XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

Hopefully not the wrong places for asking.

I have a question about the 1.04b loader and the DSM 6.2.1-23824 - WARNING:
"DO NOT UPDATE TO DSM 6.2.1 with Jun's loader 1.03a2 or  1.03b or earlier. You will most certainly brick your box because of a change in the kernel config that breaks all non official PCIe devices drivers."

Is this solved with the 1.04b loader?
I now use 1.02b loader with SATA onboard controller (ASRock B250M-HDV) with passthrough in ESXi  on DSM 6.1. Should this work with loader 1.04b and DSM 6.2.1?

Edited by glsf91
little correction

14 hours ago, glsf91 said:

Hopefully not the wrong places for asking.

I have a question about the 1.04b loader and the DSM 6.2.1-23824 - WARNING:
"DO NOT UPDATE TO DSM 6.2.1 with Jun's loader 1.03a2 or  1.03b or earlier. You will most certainly brick your box because of a change in the kernel config that breaks all non official PCIe devices drivers."

Is this solved with the 1.04b loader?
I now use 1.02b loader with SATA onboard controller (ASRock B250M-HDV) with passthrough in ESXi  on DSM 6.1. Should this work with loader 1.04b and DSM 6.2.1?

It should, but try it in a new VM just to be sure. 1.03b might also work (3615/17) depending on your hardware, it worked for me on baremetal Kaby Lake with Intel NIC but didn’t in a VM.

Dear Forum,

maybe this is a rookie question. I have managed to install 6.1.x on bare metal without impact. Now I wan't to test on a suitable machine (INTEL NIC and Intel CPU) 6.2.

Yesterday I have found the new loader 1.04b for ds918+ .

Now to my question/issue: I am not able to install the machine. Regardless which pat file I use I always get the question "File could not be installed ...(13)". See attached a screenshot in German.

Do you have any idea? Did I use a wrong serial?

94f407f3-8e81-4f03-9ed2-938fb02cb5f1.jfif

1 hour ago, RobertoW said:

Do you have any idea? Did I use a wrong serial? 

You said you checked it with another memory stick?

Need to ask.. Did you change the VID/PID when you tried the other memory stick? It will be different..

Also, might be worth using a serial and mac address that's simular to the scheme used on a real ds918+

VIP/PID: tool recommended inside here USB view and integrated into XPENOLOGY TOOL V.1.4.0

Setting up a device with DS3615xs in combination with 6.1 on bare metal is a peace of cake for me I only struggle with 6.2 using DS3615xs with 1.03b (starts and works fine but no NIC activity after updating to last 6.2 version, which is fine for other user inside here). Yesterday I have seen the 1.04b loader in combination with DS916+ but there I have the discussed issues.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:15 AM, Mitja said:

I’m running DSM 6.1.7 with Jun’s loader 1.02b DS3615xs without a problem on HP EliteDesk 8200, i5-2500, NIC Intel 82579LM.

When trying to boot with Jun’s 1.03b DS3615xs baremetal the usual loader screen shows up, but I can not find NAS in the network (with find.synology.com or Synology Assistent). Neither I can ping it.

Looks like network does not come up. New loader has same settings in grub like previous one.

1.03b loader boots in UEFI mode. I tried booting in Legacy mode, but withot success (black screen only with no text).

Any idea how to solve this? Is there a way to see some log where errors can be seen?

Hi,

I can confirm above, seems driver for NIC 82579LM is not included, please please please imclude this driver.

I noticed there is no extra.lmz for ds3615/3617 models, is that correct?

Hemant

Hi Folks,

I am using a 1.04B loader in baremetal for Xpenology 6.2.1. The problem is that I have 5 network cards and I can not have more than 2 active cards. Is it because the 918+ only has 2 network cards in reality? I modified the loader to add macs, switch, cable, restarted etc.

Anyone got it to work on ESXi 6.7 yet?

I've added the boot image as a SATA drive and tried both e1000e and the VMX network adapter. I've tried BIOS and EFI, but I can't seem to find it on the network. Not with Synology Asssistant or by looking at the router. Any tips what I might be missing? I can see the splash screen at the beginning, but notice the CPU spike to 100% and stays there.

If that means anything I'm using a i7-4770 in my ESXi server.

Qefjlud[1].png

Edited by NeoID

1 hour ago, bearcat said:

@hemant You may find some "extra's" here.

Hi,

Is this working for both 6.1 and 6.2, i assumed differences in the kernel.

tried 1.0.3b default not wokring with my Nic unable to find diskstation, both web and desktop version.

added extra.lmz from previous version to my image but still same issue.

