on my Dell 7040.

Is the USB-stick supposed to be needed after installation ? The bootloader and VID/PID configuration is there, but is that transferred over to the system volume when installed ?

Added: update to 6.2.3 "update 3" failed (on the Buffalo, it might work if I move the disk to the computer)

dsm-update-fail.png

Edited by peoy

2 minutes ago, peoy said:

Is the USB-stick supposed to be needed after installation ?

yes its used for every boot, its the same as the internal usb dom in original synology systems

3 minutes ago, peoy said:

The bootloader and VID/PID configuration is there, but is that transferred over to the system volume when installed ?

the data raid volume is independent from sytsem and swap that is on every disk, its not bound to the installation (at least nor to the base system, the packages you install need a volume and will stored there, including configuration of the packages)

the vid/pid is just a circumvented security measure, a original usb dom has f400:f400 and is checked at least on installing

SN or mac can be changed in grub.cfg after install, you could also copy that to a new usb as and use it as long as you match the usb vid/pid to the new usb's values

the loader and installation of the system are more or less independent, one thing that can go wrong is when having the same mac on more then one system in network

4 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

SN or mac can be changed in grub.cfg after install, you could also copy that to a new usb as and use it as long as you match the usb vid/pid to the new usb's values

I used my Buffalo NASs mac addresses when preparing the installation on the pc. Did not (more or less) edit the grub.cfg as suggested, but did another trick that might be better to further releases..

On the stick (the first partition, mounted on the Linux machine), I created "dev.cfg" inside the "grub" folder, then removed the VID, PID, SN and MAC from the grub.cfg to replace with

source /grub/dev.cfg

This is probably more a grub question; could a file included on the PC-readable partition of the stick be included in the grub.cfg, or could these variables be set later on before the USB-boot starts up DSM ?

4 minutes ago, peoy said:

This is probably more a grub question; could a file included on the PC-readable partition of the stick be included in the grub.cfg, or could these variables be set later on before the USB-boot starts up DSM ?

there is no maintainer of the loader, its always the original as it came from jun as base, i tinker with the extra.lzma but for legal reasons i don't offer loaders

VMXNET3 working only with  CPU IOMMU disabled (VMware CPU option)

Hello all,

For everyone that is interested in using 10GB VMXNET3 network adapter - must be in addition to an Intel E1000E because you will not be able to install/update

For example, my setup consists of one E1000E - used for normal access of Synology services and 2 VMXNET3 NIC's used for iSCSI/NFS access to my ESXi hosts. I have a 2 port 10GB physical NIC on the ESXi. 

You can use perfectly fine VMXNET3, even with DirectPath I/O checked, as long as you DON'T enable CPU IOMMU - this took a while to figure out and I hope this will help someone in a similar scenario

Please post this information where is best suited.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 6:46 AM, boghea said:

VMXNET3 working only with  CPU IOMMU disabled (VMware CPU option)

Hello all,

For everyone that is interested in using 10GB VMXNET3 network adapter - must be in addition to an Intel E1000E because you will not be able to install/update

For example, my setup consists of one E1000E - used for normal access of Synology services and 2 VMXNET3 NIC's used for iSCSI/NFS access to my ESXi hosts. I have a 2 port 10GB physical NIC on the ESXi. 

You can use perfectly fine VMXNET3, even with DirectPath I/O checked, as long as you DON'T enable CPU IOMMU - this took a while to figure out and I hope this will help someone in a similar scenario

Please post this information where is best suited.

many thanks, this fixed it for me.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, boghea said:

is that on by default?

afair IOMMU would only be in effect when using passthrough devices or maybe SR-IOV, there would be no need for this for virtual devices in a vm

On 1/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, boghea said:

there are no options in the kernel settings when compiling the driver

image.png.e2d850c1f448fa9335c2fa29bbff4990.png

so nothing that could be done beside documenting it in the tutorial?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13061-tutorial-install-dsm-62-on-esxi-67/

( @luchuma)

Hello Gents,

I'm running DS3615 6.1.7 on a M72E Thinkcentre with an i5 CPU using the 1.02 bootloader which is running perfectly fine. I wantr to upgrade to 6.2.3 but the bootloader 1.03 hangs / doesn't work.

In the tutorial of this forum I noticed a slight difference in the boot methods between 1.02 and 1.03. UEFI is not supported in 1.03. Could this be the problem or is there something else which might be the culprit?

thanx in advance for any reply...

regards

Willem

Knipsel.PNG

7 hours ago, wkloppen said:

In the tutorial of this forum I noticed a slight difference in the boot methods between 1.02 and 1.03. UEFI is not supported in 1.03. Could this be the problem or is there something else which might be the culprit?

It's a big difference. You need to confirm that your thinkcentre is booting in CSM/legacy mode to run 1.03b.

In the BIOS (or maybe UEFI) screens when you power on and before the OS loads. You might need  to press the delete key or F1 or F2 (depending on machine) to bring the screens up. What you want to do is make sure that it boots in legacy / BIOS / CSM mode. (It depends on the machine as to what it is called).

Edited by billat29

On 1/13/2021 at 4:36 PM, billat29 said:

It's a big difference. You need to confirm that your thinkcentre is booting in CSM/legacy mode to run 1.03b.

I confirm, on my Thinkcenter M91 I had to change from AUTO to explicit Legacy, as I also tinkering for an update from 6.1 to 6.2. After that one change Synology Assistent shows my Xpenolgy as "migrateable" - looked for 2 days for a solution, finally got the right keyword to find this post :)

On 10/26/2018 at 10:51 AM, e-ghost said:

I have an ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe (AMD APU) what was running DSM 6.1.7 well by Jun's Loader v1.02b.

I want to try the v1.04b as I saw many people got it works with Realtek NIC.

However, the RLT8111E cannot get any IP from DHCP so I cannot connect to it to proceed the fresh installation.

bash-4.3# lspci | grep 10ec
0000:04:00.0 Class 0200: Device 10ec:8168 (rev 06)

bash-4.3# lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'

Kernel driver in use: r8168

As other fellow can get their Realtek NIC working so I suppose v1.04b loader also has r8168 included? Any tweak I can get it working?

Thanks a lot.

Hi, i got the same board. After a update of the bios, the newest DSM works flawless ! Even on the built in network card. New BIOS can be downloaded from Asus, and installed from a USB stick. 

• 3 weeks later...
23 минуты назад, Aigor сказал:

How you are able to get console? 

Admin account and admin password entered during First setup.

Sorry.
I ran the loader in a virtual environment in ProxMox.
I have no installed system. 

I added a terminal [code]serial0: socket[/code] and read output in console.

//--

I have a problem, the loader starts but I get an error in the web interface «Connection failed. Please check your network settings.»

Sorry text in Russian >> 

I tried admin/admin admin/blank root/root root/blank too.
But nothing fits and I want to go in and see the logs of the loader.

Thanks everyone!