XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

1 hour ago, Hostilian said:

I've been mucking around on VMWare Workstation, trying to see if I could make any headway with either a 6.2 > 6.21 upgrade or just a fresh 6.2.1 upgrade.

No joy so far..

Question. Should DSM upgrades also modify the bootloader disk (or usb drive for bare metal installs)?

I assume so, because it breaks it..

If I upgrade the VM, it no longer gets an IP address. If I install fresh 6.2.1 it's also not on the network.

I then made the boot drive non-persistent (so changes are not retained), did the upgrade (after a reboot, I get no IP address as usual). If I power off and back on again to revert the changes to the boot drive, I get an IP address again - but the previous upgrade isn't recognised and I need to reinstall DSM..

2 hours ago, luchuma said:

@Hostilian

change vm nic to e1000e

vm disk loader sata 0:0

vm dsm disks sata 1:0, 1:1 etc...

6.2.1 is working on my ESXi 6.7

Synology changed something in 6.2.1 and lots of drivers stopped working with 1.03b loader

I'm using Workstation to test - not esxi.. So can't choose the NIC type.

I'll maybe try it in ESXi later this week, if I get a chance..

Thanks both for the info!

Thanks Jun

Working Build Upgrade from 6.1: 

HPE ML350 G6  Baremetal ( E5620 x2, 32G RAM ,144TB Raw, 1.5TB SSD Cache) booting from internal SD slot

with  X540-T2 & LSI 9260cv-8e & LSI 9200-16e & Renasas USB3 & Dell H310 IT Mode, BCM5715, Intel I210

ALL Working OOB, no extra lzma

synology sorting.PNG

Edited by sunfishdied
I forgot my thanks

hi guys,

I've seen a warning message couple of days ago regarding NO upgrades to 6.2.1 with jun's loader then now I can't see the warning anymore and I can actually see that some people did upgrade to 6.2.1 no issues. So I have looked in the loaders of jun on Mega.co.nz website to see if new loaders were released but last updated date of the 3615&3617 files were same August 1st

So, shall I update or I'm missing something ?

Bonjour,

suite migration vers dsm 6.2 je n’ai plus accès à mon nas.

dans syno  assistant, le nas est present par contre il n’est pas installé. Quand j’essaye D’installer erreur 38.

j’ai refait une cle 6.1. Le nas est trouvé par contre etat récupérable ! Quand j’essaye de le reparer il reboot.

avez vous des idées pour sortir du pb ?

slts

Hello,

Following migration to 6.2 dsm I no longer have access to my nas.
in syno assistant, the nas is present however it is not installed. When I try to install error 38.

I redid a key 6.1. The nas is found by cons reclaimable state! When I try to fix it he reboots.

Do you have any ideas for getting out of the pb?

Edited by waddle00

12 hours ago, lolo130 said:

hi guys,

I've seen a warning message couple of days ago regarding NO upgrades to 6.2.1 with jun's loader then now I can't see the warning anymore and I can actually see that some people did upgrade to 6.2.1 no issues. So I have looked in the loaders of jun on Mega.co.nz website to see if new loaders were released but last updated date of the 3615&3617 files were same August 1st

So, shall I update or I'm missing something ?

11 hours ago, sunfishdied said:

https://xpenology.com/forum/announcement/17-dsm-621-23824-warning/

Warning still there lol

You can follow the community thread here, seems working with 3615 with no extra lzma

Yes warning is very much alive. I simply downgraded the severity because the problem doesn't seem to be related to the loader itself but to some modules contained in it. I guess @jun would need to update those modules for the loader to be functional for most people.

Hi All,

I am attempting to install 6.2 on a QNAP using VM.

I installed 6.1.7 perfectly fine and running smooth, but when I try to do 6.2, I get the message to use find.synology.com to find the machine, but it never finds it. 

I then tried to go back to 6.1.7 and use the Update to 6.2 from within the DSM > Control Panel, but that also didn't work.

Are there any specific update instructions since 6.1.7 uses a different loader, how can I update to the 6.2 loader if I am doing the Update from within DSM to 6.2?

On 9/5/2018 at 6:14 AM, Polanskiman said:

Yes warning is very much alive. I simply downgraded the severity because the problem doesn't seem to be related to the loader itself but to some modules contained in it. I guess @jun would need to update those modules for the loader to be functional for most people.

Thank you sir :) and much appreciated your response

On 9/5/2018 at 9:51 AM, elitef said:

Hi All,

I am attempting to install 6.2 on a QNAP using VM.

I installed 6.1.7 perfectly fine and running smooth, but when I try to do 6.2, I get the message to use find.synology.com to find the machine, but it never finds it. 

I then tried to go back to 6.1.7 and use the Update to 6.2 from within the DSM > Control Panel, but that also didn't work.

Are there any specific update instructions since 6.1.7 uses a different loader, how can I update to the 6.2 loader if I am doing the Update from within DSM to 6.2?

