XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

System: HP microserver N54L.

I was on 6.1 and had to hit return on a keyboard to complete loading each time, so wanted to move to 6.2 in the hope that would solve the issue.

I installed 1.03b and synology assistant recognises it as migratable, but I can't connect to it! Very frustrating. It just times out. It has a 169 IP address, so is that a clue?

I don't get a chance to try to install 6.2. Any ideas anyone please?

Edited by blue max

On 8/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, dutchnas said:

My N40L has been upgraded to DSM 6.2 and went successful.

Everything is working, but when I try to use the web interface the NAS becomes unresponsive and I have to manually power off to get it working again.

Someone has a tip for me for fixing the web interface?

Nobody has some tips for me?

Hi, I hope my english is'nt too bad. 2nd language for me. Here I go.

I tried to boot on the image 1.03b from 2018-08-01 --> No bootable device found

Motherboard is Intel DQ35JO. It was previously set to UEFI with loader 10.2 and it worked well.

As per the recommendation for 1.03 I changed the setting to UEFI=Disable (so Legacy mode I assume). It does not find any boot device when trying to boot from USB drive. I tried the same USB drive on 2 other older PC with no UEFI and they boot OK.

I started checking for the problem. I found that Windows 10 report the 1st partition of the USB drive as "EFI System partition". Is that normal? I redownloaded Jun's 1.03 image and reflashed  just to make sure I did'nt mess up and it still appears as EFi system partition.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot for your time, it is very appreciated.

@jun Appreciate the hard work in this as well as your time and effort.  Are you able to create versions of the loader for other units?  Is the workaround similar between the 918, 15 and 17 units or is it different?  If its the same, are you able to produce a loader to emulate a RackStation RS2818RP+ ?  I've got a SM 16 bay chassis currently configured with only 12 bays connected and it would be pretty awesome to have access to all the bays, however I don't have the necessary skills to disect your work!

Cheers

Chris

7 hours ago, robzz said:

Hi, I hope my english is'nt too bad. 2nd language for me. Here I go.

I tried to boot on the image 1.03b from 2018-08-01 --> No bootable device found

Motherboard is Intel DQ35JO. It was previously set to UEFI with loader 10.2 and it worked well.

As per the recommendation for 1.03 I changed the setting to UEFI=Disable (so Legacy mode I assume). It does not find any boot device when trying to boot from USB drive. I tried the same USB drive on 2 other older PC with no UEFI and they boot OK.

I started checking for the problem. I found that Windows 10 report the 1st partition of the USB drive as "EFI System partition". Is that normal? I redownloaded Jun's 1.03 image and reflashed  just to make sure I did'nt mess up and it still appears as EFi system partition.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot for your time, it is very appreciated.

In Windows You can use diskpart an clean up the usb drive and erase any efi partition. Please run "cmd" as administrator, type diskpart.

Use "list disk" to identify the drive, then select the disk with "sel disk #" (# for number of disk, !! be very carefull not to choose wrong drive !!),

now type "clean" (all data will be purged). You can use "create partition primary" to create a blank partition. Now Win32DiskImager should make a bootable usb drive without efi.

good luck! 

On 8/19/2018 at 11:06 AM, uccoffee said:

tried 3617  6.2 with my N40L , works but somehow cannot create new RAID volume or JBOD , migrate from old one seems ok 

Hi, have you did some tweaking to install into N40L? some bios settings or similar, i wasn't able to fresh install into N40L 
Many thanks 

HP Microserver Gen8, ESXi 6.7 here.

I already have DSM 6.1 latest installed in a VM, working just fine. Did not have the guts to migrate it to 6.2 so I decided to first install 6.2 fresh in a new VM. I have been struggling with it for the past 4 days, to no avail, installed kept failing with "corrupt file, error 13" or whatever it was. I even enabled serial via telnet to see what was happening and found out that there was no available partition to install to... or at least this is what it seemed like. So, this is how I made it work:

1. Jun's 1.03b IMG file (with modified grub.conf for serial number and network MAC - this was not even necessary, I could have changed the MAC in VM before starting it, but still...) set up as VMDK running on SATA 0.0, made sure in BIOS that this is the first boot option.

2. A new VMDK created on the SCSI controller (if there is no SCSI disk the DSM installer complains that there is no disk to install to).

