10 hours ago, espetoet said:

Hello everyone.

My configuration is

Mother Board: DQ77KB
Processor: Core I7 3777s
Ram 8GB 1600mhz
Msata 32gb
Hdd 1TB.

I would like to know if it supports loader 1.04b.

I tried to load the loader but it does not work in any way it gets frozen on the black screen and does not take ip. Observe the pendriver light goes out after a while. I do not know if it crashed or gave any error. can help me. thanks in advance.

😥

It won’t work on Ivy Bridge, you need Haswell or newer for DS918+. 

On 10/25/2018 at 12:37 PM, ideasman69 said:

nope - even with all of @modboxx's advice over here, system still runs slow :(

i've got 3 different models of these boards (J3455-M, J3455B-ITX and J3455-ITX) but they all run slow with either of the 918+ boot images. So im not sure how you are the only one on here with one of these boards and no issues 😕

the activation.conf file doesn't exist with the latest boot loader and 6.2.1, whereas it did with the previous boot loader and 6.2. hardware transcoding in video station doesn't seem to work at all now? 

i have plex pass but it's not even worth touching that until it's working in video station. it'd be awesome if @jun could mention what type of motherboard his testing this stuff on and what his bios suggestions are. might help a lot of us!

image.png.b97eba2da09d7b359f34944c8b909324.png

My write speed is ok, this is with my nas still doing resync...

I hope its fine to post question here as I see others do it.

I currently have older version baremetal:

DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8

DS3615xs

I would like to update to a newer version. Would this loader work for me with the newest official software? Hardware is:

Intel® Pentium® Processor G4560

MSI H110I PRO Intel H110

Corsair ValueSelect DDR4-2133 DIMM CL15 Single 8GB

No cache disks

4 HDD's in RAID-5 but planning on adding a few more disks eventually. Maybe total of 6 in near future.

Will this work you think? Thanks!

I run my DSM with VMware and changed from DS3615 to DS3617 using DM 6.2 and Jun's BL 1.03b. I observe, that newest version are released first for the DSM918+.

I have tested DSM918+ on VMware 14 with Jun's BL 1.04b and it works with DM 6.2.1, but for "productive" usage, I'm still on DS3617 with DS6.2 and BL 1.03b.

No my question to the experts of this forum: Is it recommeneded to switch from DS3615/17 to DS918+ as it's based on newer HW (I use a N4200 Apollo lake CPU in my VMware machine)?

Do you see June focus more on the DS918+ rather than the older DS3615/17? 

1 hour ago, knopserl said:

I run my DSM with VMware and changed from DS3615 to DS3617 using DM 6.2 and Jun's BL 1.03b. I observe, that newest version are released first for the DSM918+.

I have tested DSM918+ on VMware 14 with Jun's BL 1.04b and it works with DM 6.2.1, but for "productive" usage, I'm still on DS3617 with DS6.2 and BL 1.03b.

No my question to the experts of this forum: Is it recommeneded to switch from DS3615/17 to DS918+ as it's based on newer HW (I use a N4200 Apollo lake CPU in my VMware machine)? 

Do you see June focus more on the DS918+ rather than the older DS3615/17?  

I think it's a no-brainer to move to DS3617 - if you're on 3615 and your hardware supports it..

However, moving to DS918 is up for discussion..  It has got a newer kernel version (4.4.x) rather than the 3615's 3.10.x..

Transcoding? I don't transcode. I'm not sure what the point is other than to make your CPU work it's ass off - I just stream in whatever the native format is..

13 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

I think it's a no-brainer to move to DS3617 - if you're on 3615 and your hardware supports it..

However, moving to DS918 is up for discussion..  It has got a newer kernel version (4.4.x) rather than the 3615's 3.10.x..

Transcoding? I don't transcode. I'm not sure what the point is other than to make your CPU work it's ass off - I just stream in whatever the native format is..

So what exactly determines if hardware support is good for ds918?

is it just CPU and NIC card on the motherboard? I have a intel g4560 and MSI B250I-Pro which has the

Realtek RTL8111H Gigabit LAN controller

I guess it will fail because not an intel ethernet controller?

I've finally managed to get the latest loader (1.04b) working on our main NAS which is running a J3455B-ITX motherboard.