Can anyone please advise on this.

Cant get the "find.synology.com" and upload new pat.

Loader 1.03b (Post #1), Baremetal System J3455 with 4 GB ram, currently 6.1 on it. Started with 6.0.

USB Stick is VID/PID ok (verified) and I simply cannot upgrade. Even tried another stick, no way.

I get the typical bootloadermessages, thats it.

Edited by Robert Mitchum

20 hours ago, Robert Mitchum said:

Cant get the "find.synology.com" and upload new pat.

Loader 1.03b (Post #1), Baremetal System J3455 with 4 GB ram, currently 6.1 on it. Started with 6.0.

USB Stick is VID/PID ok (verified) and I simply cannot upgrade. Even tried another stick, no way.

I get the typical bootloadermessages, thats it.

As said before try to del .xpenoboot folder in the root folder.

check this topic

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13002-52-62-jun-loader-103b-no-network-connection/

Also  have you tried using another nic ? Try a Intel nic just might work for you.  It did for me...

Edited by painkiller895
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, painkiller895 said:

check this topic

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13002-52-62-jun-loader-103b-no-network-connection/

Also  have you tried using another nic ? Try a Intel nic just might work for you.  It did for me...

Thank you very much.  This was what finally got Jun Loader 1.03b working on my C2550D4I bare metal.

2 hours ago, painkiller895 said:

check this topic

I dont have .xpenoboot folder in the root of my NAS says "ls -al /"

Thank god I did a backup of my USB Stick with https://www.alexpage.de/

tool. Took me a bit to restore (my windows 10 ******* the new USB stick with "you have to format..." up and locked it) but eventually, I got that backup back to work. So no brick, but really short of.

And I have only this one "onboard" nic, so no way to change.

Edited by Robert Mitchum

So, I've been testing out the loader for the past few hours and I cannot seem to get it to work the way I need it to.

I am running XPEnology on a QNAP device. the 6.1.7 DSM installs perfectly fine with the older bootloader but I cannot get past the "find.synology.com" message on the 6.2 loader. It never actually activates for me to go through the installation of the DSM and SynoAssist never finds it.
I then tried to use the same exact loader by using a USB stick and booting the VM in QNAP to go through the USB stick and it works perfectly fine there and I was able to install it successfully.

Does anyone have ANY clues at all how I can get it to work WITHOUT the USB stick and just using the VM in QNAP with a created file from VMWARE Workstation?

3 hours ago, elitef said:

So, I've been testing out the loader for the past few hours and I cannot seem to get it to work the way I need it to.

I am running XPEnology on a QNAP device. the 6.1.7 DSM installs perfectly fine with the older bootloader but I cannot get past the "find.synology.com" message on the 6.2 loader. It never actually activates for me to go through the installation of the DSM and SynoAssist never finds it.
I then tried to use the same exact loader by using a USB stick and booting the VM in QNAP to go through the USB stick and it works perfectly fine there and I was able to install it successfully.

Does anyone have ANY clues at all how I can get it to work WITHOUT the USB stick and just using the VM in QNAP with a created file from VMWARE Workstation?

I was testing out 6.01 on Qnap VM (using the same method, create vm using vmware workstation, then exporting to .OVF), then after trying to get the 6.2 loader to work.  Got it working now.  Once it was working, I exported the VM to a QVM file so there's no need to go through the process of installing the PAT file.  

https://youtu.be/-uvm_Z0g2fs

Edited by rgarjr

5 hours ago, rgarjr said:

I was testing out 6.01 on Qnap VM (using the same method, create vm using vmware workstation, then exporting to .OVF), then after trying to get the 6.2 loader to work.  Got it working now.  Once it was working, I exported the VM to a QVM file so there's no need to go through the process of installing the PAT file.  

https://youtu.be/-uvm_Z0g2fs

Funny enough, I saw your video yesterday.

Your video shows 6.0.2 version which I've gotten to work just fine, as well as all the way up to 6.1.7. It is the 6.2 that I am having issues with.

I've created the OVF file in VMwW but I have yet to be able to get it to work on the QNAP because it loads/boots to the screen where it says to use the find.synology.com but my SynoAssistant isnt finding it. When I did the same exact thing using the USB method by BootyTrap on youtube, I was able to create the USB fine, connected it to the QNAP, booted the VM with USB being the primary boot option and it worked just fine. I just do not want to use a USB in order to run it since it is within the QNAP.

It is as if the 6.2 loader somehow requires something different in VMwW in terms of configuration compared to the older version for 6.1.7.

25 minutes ago, luchuma said:

use synoboot.vmdk instead usb and then export vm ;]

Yes, I have done that already which is what I mentioned in my last post. I used the instructions from this youtube Video

This worked for 6.1.7, but does NOT work for 6.2. I get stuck at the bootloader message to use find.synology.com but it is not discoverable on the network through the website or Synology Assistant.