DSM 6.2 Loader


Recommended Posts

imho you will not be able to even boot the 918+ image with a 2nd gen intel cpu

i did some documentation on that

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

see the area "  CPU list for DS918+ Image - 4th gen Intel Core aka Haswell seems to be minimum requirement" in 1st post

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, merve04 said:

So is this a DSM limitation of not being able to use quick sync instructions from cpu, unless it being 4th gen or newer?

 

The kernel is compiled with instructions that are only available in Haswell or later.

 

There is a lot of variation in the capability of "Quicksync" processors across processor families.  For example, current CPU's can directly decode H.265 and HDR and older ones cannot.  Even if you could get an old processor to boot, you would still need Quicksync function compatibility with the transcoding software on Video Station or Plex.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok understood. I do have a haswell cpu and mobo as my main desktop, although I did find a i5 4670, asus z87 pro and 8gb of ram for $190. Seems like a steal but haswell quicksync is limited compared to say 7th gen and up. 
now that being said I have a legit 918+ SN and mac, (ps I have 2 other sets if your willing to trial and error couple digits, pic is a little fuzzy) do I need to simply put legit Mac in grub or do I need to do something to the actual onboard nic MAC address?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a simple question, I couldn't see to be discussed anywhere:

Should I use the same serial number or create a new one in case of upgrading?

 

I plan to upgrade from DSM 5.2-5565U2 to the most recent 6.2.2-24922.

System type will remain the same: DS3615xs

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a question.my ipfs-j1900 uses your Loader 1.04b and install DSM 6.2.1-23834-up6 successfully.

But there is some problem with its WOL.

After it shutdowned,and boot again,it seems couldn't load nic successfully.

The motherboard nic is intel i211-at.

I hope you can help me, thank you.

@jun

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, kazuni said:

Are the newer 1.03b and 1.04b loaders limited in terms of number of cores? I have different configurations (baremetal/hypervisors) that has >8 Cores but they will still show as 8.

As far as I know during kernel compilation there's a parameter to set maximum number of cores, I tried a couple of times (not so much tbh) and I was not able even to boot so I left that aside.

 

Would be great to increase it to, for example, 16 since it is a number more easily achieved nowadays, I still have there a threadripper 1950x collecting dust... That would be great to use for VMs in xpenology.

 

I know that there are better solutions as unraid or esxi... But I don't have so much time to spend configuring... I feel so happy with that easy approach (since now I am far from home and I can not put my hands on new projects).

 

Please note I enjoy so much xpenology and I would like to thank you all collaborators, is still my 24/7 server.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand there is no guarantee with future support and that who knows if Jun will even do a DSM 7 bootloader, however if I am buying some more used hardware right now for ESXi hosts what is the best CPU to get to have the best chance at continued compatibility? E5-xxxx v3 CPUs which are Haswell I think are needed to run 918 loader right? Are these going to be enough for DSM 7 too or I'll need v4 or higher CPUs?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silver251 said:

 

As far as I know during kernel compilation there's a parameter to set maximum number of cores, I tried a couple of times (not so much tbh) and I was not able even to boot so I left that aside.

 

Would be great to increase it to, for example, 16 since it is a number more easily achieved nowadays, I still have there a threadripper 1950x collecting dust... That would be great to use for VMs in xpenology.

 

I know that there are better solutions as unraid or esxi... But I don't have so much time to spend configuring... I feel so happy with that easy approach (since now I am far from home and I can not put my hands on new projects).

 

Please note I enjoy so much xpenology and I would like to thank you all collaborators, is still my 24/7 server.

 Same here.  I had been a loyal xpenology user since Jun's contribution on DS3615/17xs' first DSM 6.x loader, and they worked beautifully in many different hardware I've had hands on, J1900, J3455, N3x00/4X00, i5/7 4xxxes, QNAP NAS, ESXi, Nehalem/Haswell servers (PowerEdge Rx10/20s, IBM x3650-M3s), Ryzen 1700x, even on my current 9900k, they all run really well.  I am also very grateful for his contributions.  Currently I have it running on my R510 with 12x8 TB SATA + 2x1TB Micron SSDs as raid1 cache, an intel x520-DA1 and it performs very well.

 

I would also love to have it running on more than 8 cores as it would be a good kvm/qemu hypervisor as well, but for now, the R510 is running on 8 cores (the L5640 has 6c12t, so 4 vcores are sort of wasted)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys... I'm think I tried almost anything and everything and I still can't update or fresh install using 1.04b

 

I have Acer Revo One RL85. i3-430 CPU, LAN is Realtek 8111/8168 PCIE

Everything worked for over a year using 1.02b with 6.1. 3615sx

 

1.04b

The USB boots, shows up in Syno assistant .. when installing PAT (DSM_DS918+_23739.pat) it interrupts the install at about 60% with:

Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupt. (13).

 

I tried extra lzma, different downloads...nothing...

 

1.03b

No matter what I do (extra lzma, uefi boot, mbr legacy boot) I can't get the device to show in Assistant to even attempt the installation.

It hangs when booting and the hdd activity copies the LAN activity LED. Nothing happens after.

 

1.02

I update the VID, PID, MAC & SN (as I do when trying the above), install 3615sx without a hitch, rock solid.

 

I have no idea why 1.04b loads network drivers just fine but 1.03b never does...

 

Sorry if this is a stupid post, I have no serial port on the Acer so can't really post a log. I have no idea what to try next...

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers

Edited by CheapSk8
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 10:43 AM, CheapSk8 said:

Hi guys... I'm think I tried almost anything and everything and I still can't update or fresh install using 1.04b

 

I have Acer Revo One RL85. i3-430 CPU, LAN is Realtek 8111/8168 PCIE

Everything worked for over a year using 1.02b with 6.1. 3615sx

 

1.04b

The USB boots, shows up in Syno assistant .. when installing PAT (DSM_DS918+_23739.pat) it interrupts the install at about 60% with:

Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupt. (13).

