XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

7 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

nope - even with all of @modboxx's advice over here, system still runs slow :(

i've got 3 different models of these boards (J3455-M, J3455B-ITX and J3455-ITX) but they all run slow with either of the 918+ boot images. So im not sure how you are the only one on here with one of these boards and no issues 😕

the activation.conf file doesn't exist with the latest boot loader and 6.2.1, whereas it did with the previous boot loader and 6.2. hardware transcoding in video station doesn't seem to work at all now? 

i have plex pass but it's not even worth touching that until it's working in video station. it'd be awesome if @jun could mention what type of motherboard his testing this stuff on and what his bios suggestions are. might help a lot of us!

Those settings were for 1.03a2  loader that i found to improve my system performance, for 1.04b I actually use the opposite of some of those settings and have a great experience.  I'm not the only one who uses the j3455 platform and has a great experience I recommend you look over these forums on advice for issue your are having.

As for actual performance problems please clarify what exactly is your issue?  Where's the slow down? Is it network? Is it hard drive related?  GPU? 

Activation.conf does not get created when you install DSM6.1/6.2.  So if this was a fresh install don't expect to see it.  The file gets created after you install Videostation, enable hw acceleration, and play a video, until then it will not exist unless you ssh into your system and run the command to create it.  Additionally Plex does not use the file whatsoever, it doesn't care if it's there or not and on top of that Videostation Sucks why even waste your time with it?  The newer version are limited to a few audio codecs even with ffmpeg installed.  

2 hours ago, modboxx said:

Those settings were for 1.03a2  loader that i found to improve my system performance, for 1.04b I actually use the opposite of some of those settings and have a great experience.

oh awesome - any chance you could please drop your new settings in here??

As for actual performance problems please clarify what exactly is your issue?  Where's the slow down? Is it network? Is it hard drive related?  GPU? 

just general slowness. here's a few examples:

- just after a clean install of DSM, the machine reboots. with the 3615/3617 bootloaders, the 10 minute countdown gets down to ~7 mins before it's ready to go. With 1.04b - it almost takes the entire 10 mins

- reboots take minutes vs 3615/3617's ~1 min

- write  speeds are half of what the 3615/3617 loaders are. the test build i put together last night has 2 x 1TB in RAID0 and a separate 120GB SSD. over the 1gb connection, i can't go higher than 50MB/s write. however booting into the 3615/3617 loader, it writes at 115MB/s

Activation.conf does not get created when you install DSM6.1/6.2. 

understand that - but hardware acceleration is enabled by default in video station on 6.2.1. toggling the setting does nothing, streaming video works but as soon as you ask it to transcode - nothing happens. i was under the assumption that any hardware acceleration required video station to be installed, hardware accelaration enabled and the codecs activated. Once this is done, the /dev/dri/ device appears to which i can passthrough the plex docker. there is no /dev/dri device on my 1.04b / 6.2.1 build so plex transcoding will not work:

nodri.png.d73916dc9f75fe4979995d35d1e8d18f.png

it's worth noting that i haven't tried your recommended bios settings with 1.03a2 so i might wipe it all and give that a go. i at least had hardware transcoding activated on 1.03a2.

Edited by ideasman69
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, A.S._id said:

Im using integrate nic Broadcom BCM5723KMLG and 2x pci-e BMC5751 NetXtreme united in bond

Ahh, OK. I just realised that your using DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2, somehow I read it as you where using 6.2.1-xxx, 😏

then it makes perfectly sense, as I'm using the same loader and DSM version, with internal nic and a HP NC360T (intel based) on one of my N54Ls.

The dual-port NC360 is working with 6.2.1, but the internal is not.

2 minutes ago, ziorufus said:

I'm using the built-in network card.

Do you think the problem is the network card or the AMD processor?

1 - Disable C1 in BIOS

2 - Use Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs, edit vid/pid/sn/mac, write to USB

3 - Download DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat (DSM 6.1.7 to be safe) or DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat (DSM 6.2 if you really want it)

4 - Boot from you USB and install the preferred .pat file manually. 

5 - Make sure you disable auto updates, and ONLY check for important and security updates

6 - If you go for 6.2, do NOT update any higher than update 2.

