XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

On 8/14/2018 at 11:09 PM, modboxx said:

You guys should look over your bios settings, I have a j3455M with two extra ahci cards, two ports per a card(using 5 of the 6 ports) and I do not have of these issues. 

Bios (1.80 spectre/meltdown)

CPU config:  

Intel SpeedStep = disabled - No driver (Slows and crashes system)

CPU C States = disabled 

intel vt-d = enabled

PowerGear = Sport (Buttery smooth Plex)

Chipset Configuration:

Adjust your memory speed and voltage, don't leave it on auto.

Share Memory = 64

Onboard HD Audio = Disabled

ACPI Configuration:

Suspend to RAM = disabled

RTC Alarm Power On = disabled (DSM can't read RTC Clock so doubt this would work, best to disable for now)

USB Configuration:

Legacy USB Support = UEFI only

Trusted Computing:

Disable all

Security Screen:

Secure Boot = Disabled

Intel(R) Platform Trust Technology = Disabled

Boot Screen:

CSM (Compatibility Support Module) = Disabled

Some additional notes. 

Goto /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

support_led_brightness_adjustment="no"  that should fix your ahci_led stuff

support_fan="no"

support_spectre_meltdown_mitigation="yes" (Check bottom) if your on bios 1.80(j3455m) or which ever version that fixes the spectre/meldown for the j3455*-itx model 

Plex does hw transcoding every time I use it, never had to reboot it, do you guys have plex pass?

hell yeah! i've got another J3455-ITX board coming in a couple days and look forward to trying out your suggestions. thanks man

On 10/21/2018 at 10:00 PM, FiberInternetUser said:

After upgrading to jun's lastest 918+ boot loader 1.04b, ASRock J3455-ITX motherboard does not perform a graceful shutdown.  Can't perform a reboot from the DSM GUI as It hangs on shutdown. 

I have the same Problem. And the /dev/dir folder disappered. 

First of alll, thanks Jun for all your work. It’s incredible we can use DSM with our servers.

I’ve installed the loader in 2 different computers, both of them baremetal: in my own server (Supermicro X11SHF-4LNF & i3 6300) and in an intel NUC5i3RYH (i3 5010U)

On both them I get everything working (even the M.2 SSD attached to the nuc).

I’m also able to transcode with Plex Pass (/dev/dri present on both systems), but after a couple of minutes, both computers crashed. I’ve repeated the same procedure several times with the same result... crash and I have to reset the system.

I know for sure that transcode works on both, as I tested them with a clean install of Debian Stretch and I get hardware acceleration.

As the i915 driver has changed since the last version, is there any chance we can try different versions of the driver for testing?

First of all, Thanks Jun for all your work.

And I regret my poor English.

While using J4205 system, I'm also getting the same error that shows "does not exist /dev/dri"

In addition, power does not turn off automatically when shutting down the system

Attempted to use passthrough through ESXi, but J4205 does not support passthrough.

In version 1.03a2, /dev/dri existed, but the system was very unstable and writes very slowly.

Will you please provide solution for this problem? Thank you

Edited by Jeong
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, waazdakka said:

@Polanskiman I assume it's stupid to think about moving from DS3615 to DS918 to get the last loader ? (Or have to make a fresh install ;) )

Not only that but you get a much more recent Kernel.. 4.x as opposed to 3.x..

Annoying as it's not going to work on my Ivy Bridge ESXi.. It needs Haswell or later..

I'd test the upgrade using another hard drive and different flash drive first though..  (Disconnect all your currrent HDDs and don't use your current USB stick..)

My J3455B was always freezing after the first reset. Today I decided to try your 1.04 loader and i didn't even have to reinstall, it just came online after startup! Just finished installation and all is up and running. Thank you!

EDIT:

I'm running 6.2-23739, can I update to .23824? Thanks

Edited by sirotkaslo

On 10/23/2018 at 12:15 AM, waazdakka said:

@Polanskiman I assume it's stupid to think about moving from DS3615 to DS918 to get the last loader ? (Or have to make a fresh install ;) )

maybe stupid question.