 

I tried extra lzma, different downloads...nothing...

 

1.03b

No matter what I do (extra lzma, uefi boot, mbr legacy boot) I can't get the device to show in Assistant to even attempt the installation.

It hangs when booting and the hdd activity copies the LAN activity LED. Nothing happens after.

 

1.02

I update the VID, PID, MAC & SN (as I do when trying the above), install 3615sx without a hitch, rock solid.

 

I have no idea why 1.04b loads network drivers just fine but 1.03b never does...

 

Sorry if this is a stupid post, I have no serial port on the Acer so can't really post a log. I have no idea what to try next...

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers

 

I don't think 1.04b supports your cpu (must be Haswell or later).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 9:43 PM, CheapSk8 said:

Hi guys... I'm think I tried almost anything and everything and I still can't update or fresh install using 1.04b

 

I have Acer Revo One RL85. i3-430 CPU, LAN is Realtek 8111/8168 PCIE

Everything worked for over a year using 1.02b with 6.1. 3615sx

 

1.04b

The USB boots, shows up in Syno assistant .. when installing PAT (DSM_DS918+_23739.pat) it interrupts the install at about 60% with:

Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupt. (13).

 

I tried extra lzma, different downloads...nothing...

 

1.03b

No matter what I do (extra lzma, uefi boot, mbr legacy boot) I can't get the device to show in Assistant to even attempt the installation.

It hangs when booting and the hdd activity copies the LAN activity LED. Nothing happens after.

 

1.02

I update the VID, PID, MAC & SN (as I do when trying the above), install 3615sx without a hitch, rock solid.

 

I have no idea why 1.04b loads network drivers just fine but 1.03b never does...

 

Sorry if this is a stupid post, I have no serial port on the Acer so can't really post a log. I have no idea what to try next...

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers

Use 1.03b (DS3615xs) with 6.2.2 update 3 BUT add an external Intel based NIC (HP NC360t is a good cheap one).  Realtek isn't supported anymore so even though it's updating you won't be able to see it on the network.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 4:43 AM, CheapSk8 said:

1.04b

The USB boots, shows up in Syno assistant .. when installing PAT (DSM_DS918+_23739.pat) it interrupts the install at about 60% with:

Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupt. (13).

 

cpu is i4-4005u from what i've seen, thats ok for 918+ and the fact that you see it in network after booting from usb says clearly "it's working"

you could try "DSM_DS918+_23739" (aka 6.2."0"), older one but tested to work with my extra.lzma from last year (if that does not work check usb vid/pid in your grub.conf and make sure your destination disk is empty aka no partitions)

after confirmed to install correct you can try updating to 6.2.2, depending on the hardware you will loose network connection or even storage because all additional drivers from my old extra.lzma will fail to load with 6.2.2

BUT you can take your usb to another system and overwrite your old extra.lzma with the one olegin created, when booting the newer extra.lzma drivers should be used and the system should be up again

atm i'm testing a new nas hardware and that was my first try when looking around and it worked, it found the onboard realtek and two different intel nic's (e1000e and igb, btw. the DS918+ default is max. 2 nic's in synoinfo.conf, jun's patch only extends the max. drive count but does not lift that nic's value to the "normal" 4 known from 3615/3517), also the good old mpt sas card showed up again with olegins extra.lzma

 

 

 

Edited by IG-88
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kazuni said:

 

I don't think 1.04b supports your cpu (must be Haswell or later).

My Revo has Celeron CPU 2957U - Intel website has it as "Formerly Haswell architecture" and spec sheets I found has it as "based on Haswell".

I think the problem with 1.04b is more about the target disk or pat file or maybe grub.cfg or lzma hdd controller driver or such.

I still have a few things to try based on the replies of kind folks in this thread(such as yourself). Thanks mate, I'll report back...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, baratta930 said:

Use 1.03b (DS3615xs) with 6.2.2 update 3 BUT add an external Intel based NIC (HP NC360t is a good cheap one).  Realtek isn't supported anymore so even though it's updating you won't be able to see it on the network.

I would love to...but Acer Revo One RL85 is such as THIS

 

It is a perfect little machine to have running at work for offsite backups of my home NAS. It has on board Realtek that shows as PCIe but can't be taken out and there is just no way of replacing it. USB LAN would not work for sure...so I am stuck. I just don't understand how come it shows up on LAN reliably with 1.04b, even let's me start the install. And until it errors out it is swift and works like you would expect...

Not giving up...will try what IG-88 recommends next... Thanks for your reply though. If this was a regular PC I would definitely agree that this would be the best possible fix or at least a good place to start.Cheers mate

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Black6spdZ said:

I'll add ds918+ loader needs haswell or greater WITH integrated graphics.

 

Integrated graphics is not required.  Any Haswell or later (AFAIK it's support of the FMA3 instructions) is ok.

 

@CheapSk8, I think your system should run 1.04b and DS918 DSM fine, keep at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flyride said:

 

Integrated graphics is not required.  Any Haswell or later (AFAIK it's support of the FMA3 instructions) is ok.

 

@CheapSk8, I think your system should run 1.04b and DS918 DSM fine, keep at it.

 

Prior attempt to run DS918+ failed on my old e3-1220 v3. Upgraded to an e3-1265L v3 and no problems. Only difference I could find is the 1220 is missing iGPU. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, flyride said:

There are many examples of non-iGPU equipped CPU's in the DSM updates reporting threads.  My own 1.04b test environment is ESXi with no iGPU.

my nas is baremetal.. like I mentioned nothing else was changed but the cpu then 1.04b bootloader with ds918+ dsm worked

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.