DSM 6.2 Loader


Recommended Posts

Thanks @Jun for your great Update!

 

It works on my testing VM and updated successfully with 6.2 update 2.

 

Environment: Virtualbox 5.2.16, 2 vCPU, 4GB RAM, 2 e1000 NICs, all SATA devices (loader, DOM, data).

 

VM Cloned from 6.1.7 update 2 working VM (loader 1.02b), replaced with loader 1.03b and update grub.cfg (SN, MAC1, MAC2).

After boot up, click install and then choose 'upgrade and keep data' with official 6.2 pat file. Reboot take a bit time as per upgrading software.

Further update to 6.2 update 2 and reboot. It seems working fine.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

- Outcome of the installation/update: SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2-23739 UPDATE 1

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3617

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - HP Microserver GEN 8 - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220L V2 @ 2.30GHz 

- Additional comments: Blank install than updated

 

Very much appreciated @jun

Edited by arejaytee
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

- Outcome of the installation/update: SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2-23739 UPDATE 2

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615xs

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - HP Microserver GEN 8 - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zenfire said:

What trick with assigning MAC address in grub do you mean?

 

You should edit grub.cfg with the MAC address you're using in the network adapter on the VM.  See 

 (basically just mount synoboot.img with OSFMount and find/edit there)

 

The other option with ESXi is to edit your Virtual Switch in networking, enable Security->MAC address changes.  DSM will use the MAC address in grub.cfg for its network card, and not the one set in your VM config.  By default with ESXi this security setting is on, which will prevent it from getting on the network if there's a mismatch.  If you're going to use multiple XPEnology installs you'll need to change the MAC address anyway, so might as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CrazyCreator said:

 

Is there a specific reason why you switched from DS3615 to 6.2 DS3617?
I'm currently on the DS3615 and I'm a bit worried about my data when I switch to the DS3617.

 

 

Main reason is that the DS3617 is more feature rich like NFS 4.1 Multipath

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent some time experimenting tonight, and I still can't get my disks starting at 1 with the 6.2 loader, either 3615 or 3617, with an LSI passed through in an ESXi 6.5u2 VM.

 

I noticed SasIdxMap=0 from grub.cfg doesn't actually come through on /proc/cmdline, which seems like it's trying to start enumeration at 0 for an SAS controller:

sh-4.3# cat /proc/cmdline
syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3617xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi quiet root=/dev/md0 sn=XXXXXXXXXXXXX mac1=XXXXXXXXXXXX netif_num=1 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1

But, it doesn't come through on my 6.1.x VM with the same card either, and that correctly enumerates disks starting with /dev/sda.  Not sure what else to try.  I increased internalportcfg for now, but that's just a landmine on the next big update (I guess it's possible to include that in the jun.patch in extra.lzma though).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm new to both XPenology and DSM.  Just got Dell R720XD with dual 6 core CPU's (total of 12 cores, 24 threads) and I'm using Jun's 6.2 bootloader.  Everything seems to be working fine, but I just noticed that in Info Center it is only reporting 4 cores.  I'm assuming this is because the 3617 image is limited to 4 cores?  Install is bare metal.
Update: Just installed Virtual Machine Manager and it says the host has 6 cores and 16 thread (???) and 32 available vCPU's.  That's not confusing at all.

So now I'm kind of thinking that Info Center isn't actually looking at what is in the machine, but reporting a static string for what a 3617 should have?

Any thoughts?

Edited by sarge
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2018 at 1:00 PM, jun said:

I've uploaded a beta version of 3615/3617 loader to mega, please test and give your feedback.

 

Hi, with Proxmox 5.2-6 it is not working.

After the screen message "Screen will stop updating shortly,..." , I have the error "mount failed" in the serial console and nothing happens.

Edited by dodo-dk
Link to post
Share on other sites

- Outcome of the installation/update: SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2-23739 UPDATE 1

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO 

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - ASRock QC5000M-ITX/PH (amd)

- Legacy bios

- upgrade 6.1 to 6.2

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like create a new VM to test 6.2 with 1.03b, but I can found any vmdk for 6.1.

If I use the vmdk from 1.01, it will stop at boot, and cannot be detected in find.synology.com.

I have already set the boot option to BIOS, but still cannot boot.

 

Does it mean that the synoboot.img only work for 6.2?

So, I have to install 6.1, and then upgrade to 6.2, and replace the synoboot.img after upgrade?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super169 said:

I'd like create a new VM to test 6.2 with 1.03b, but I can found any vmdk for 6.1.

If I use the vmdk from 1.01, it will stop at boot, and cannot be detected in find.synology.com.

I have already set the boot option to BIOS, but still cannot boot.

 

Does it mean that the synoboot.img only work for 6.2?

So, I have to install 6.1, and then upgrade to 6.2, and replace the synoboot.img after upgrade?

 

The vmdk just loads the img file. It runs in a VM for me in bios mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for you Greatest work.

 

I tried to run 1.03b on VMware ESXi 6.7 with LSI 9300-8i(Host bus adapter, SAS3008, paththrough device).
Synology DSM 6.1.x with loader 1.02b (with custom extra.lzma produced by IG-88) can find LSI 9300-8i and connected SSDs, everything is OK.

But DSM web installer cannot find any devices at loader 1.03b.

I'm waiting for driver that support SAS3008.

 

Thank you.

Edited by staratlas
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, staratlas said:

Thank you very much for you Greatest work.

 

I tried to run 1.03b on VMware ESXi 6.7 with LSI 9300-8i(Host bus adapter, SAS3008, paththrough device).
Synology DSM 6.1.x with loader 1.02b (with custom extra.lzma produced by IG-88) can find LSI 9300-8i and connected SSDs, everything is OK.

But DSM web installer cannot find any devices at loader 1.03b.

I'm waiting for driver that support SAS3008.

 

Thank you.

 

I'm sorry for my wrong infromation. I think 1.03b work fine on VMware ESXi 6.7 with LSI 9300-8i(Host bus adapter, SAS3008, paththrough device).

 

- Outcome of the installation/update: SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2-23739 UPDATE 2

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3617xs

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: Virtual Machine, vm version is 14, VMware ESXi 6.7, All storage device is connected to LSI 9300-8i(Host bus adapter, SAS3008, paththrough device).

- Additional comments: Update from 6.1.7 to 6.2

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sarge said:

I'm new to both XPenology and DSM.  Just got Dell R720XD with dual 6 core CPU's (total of 12 cores, 24 threads) and I'm using Jun's 6.2 bootloader.  Everything seems to be working fine, but I just noticed that in Info Center it is only reporting 4 cores.  I'm assuming this is because the 3617 image is limited to 4 cores?  Install is bare metal.
Update: Just installed Virtual Machine Manager and it says the host has 6 cores and 16 thread (???) and 32 available vCPU's.  That's not confusing at all.

So now I'm kind of thinking that Info Center isn't actually looking at what is in the machine, but reporting a static string for what a 3617 should have?

Any thoughts?

Info Center reports what it expects on the intended hardware for the image and is not correlated to the actual CPU in the system.  That said I don't think you can use more than 8 cores in DSM, if you have HT and more than 4 cores, disable hyperthreading.

Edited by flyride
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.