Our previous working configuration was as follows:

• J3455B-ITX v1.30 bios
  • Juns 1.03b bootloader
  • DSM 6.2-23739-2
  • 4 x 4TB in RAID 5 BTRFS

I went down the upgrade path rather than trying to get a test system working.

• Grabbed the latest loader v1.04b
    • Modified it with a legit serial / mac address / USB VID/PID
    • Wrote the modified image to the USB stick, plugged it in and rebooted the machine
  • It took a long while to come up but managed to run the migration/upgrade via find.synology.com
  • Once the system was up and running, changed support_spectre_meltdown_mitigation="yes" to "no" in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

Looks like it's all working:

• /dev/dri exists
  • /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf also exists and has {"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","hevc_dec","ac3_dec"],"token":"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"} in it.
  • I can pass this device through to the Plex docker and hardware transcoding works

Issues:

• Network write speed doesn't stick at ~115MB/s like it did when running 1.03b + 6.2-23739-2:
    • 2018-10-28_21-58-26.gif.3a889c11d2df56304af8c61d2c1e788f.gif
  • Network read speed seems pretty good but still not as solid as 1.03b + 6.2-23739-2:
    • 2018-10-28_21-59-16.gif.9024cc3a9a3870a52fa3983deef21393.gif
  • Boot times are SLOW! Takes a good number of minutes to get past this stage in the boot process:
    • Post init

==================== start udevd ====================
      ===== trigger device plug event =====

• And I get these errors right at the start of the boot loader but I can't seem to find the etc/synoinfo.conf.rej file:

• patching file etc/rc
      patching file etc/synoinfo.conf
      Hunk #2 FAILED at 263.
      Hunk #3 FAILED at 291.
      Hunk #4 FAILED at 304.
      Hunk #5 FAILED at 312.
      Hunk #6 FAILED at 328.
      5 out of 6 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/synoinfo.conf.rej

Better progress than I've had in a while so hopefully it proves to be stable and the hardware transcoding support is worth it!

19 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

So what exactly determines if hardware support is good for ds918?

is it just CPU and NIC card on the motherboard? I have a intel g4560 and MSI B250I-Pro which has the

Realtek RTL8111H Gigabit LAN controller

I guess it will fail because not an intel ethernet controller? 

The drivers in the loader, I guess..

There are some realtec drives included in 1.04b..
Disconnect your hard disks, put a temporary hard disk in and give it a test, using a different USB drive..

CPU support is definitely a concern though.. It simply refused to work on my Ivy Bridge i7 when using ESXi..

I changed the CPU to a Haswell (i7 4785T) and it worked first time (on a new Motherboard, obviously).. 4th Gen is minimum CPU requirement..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

The drivers in the loader, I guess..

There are some realtec drives included in 1.04b..
Disconnect your hard disks, put a temporary hard disk in and give it a test, using a different USB drive..

CPU support is definitely a concern though.. It simply refused to work on my Ivy Bridge i7 when using ESXi..

I changed the CPU to a Haswell (i7 4785T) and it worked first time (on a new Motherboard, obviously).. 4th Gen is minimum CPU requirement..

Hi!

Thanks so much for answering. Im right now in the process of doing this so I just sat by the laptop for 20mins waiting for your answer :) Thanks!

It is enough for me to just unplug my 3 drives I have right now in a RAID-5 config, and it will be untouched by any errors that might occur right..?

And if everything goes successfull I can just ******* down the NAS and plug them in again and it is ready to go with my old volume working?

If unsuccessful I can just put the old USB back with the loader etc that Im running right now and plug the disks back and its back to this state at the moment..?

Edit: also my CPU is 7th gen kaby lake if Im not mistaken. Its a intel g4560 . So not ivy Bridge. So it should be compatible with the DS918+, just the ethernet controller that I need to hope for right?

Edited by Jamzor

45 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

Hi!

Thanks so much for answering. Im right now in the process of doing this so I just sat by the laptop for 20mins waiting for your answer :) Thanks!

It is enough for me to just unplug my 3 drives I have right now in a RAID-5 config, and it will be untouched by any errors that might occur right..?

And if everything goes successfull I can just ******* down the NAS and plug them in again and it is ready to go with my old volume working?

If unsuccessful I can just put the old USB back with the loader etc that Im running right now and plug the disks back and its back to this state at the moment..?