1 minute ago, bearcat said:

1 - Disable C1 in BIOS

2 - Use Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs, edit vid/pid/sn/mac, write to USB

3 - Download DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat (DSM 6.1.7 to be safe) or DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat (DSM 6.2 if you really want it)

4 - Boot from you USB and install the preferred .pat file manually. 

5 - Make sure you disable auto updates, and ONLY check for important and security updates

6 - If you go for 6.2, do NOT update any higher than update 2.

My problem is that Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs loads until the black screen but then I do not see the computer on the network.

If I try with the same identical vid/pid/sn/mac on v1.02b, it works perfectly.

The problem is that the v1.02b does not work with DSM 6.2 (at least this is written on the documentation, I have not tried actually).

On 8/7/2018 at 10:54 AM, latpboe said:

Baremetal HP Microserver Gen8 with Xeon 1265Lv2 succesfully updated to 6.2 based on DS3615xs

I just copied the new loader img to the microsd, edited the grub.cfg and uploaded the new pat file without any problems in the process.

Just waiting for a hp-ams compiled for 6.2 ...

Probably will move to a DS3617xs in a few weeks, but as of today I'm too lazy to reinstall and configure every package ...

Why would you change from the DS3615xs to the DS3617xs?

I have an ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe (AMD APU) what was running DSM 6.1.7 well by Jun's Loader v1.02b.

I want to try the v1.04b as I saw many people got it works with Realtek NIC.

However, the RLT8111E cannot get any IP from DHCP so I cannot connect to it to proceed the fresh installation.

bash-4.3# lspci | grep 10ec
0000:04:00.0 Class 0200: Device 10ec:8168 (rev 06)

bash-4.3# lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'

Kernel driver in use: r8168

As other fellow can get their Realtek NIC working so I suppose v1.04b loader also has r8168 included? Any tweak I can get it working?

Thanks a lot.

17 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

understand that - but hardware acceleration is enabled by default in video station on 6.2.1. toggling the setting does nothing, streaming video works but as soon as you ask it to transcode - nothing happens. i was under the assumption that any hardware acceleration required video station to be installed, hardware accelaration enabled and the codecs activated. Once this is done, the /dev/dri/ device appears to which i can passthrough the plex docker. there is no /dev/dri device on my 1.04b / 6.2.1 build so plex transcoding will not work:

nodri.png.d73916dc9f75fe4979995d35d1e8d18f.png

it's worth noting that i haven't tried your recommended bios settings with 1.03a2 so i might wipe it all and give that a go. i at least had hardware transcoding activated on 1.03a2.

That's odd that the folder is not there?  I can confirm on a clean install that folders is there

Here's a screenshot from a clean install from this morning with just ssh enabled.  

PS disk was wiped prior to install.

tEHdQNH.png

In your bios settings is your graphics set to onboard?

I posted a test video of plex hw acceleration performance with juns new i915 driver, also note this is with performance set eco mode in bios, with sports its even faster.  During playback watch the buffer fill up, it's amazing how good that is with a 4k hevc.  Additionally that video is from a remote storage folder located on another xpenology.  One last note the video was recorded using 10fps so it's a bit choppy but not the reflection of the real experience.

Test video

Edited by modboxx

35 minutes ago, modboxx said:

That's odd that the folder is not there?  I can confirm on a clean install that folders is there

Here's a screenshot from a clean install from this morning with just ssh enabled.  

PS disk was wiped prior to install.

tEHdQNH.png

In your bios settings is your graphics set to onboard?

I posted a test video of plex hw acceleration performance with juns new i915 driver, also note this is with performance set eco mode in bios, with sports its even faster.  During playback watch the buffer fill up, it's amazing how good that is with a 4k hevc.  Additionally that video is from a remote storage folder located on another xpenology.  One last note the video was recorded using 10fps so it's a bit choppy but not the reflection of the real experience.

Test video

I regret my poor English.

What is your motherboard for?
Many people using Asrock's J3455 and J4205 are currently experiencing a situation where the /dev/dri folder does not exist and would like to know why you only operate normally.
1. Is it the main board of Asrock?
2. What's the bios version of Asrock's main board?
3. Is there any change to the bios setting you have noticed?
4. How many HDDs do you use?

