XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

Hello,

I'm trying to do a clean install first time

I have the image file I updated the grub.cfg file and changed the VID and PID and Serial and added what I have as the mac address (new system board never used) it's a Asrock B360M Pro4

I did a Diskpart and cleaned the USB stick then I wrote the boot loader to it and placed it in the new system and started it up, it booted to grub and I selected the first option to run JUN's loader 1.03b for 3617xs 

I received the screen about after the screen stops updating you can go to find.synology.com which I did and found nothing, then I downloaded the Synology Assistant and ran that and still found nothing, so I must have missed a step or maybe the mother broad wont work with the loader

Any Ideas ?

Thanks .....

1 hour ago, Hostilian said:

Try Legacy Boot (not UEFI)

Try an add in NIC (Intel).

Try using the DS3615 loader.

so do i need to update the grub.cfg with the vid and pid I see some how tos do that and some don't  as for the UEFI I will see if I can change that or not but it did boot just could not find it using the website or the app to install the DSM ...

I will see how bad I can mess it up :)   ....

evolucja

I took the initiative for you to Google  "How to boot legacy mode ASRock  Q1900-ITX"  and found the info you need.

For emphasis, i defer to Hostilians answer   "Just change your Bios to Legacy not UEFI" this is correct.

I've uploaded an image of your bios with the first boot option being boot from Legacy, and the second boot option booting from UEFI. 

You will want to select the USB "im assuming" device or ANY device for that matter, that does NOT have the "UEFI" label in it like you see in this image i've attached.

In many cases nowadays, you will not find an option to completely change your bios to force legacy mode or at least the 200-300 motherboards i've came across in 2018

What you will find in newer boards is the option to choose Legacy OR UEFI within each boot option itself.

Very important

Also:

Disable C1E - in your bios its labeled "C-states" i believe look at second image below for this

disable Intel VTX if you can as well- 2nd image

in your bios you also should look for usb settings and enable the usb to be seen as "hard drive"

These will be optimal settings for your board to boot with XPE.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Screenshot_20180929-175804_YouTube Vanced.jpg

Edited by Captainfingerbang
  • Like 2

My hardware is j3455-itx, and dsm6.2 (ds918+) was successfully installed with 1.03a2 bootloder. During the process, I also encountered the problem that when i restarted the host after installation,  the host is missed.

I am preparing to test all functions today.

Note:

1.  legacy bios with USB bootloader and put in the first place, the hard disk uses ahci mode.

2. After the installation restarts, check if the bios boot is restored to uefi. This is my case but I don't know why. Then be patient and wait ,when the system startup, it may be very slow. when I didn't see any information on the screen and  I saw a black screen, I found the ip ip.

07C6D50C-1E86-40AA-83BF-A135363FDB2D.thumb.png.0ca663c16db39ef1b1e9ec58a2884923.png

1 hour ago, Captainfingerbang said:

do you see under "hard drive BBS priorities"? make sure NOTHING is selected in that. 

and look at my updated post.

if none of that helps change anything, then you need to go back and remake the USB drive, following directions as if you have never made an XPE boot drive before

I went from scratch and got it discovered once but wasn't working fully (GUI not accessiable etc.). I restarted and now I got the bootloop after the "Booting the kernel". Any more ideas? 

if it were me, i would just install 6.1 on UEFI. SInce that IS what i currently am on

Beggars cant be choosey!

a couple things to do before you do that:

make certain that C1E and vtx are disabled. 100%!

then i would boot the computer to the Boot menu (f8 for asus if i remember correct), where it gives you a few options to force boot to the source of your choosing.i.e usb

force boot, and also try "reinstall" option at Jun's boot screen

On 8/2/2018 at 11:29 PM, sliders said:

hello ,Thank you very much jun

Jun's Mod 1.03b - DS3617

Installation type:  HP Z210 Workstation  Intel Xeon E3-1280

we find no networks with SynologyAssistant

😞😟

Hello,

Thank you Jun,

I am using HP Z210 Workstation Intel Xeon E3-1245

Can't find networks with Synology Assistant too.

😅

More info:

- The workstation only booted with the USB in UEFI mode and went through but couldn't find the NAS.

- Legacy boot stopped right away with the blinking cursor.

- It works on 6.1 (1.02b)

Edited by neopet001

I tried to install a new VM, or upgrade the existing VM by replacing the 6.2 loader, both of them will stuck in the following screen.

v62Failed.thumb.png.e33e365dd81d5fd3dc0618ce695aa6e3.png

I have tried different options from this post,
1) set Boot Options to BIOS (actually there has no other choice in my VM setting)
2) modify the grub.cfg in bootloader, and change DiskIdxMap=0C to DiskIdxMap=0C00
3) Set the loader disk as IDE instead of SCSI

All failed.

I'm now running vSphere 6.5.0 on the server with 2 x E5-2660V2 on Intel W2600CR MB, will this be the problem of dual CPU?  It works fine in v6.1.7, just cannot boot in v6.2.

Any suggestion?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Super169

19 minutes ago, luchuma said:

@Super169

Oh, I have missed your post before.

It seems that I have used wrong disk type, it should be  SATA not IDE.

After comment the options in grub.cfg, and changing the disk setting to SATA as in your post, it seems OK now, and it allow me to migrate the existing disk.

Thanks a lot.