Edit: also my CPU is 7th gen kaby lake if Im not mistaken. Its a intel g4560 . So not ivy Bridge. So it should be compatible with the DS918+, just the ethernet controller that I need to hope for right?

No worries.. Yes, if you UNPLUG all your current drives and use a different hard drive AND USB flash drive, your existing configuration will be untouched..

You will be able to reconnect them and plug in your current flash drive and it will go back to the way it was..

Just remember to change back any BIOS changes you make (if any)..

Yep, sounds like Ethernet will be the only concern..

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

No worries.. Yes, if you UNPLUG all your current drives and use a different hard drive AND USB flash drive, your existing configuration will be untouched..

You will be able to reconnect them and plug in your current flash drive and it will go back to the way it was..

Thank you!

Now Ive looked around for the tutorials as it was a long time ago I did this first time.

I really can not find a good tutorial for a fresh install of this version DSM and 918+. Do you know what tutorial i should follow?

thanks

EDIT:

I guess I can just follow the

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

But use load 1.04b and download the latest DSM from synology website. However I dont know how to get serial number for 918+

Edited by Jamzor

On 10/26/2018 at 5:42 PM, Jeong said:

There seems to be a problem with the bios version.
Upon searching, it appears that the Bios 1.5 and 1.6 versions of J3455-ITX and J4205-ITX have brick issues and some bugs have not been fixed.
The bios versions of most J3455 and J4205 that are not working properly appear to be 1.4.

This is just my think.

OK i have the j4205-itx Mainboard wich BIOS Version would you recommend. 

10 hours ago, Hostilian said:

GOT IT WORKING!! Finally.. only took me like 12 hours!

lol...

Thanks for the help m8

Massive thanks to jun! 

Hardware acceleration is now working on my 8th gen i7-8700K. Using new ds918 loader 1.04b. Bare metal on DSM 6.2.1.

Even with Plex running inside a Docker container it is detecting the hardware (for anyone wondering, this required the plex user having ownership of /dev/dri/* and setting the device flag + mounting /dev/dri in the container).

This is really super... I thought it would only be possible with another big kernel upgrade from Synology. Fantastic to have it working with these CPU's. Thanks again for the amazing work jun 👌

Screenshot 2018-10-29 at 02.21.20.png

Screenshot 2018-10-29 at 02.57.30.png

Edited by MrGarak
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, MrGarak said:

(for anyone wondering, this required the plex user having ownership of /dev/dri/* and setting the device flag + mounting /dev/dri in the container)

if you don't want to change permissions or prefer to run your docker as another user (as i do) - you can add this one line to plex-common.sh within the plex docker image:

chmod 777 /dev/dri/renderD128

This way nothing is touched on the synology side and runs everytime the docker is restarted.

But yeah - awesome work @jun!

Edited by ideasman69
  • Like 1

I can't get the new loaders (1.03 and 1.04) to work on my VMware Workstation installation. Working fine on 6.1 and 1.02 right now. But I'd like to update.

I assume I can just load the new loader and update afterwards? I tried 1.03, but I'm not getting anything in Synology Assistant. Haven't tried 1.04 since I've got a 3615 now. I once had a 3617 which worked great, but that stopped working for some reason... No access to internet. Downgraded to a 3615 and it worked again. Is there any difference for a VM? I haven't noticed anything.

How about updates? I read  you can't run the latest version but have to use a certain version?

22 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

I'm running 1.30 on my boards - but i think you'll need to disable support_spectre_meltdown_mitigation="yes". Check my post further up this page

OK i downgraded my Bios to 1.3 on my Asrock J4205-itx and made a fresh install with a brand new Hdd an and a new USB-Stick, but the /dev/dir folder isnt there. 

For my use is HW transcoding from a h265 Video important. 

I know that many people have the same problem with the Asrock itx Boards so i hope that someone can find a solution and share it with us. 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Profiler64 said:

OK i downgraded my Bios to 1.3 on my Asrock J4205-itx and made a fresh install with a brand new Hdd an and a new USB-Stick, but the /dev/dir folder isnt there. 

For my use is HW transcoding from a h265 Video important. 

I know that many people have the same problem with the Asrock itx Boards so i hope that someone can find a solution and share it with us. 🙂

did you do the following?

- install video station

- ensure hardware transcoding is enabled within video station

- you have a valid serial number and MAC address

- disable C states and speedstep in the BIOS

• Like 1