3. A third disk, VMDK created on the SATA controller, 0.1. This is used by the DSM installer somehow, I have no idea why and how. Disk at point 2 above is actually used to create md0 and md1 for installing DSM on, for storage pool as well... very odd.

I hope this helps others. Meanwhile I will do some more experiments.

Edited by sco

Hello. I have a problem with upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2.

I have working 6.1 DSM on bare metal PC.

Now I build new USB stick with 1.03b loader using proper VID/PID, serial and MAC of physical NIC.

Grub is starting but nothing else, xpenology don't acquiring IP from DHCP.

I did everything the same as for 1.02b, but without success.

How is the proper way to upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2?

38 minutes ago, Pagi said:

Now I build new USB stick with 1.03b loader using proper VID/PID, serial and MAC of physical NIC.

In order for people to assist you please state what hardware you're using. Also you might want to try 6.2 with a spare HDD just to make sure that your hardware is compatible.

2 hours ago, sco said:

HP Microserver Gen8, ESXi 6.7 here.

I already have DSM 6.1 latest installed in a VM, working just fine. Did not have the guts to migrate it to 6.2 so I decided to first install 6.2 fresh in a new VM. I have been struggling with it for the past 4 days, to no avail, installed kept failing with "corrupt file, error 13" or whatever it was. I even enabled serial via telnet to see what was happening and found out that there was no available partition to install to... or at least this is what it seemed like. So, this is how I made it work:

1. Jun's 1.03b IMG file (with modified grub.conf for serial number and network MAC - this was not even necessary, I could have changed the MAC in VM before starting it, but still...) set up as VMDK running on SATA 0.0, made sure in BIOS that this is the first boot option.

2. A new VMDK created on the SCSI controller (if there is no SCSI disk the DSM installer complains that there is no disk to install to).

3. A third disk, VMDK created on the SATA controller, 0.1. This is used by the DSM installer somehow, I have no idea why and how. Disk at point 2 above is actually used to create md0 and md1 for installing DSM on, for storage pool as well... very odd.

I hope this helps others. Meanwhile I will do some more experiments.

I tried to recreate the VM, no luck, it fails again with the same setup. Previously though, I managed to login via serial and played around with some scripts, but I doubt that did anything good... will keep trying and update if I manage to reproduce the working scenario.

37 minutes ago, luchuma said:

Set loader sata 0.0
Add New sata controler
Add vm disks sata  1.0 1.1 1.2 etc

Wysłane z mojego SM-G930F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Nice one.... this should be stickied somewhere, at least in some ESXi section :)

What I did earlier, when trying to fix something to make this work, was that I removed the CD/DVD drive, which was sitting on SATA 0.0, so next when I re-added the loader as a VMDK, it landed on SATA 0.0. What I did after that had no consequence it seems. So the trick is to always have the loader VMDK on SATA 0.0, if you do not run this via USB stick (which in my env is not possible I think - I even tried to pass the IMG file via iLO as a USB stick to the VM, no luck, it didn't even boot).

Edited by sco

В ‎19‎.‎08‎.‎2018 в 00:35, ygor сказал:

you should add     disable_mtrr_trim     to the grub.cfg

Example: set common_args_3615='disable_mtrr_trim syno_hdd_pow ......

it is know issue, also required on G7 (amd)

This works well for me.
Thank you so much!!!

3 hours ago, sco said:

Nice one.... this should be stickied somewhere, at least in some ESXi section :)

What I did earlier, when trying to fix something to make this work, was that I removed the CD/DVD drive, which was sitting on SATA 0.0, so next when I re-added the loader as a VMDK, it landed on SATA 0.0. What I did after that had no consequence it seems. So the trick is to always have the loader VMDK on SATA 0.0, if you do not run this via USB stick (which in my env is not possible I think - I even tried to pass the IMG file via iLO as a USB stick to the VM, no luck, it didn't even boot).

i wrote that in tutorial section

5 hours ago, Pagi said:

4 hours ago, Dfds said:

In order for people to assist you please state what hardware you're using. Also you might want to try 6.2 with a spare HDD just to make sure that your hardware is compatible.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using HP Compaq Elite 8300 with INTEL Core i3-4130, 8GB RAM and 5x 750GB SATA disks.

Do i try perform the upgrade in proper way? Starting from upgrade jun's loader to 1.03b and trying to boot "old" DSM?