Hemant

Edited by hemant

7 hours ago, therxavi said:

Hi Folks,

I am using a 1.04B loader in baremetal for Xpenology 6.2.1. The problem is that I have 5 network cards and I can not have more than 2 active cards. Is it because the 918+ only has 2 network cards in reality? I modified the loader to add macs, switch, cable, restarted etc.

I haven't tested it yet, but in your grub.cfg have you edited this line?

set netif_num=5

Set the number of NICs to use.

Edited by mr9v9

I was able to make 6.2.1-23824 run on XS3615 1.03b loader on my GEN8 on top esxi 6.7 (will update to U1 soon). I gathered the information given by several members in the thread

so in the end I did the following things:

Edited grub.cfg on the IMG file putting

SataPortMap=88 , DiskIdxMap=0 (did not change the VID/PID or serial yet)

Changed every disk from SCSI to SATA (I have 4 RDM and 1 vmdk)

Changed network interface from VMXNET3 to E1000e

Installed open-vm-tools 10.2.0-1

Everything works ok but I am only worried about the performance of the E1000e compared to the VMXNet in terms of transfer speed.

hello,

Asrock J3455 (UEFI+1.04b+Intel 82576 )is OK,speed of  both upload and download is normal (100MB/S).when using onboard NIC with leagcy BIOS,the upload speed is abnormal and  unstable.

DSM can not be found when using onboard NIC with UEFI BIOS in 1.04b after installation of system.

Issue: when shutdown the system,the power is still on; the system failed to restart successfully.

Edited by kanshudj

I was able to make 6.2.1-23824 run on XS3615 1.03b loader on my GEN8 on top esxi 6.7 (will update to U1 soon). I gathered the information given by several members in the thread
so in the end I did the following things:

Edited grub.cfg on the IMG file putting
SataPortMap=88 , DiskIdxMap=0 (did not change the VID/PID or serial yet)

Changed every disk from SCSI to SATA (I have 4 RDM and 1 vmdk)
Changed network interface from VMXNET3 to E1000e
Installed open-vm-tools 10.2.0-1

Everything works ok but I am only worried about the performance of the E1000e compared to the VMXNet in terms of transfer speed.
Can you please write is the transfer speed of this setup is sufficient for you?
I have a similar setup (the only difference is that I make a complete passthrough of the H310 HBA instead of making RDMs of the single disks) and think about updating from 6.2 to 6.2.1. But I want to make this step only if the transfer speed is similar to the 6.2-setup.

18 minutes ago, Balrog said:

I have a similar setup (the only difference is that I make a complete passthrough of the H310 HBA instead of making RDMs of the single disks) and think about updating from 6.2 to 6.2.1. But I want to make this step only if the transfer speed is similar to the 6.2-setup.

I am still rebuilding the raid (did not remember it took so long for empty disks in the past), however I made some preliminary tests with a single 3.7GB file on SSD VMDK, comparing UL/DL transfer speeds of DSM6.2  (via VMXNET3) and DSM6.2.1 (via E1000e), both on SMB to a W10 machine and I say they are almost equivalent. I know E1000e is not capable of managing jumbo frames but since my main router isn't able as well i think it's a fair tradeoff.

On SMB i reached an average of 30MB/s UL speed (write to vmdk) and 100MB/s DL (read from vmdk). I will test them again once the raid 5 is up (made by 4 Seagate 4TB 5900RPM - ST4000DM000) to give you the RDM performance but I think it will match the previous setup.

For knowledge my H310 HBA handles 5 distinct Arrays and as environment my whole house is cabled with a Cat5E Gbit so the wall of 100MB/s from SSD read is surely provided by the cable rather than the device, while the write speed is surely due the virtualization layer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balrog said:

I have a similar setup as simoareva , so I'll share my results and await @simoareva to compare as well, my drives however are OLD WD Green drives in an SHR setup.

Transfer is from a Windows 10 to the VM Virtual machine. on 1gbe Network connected to my router

Hope this helps..

Obi-Wan Transfer Speed.JPG

For comparison, Same test but from the Windows 10 to a Synology DS1817+ Via SFP+ DAC 10Gbe Cable (No Switch):

DeathStar 10Gbe Transfer Speed.JPG

Edited by jadehawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Il y a 19 heures, mr9v9 a dit :

I haven't tested it yet, but in your grub.cfg have you edited this line?

set netif_num=5

Set the number of NICs to use.

Oh my god, I missed it !

Since yesterday, I changed my mind and make a fresh install of 3617xs in 6.2 (not 6.2.1), All the lan are working in stock.

But, Thank you for the advice !

• Thanks 1