5. Do you think there is a change depending on the type of USB memory?

As you know, I would appreciate it if you could answer these questions.

Thank you very much for your help.

12 minutes ago, Jeong said:

I regret my poor English.

What is your motherboard for?
Many people using Asrock's J3455 and J4205 are currently experiencing a situation where the /dev/dri folder does not exist and would like to know why you only operate normally.
1. Is it the main board of Asrock?
2. What's the bios version of Asrock's main board?
3. Is there any change to the bios setting you have noticed?
4. How many HDDs do you use?

5. Do you think there is a change depending on the type of USB memory?

As you know, I would appreciate it if you could answer these questions.

Thank you very much for your help.

My Motherboard J3455M

Bios 1.80

I did change my bios settings but I do not believe that has anything to do with it because I've tried almost every combination of settings and never had an issue with HW acceleration.

I used to have one server with six drives (5x 4tb purple + 1 ssd Samsung pro) then I split it into two server, the one from the video only has one drive either way when it was six or one hw acceleration still worked.

I use an old 4gb usb2 stick

On 10/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, Mitja said:

I’m running DSM 6.1.7 with Jun’s loader 1.02b DS3615xs without a problem on HP EliteDesk 8200, i5-2500, NIC Intel 82579LM.

When trying to boot with Jun’s 1.03b DS3615xs baremetal the usual loader screen shows up, but I can not find NAS in the network (with find.synology.com or Synology Assistent). Neither I can ping it.

Looks like network does not come up. New loader has same settings in grub like previous one.

1.03b loader boots in UEFI mode. I tried booting in Legacy mode, but withot success (black screen only with no text).

Any idea how to solve this? Is there a way to see some log where errors can be seen?

Same here: HP z220 workstation 82579lm does not working on any 6.2 syno loaders...

1 hour ago, modboxx said:

My Motherboard J3455M

Bios 1.80

I did change my bios settings but I do not believe that has anything to do with it because I've tried almost every combination of settings and never had an issue with HW acceleration.

I used to have one server with six drives (5x 4tb purple + 1 ssd Samsung pro) then I split it into two server, the one from the video only has one drive either way when it was six or one hw acceleration still worked.

I use an old 4gb usb2 stick

There seems to be a problem with the bios version.
Upon searching, it appears that the Bios 1.5 and 1.6 versions of J3455-ITX and J4205-ITX have brick issues and some bugs have not been fixed.
The bios versions of most J3455 and J4205 that are not working properly appear to be 1.4.

This is just my think.

15 minutes ago, Jeong said:

There seems to be a problem with the bios version.
Upon searching, it appears that the Bios 1.5 and 1.6 versions of J3455-ITX and J4205-ITX have brick issues and some bugs have not been fixed.
The bios versions of most J3455 and J4205 that are not working properly appear to be 1.4.

This is just my think.

I actually think the same, I read about that a while back and most people reported gpu issues after upgrading their bios.  

Try to upgrading again and see if it lets you?  then clear cmos and see what happens maybe you'll get lucky.

6 hours ago, modboxx said:

My Motherboard J3455M

Bios 1.80

i had 1.60 on my j3455-itx which allowed me to get DSM installed - but since rolling back to 1.30, it doesn't work. I've noticed that the 6.2.1 has support_spectre_meltdown_mitigation="yes" in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf by default and from what i can work out, 1.60 has the spectre fix while 1.30 doesn't. 

i too always wipe my drives before a reinstall (fdisk in ubuntu, write a new msdos partition table) so it's all still a mystery why it's so inconsistent. What SATA cards are you using?

I do have a J3455M here so I can always test on that. 

Edited by ideasman69

Hello everyone.

My configuration is

Mother Board: DQ77KB
Processor: Core I7 3777s
Ram 8GB 1600mhz
Msata 32gb
Hdd 1TB.

I would like to know if it supports loader 1.04b.

I tried to load the loader but it does not work in any way it gets frozen on the black screen and does not take ip. Observe the pendriver light goes out after a while. I do not know if it crashed or gave any error. can help me. thanks in advance.

😥