XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

9 hours ago, Tattoofreak said:

Just to be sure: Will vDSM work on VirtualBox? I don't think so because I have to give it a valid license, right?

I don't know sorry, but think that is the same behaviour like the installation of xpenology over the ESXi.

I think that the vDSM is only available in the VMM.

8 hours ago, Flint said:

Does anybody have working 6.2.1 config with e1000e nic driver?

e1000e i a native synology driver in dsm 6.2 (3615)  so the driver should work even when all "additional" drivers dont after update to 6.2.1 with loader 1.03b

thats also the reason why 1.03b is still working for a lot of people with 918+ and dsm 6.2.1, most have a realtek onboard nic and that is a a native driver for 918+ directly coming from synology in dsm

if using a system close or (more or less) identical to the original synology hardware (including official optional adapters/drivers) 1.03b still works with 6.2.1, its not the "protection" that kicks in its just a driver option issue that (presumably) can be fixed be recompiling the drivers with the right source or kernel options

25 minutes ago, jemyzhang said:

@jun Any way that we can put the boot log to the screen for the debug purpose? I failed to add rs232 connector to the com header of the motherboard, seems the output voltage is not correct, maybe the rs232 circuit was broken.

if you did not had the original cable and did not consult the manual you might have just have used the wrong com header ribbon cable to subd9 adapter, there are two different types usually used depending on the board vendor

41 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

if you did not had the original cable and did not consult the manual you might have just have used the wrong com header ribbon cable to subd9 adapter, there are two different types usually used depending on the board vendor

I checked with multimeter, and according to manual, the ribbon cable is correct, but the output voltage was weird, I remember the tx was about 0.8v, and rx was about 0.1v.

Edited by jemyzhang

@Tattoofreak, did you confirm CPU options of your DSM VM on ESXi ?

I think you have to set options below if you didn't yet.

• Enable "Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS"
  • Choose "CPU/MMU Virtualization" to "Hardware CPU and MMU"(or try another)

It's necessary to enable those to work nested virtualization, generally.

# But I'm not confident because VDSM error message didn't point out virtualization capability.

# So, I think you did those already...

On 10/30/2018 at 11:01 AM, ideasman69 said:

did you do the following?

- install video station

- ensure hardware transcoding is enabled within video station

- you have a valid serial number and MAC address

- disable C states and speedstep in the BIOS

Do we need to add "disconnect all display cables from video cards" to the check list ?

I've read that on above post, but recently no one wrote about display cable.

Is that still required to work transcoding ?

I didn't have experience those because I don't have 918p enabled hardware,  

but I guess some of you might miss display cable disconnection.

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

Can you tell me what kind of cable i need for a serial connection to my motherboard. A ebay link would be nice.

3 hours ago, benok said:

Do we need to add "disconnect all display cables from video cards" to the check list ?

I've read that on above post, but recently no one wrote about display cable.

Is that still required to work transcoding ?

I didn't have experience those because I don't have 918p enabled hardware,  

but I guess some of you might miss display cable disconnection.

On my Server the is no Display cable connected and Hardware Transcoding don't work. Asrock j4205

3 hours ago, benok said:

@Tattoofreak, did you confirm CPU options of your DSM VM on ESXi ?

I think you have to set options below if you didn't yet.

• Enable "Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS"
  • Choose "CPU/MMU Virtualization" to "Hardware CPU and MMU"(or try another)

It's necessary to enable those to work nested virtualization, generally.

# But I'm not confident because VDSM error message didn't point out virtualization capability.

# So, I think you did those already...

OMG, that really did the trick, dumb me!

You are my hero for today.

Thank you very much!

On 8/1/2018 at 12:00 PM, jun said:

Hi, everyone,

Thanks for you patience.

A new ds918 loader support 6.2/6.21 is uploaded.

Just installed this 1.04b loader for DS918+ on Gigabyte GA-J3455N-D3H board, without apparent issues.

Did notice no info is displayed at all on monitor output, not even nromal Xpenology boot menu. Is this as intended?

Is DS918+ image now adviced for J3455 platforms?

Feedback / comments welcome.

Il y a 1 heure, Enzo-fr a dit :

Salut

J'ai fait une migration, tu change juste le vid , pis et l'adresse mac  du loader

Merci pour ta réponse

Mais j'ai du mal croire qu'en changeant uniquement ces 2 valeurs ça suffisent.

Les fichiers d'installation dsm 6.2.1  pat ont des tailles différentes entre le 918 et 3615

il y a 20 minutes, hedo67 a dit :

Merci pour ta réponse

Mais j'ai du mal croire qu'en changeant uniquement ces 2 valeurs ça suffisent.

Les fichiers d'installation dsm 6.2.1  pat ont des tailles différentes entre le 918 et 3615

3 valeurs. Vid,pid, Mac

Je l'ai laissé les télécharger lors de la migration, donc aucune idée pour la taille

I currently have a DSM 6.2 ESXi installation based on the older 3615 loader, and I wanted to upgrade to this bootloader (New 1.04)

I replaced the synoboot.img on my ESXi datastore, I get the splashscreen with Jun's email address, but I never get any response from the IP. Is there some extra steps I need to do in order to get this working with ESXi? 

I have both an e1000E and a vmxnet3 NIC, so if its a compatibility problem with vmxnet3 then it shouldn't be an issue.

I also did try to use the 3617 bootloader with the same VMDK, but I get the following...

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.44.26 PM.png

Edited by MooseMan123

I think I answered my own questions here. This thread is very confusing since the main post is talking about the DS918+ loader, but the thread is discussing past edits which are no longer visible

These are not incremental updates, they are three separate versions.

DS918+ - Happens to have a new 1.04 update and supports DSM 6.2.1 

DS3617xs - Only has 1.03 and doesn't fully support the latest DSM (This should be the go-to loader for newer systems) Does NOT support VMXNET3

DS3615xs - Only has 1.03 and doesn't fully support the latest DSM (Should be more compatible with older systems) - Does NOT support VMXNET3

The grub issue I had above was strange, it ended up just working. Perhaps some weird glitch in ESXi keeping something in memory.

I am now running 23739 on my ESXi 6.7 Host (Supermicro X9, Dual E5-2680 V2's) with the DS3617xs 1.03 loader with no issues. I did update to 6.2.1, however then I lose 10G networking through VMXNET3 (Since its not supported!) For safety I have been keeping my NIC's in a Bond with at-least one e1000e just so I don't completely lose networking

If you do want to upgrade to a new bootloader on ESXi, you do NOT have to swap out the vmdk file, you can just swap out the .img file. Once you boot. you will have to see if the DSM bootloader pulled a new IP, and "upgrade" the installation with the correct .pat file (Since they are different between versions)

Can we expect a new 1.04 for the DS3617xs or DS3615xs? It would be nice to be on the latest update while retaining 10G networking!

Edited by MooseMan123

5 hours ago, CrazyCreator said:

Hello,

today i make the Update from Loader 1.02b to 1.03b on my HP Microserver Gen8 ... And the Update to DSM Version: 6.2-23739

All work fine :) But now the question: Can i update to DSM 6.2.1-23824?

i think only 1.04b (918+) can update to latest