HP Microserver Gen8 E3-1220l V2 CPU with Xpenology baremetal.

should i stay on 1.03b or i can move to 1.04b?

Edited by mrjay

I'm running on 6.1.7 on a VMWare Workstation install. Can I just reboot with 1.03 or 1.04 and upgrade to 6.2 via DSM directly? Or should I try via the .pat file, or isn't it this easy at all? Right now I have a 3615xs. But there is no loader for that on 1.04?

Edited by Bose321

I’m running DSM 6.1.7 with Jun’s loader 1.02b DS3615xs without a problem on HP EliteDesk 8200, i5-2500, NIC Intel 82579LM.

When trying to boot with Jun’s 1.03b DS3615xs baremetal the usual loader screen shows up, but I can not find NAS in the network (with find.synology.com or Synology Assistent). Neither I can ping it.

Looks like network does not come up. New loader has same settings in grub like previous one.

1.03b loader boots in UEFI mode. I tried booting in Legacy mode, but withot success (black screen only with no text).

Any idea how to solve this? Is there a way to see some log where errors can be seen?

When I installed Synology 6.2 on my baremetal using 1.03a2 DS918+, I experienced failure of rebooting.

So I moved back to 6.1.7 using 1.02b DS916+.

Is the issue solved in the 1.04b?

System configuration:

CPU : i3-8100

M/B : Gigabyte B360N Wifi

NIC : 2 Intel NIC

On 10/22/2018 at 1:10 PM, ideasman69 said:

hell yeah! i've got another J3455-ITX board coming in a couple days and look forward to trying out your suggestions. thanks man

nope - even with all of @modboxx's advice over here, system still runs slow :(

i've got 3 different models of these boards (J3455-M, J3455B-ITX and J3455-ITX) but they all run slow with either of the 918+ boot images. So im not sure how you are the only one on here with one of these boards and no issues 😕

the activation.conf file doesn't exist with the latest boot loader and 6.2.1, whereas it did with the previous boot loader and 6.2. hardware transcoding in video station doesn't seem to work at all now? 

i have plex pass but it's not even worth touching that until it's working in video station. it'd be awesome if @jun could mention what type of motherboard his testing this stuff on and what his bios suggestions are. might help a lot of us!

Edited by ideasman69
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Mitja said:

I’m running DSM 6.1.7 with Jun’s loader 1.02b DS3615xs without a problem on HP EliteDesk 8200, i5-2500, 

Is there a way to see some log where errors can be seen?

You can use serial console.

EliteDesk has a serial port. Buy a USB serial cable and connect HP and another PC with that.

You can see some boot log and can use serial console using some serial terminal app like Putty.

I guess, if you disable serial port on BIOS, that might stop booting.

I've once experienced that on a VM without serial port.

52 minutes ago, ideasman69 said:

nope - even with all of @modboxx's advice over here, system still runs slow :(

i've got 3 different models of these boards (J3455-M, J3455B-ITX and J3455-ITX) but they all run slow with either of the 918+ boot images. So im not sure how you are the only one on here with one of these boards and no issues 😕

the activation.conf file doesn't exist with the latest boot loader and 6.2.1, whereas it did with the previous boot loader and 6.2. hardware transcoding in video station doesn't seem to work at all now

i have plex pass but it's not even worth touching that until it's working in video station. it'd be awesome if @jun could mention what type of motherboard his testing this stuff on and what his bios suggestions are. might help a lot of us!

I don't know how mine works, cause I've been waiting for the resync to finish, but it's going super slow...looks like 10days+ for 2*3TB 😮

22 часа назад, ziorufus сказал:

Is there any chance to have DSM 6.2 working on a hp N36L (AMD processor)?

I tried every version from 1.03b to 1.04b without luck. The last working version is 1.02b with DSM 6.1.

into bios off "c1e" bootloader only 1.03b 3615/17 yet...