XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

15 hours ago, Saoclyph said:

could you edit my post ID 124 of this thread, to change "/.xpenology" to "/.xpenoboot" on the "additional comments" line and the last paragraph. I misspelled the folder name, but it won't let me edit it myself. 

I have edited your post and all quotes of your post. Also please note that update reports go in the Critical Update forum. You are welcome to do so over there.

On 8/1/2018 at 3:34 PM, Dfds said:

@sunshine This is still beta at present, my advice would be to try this on a separate HDD to ensure that your system will run ok before trying it on your live system.

Test on an empty spare hard drive was succesfull with hardware in signature!

Now how should I upgrade by using the normal system without loosing personal data and config?

2 minutes ago, Cr4z33 said:

Now how should I upgrade by using the normal system without loosing personal data and config?

Only you can decide that. If the test was successful everything should be fine, however there is always a risk that something can go wrong when performing an upgrade & it is advisable to have a backup of any data that you aren't willing to risk loosing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dfds said:

Only you can decide that. If the test was successful everything should be fine, however there is always a risk that something can go wrong when performing an upgrade & it is advisable to have a backup of any data that you aren't willing to risk loosing.

OK, but after doing the backups what would be the correct step then?

Shall I first change the loader and upgrade or upgrade, shutdown and restart with the new loader?

On 8/9/2018 at 10:10 AM, john_matrix said:

Hello,

Could you please share the .conf file of your VM? as I would like to create a DSM 6.2 VM on my Poxmox infrastructure?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi.

Here's mine which works fine for me:

args: -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,multifunction=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa -drive file=/mnt/pve/templates/template/qemu/synoboot-test.qcow2,format=qcow2,if=none,id=drive-usb-disk2,cache=writeback -device usb-storage,bus=usb.0,port=2,drive=drive-usb-disk2,id=usb-disk2,bootindex=1,removable=off -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay -no-hpet -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s3=1 -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s4=1 -realtime mlock=off -machine pc-i440fx-2.9,accel=kvm,usb=off,vmport=off,dump-guest-core=off -cpu kvm64,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi
boot: nc
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 2
cpu: kvm64
memory: 1024
name: test
net0: e1000=A6:F0:EF:B7:91:45,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: l26
sata0: local-lvm:vm-114-disk-1,size=10G
smbios1: uuid=2dce823b-ffd0-44e5-8914-57feab9873a1
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
vcpus: 2
vga: qxl

Of course, you have to change the path to your synoboot image file. I use the qcow2 format, just as it's a bit smaller. Otherwise you can use the synoboot.img file directly. Just rename the suffix to '.raw' as already mentioned.

I currently run 6 different virtual xpenology machines on just one tiny NUC (with 16GB memory) in a Proxmox cluster. The harddrives are mounted indirectly via iSCSI with the help of Proxmox' storage manager. No RAID inside the machines. RAID is already done on the iSCSI target side. 

I'm totally happy with this setup. Far more better than running XPenology on baremetal, like my old ReadyNAS.

xpenology.png

On 8/9/2018 at 10:01 AM, hoidoi said:

I had the same issue with an Broadcom NIC. I changed the boot type from UEFI to Legacy and activated CSM. After this, the NAS was visible. My HP Gen10 Microserver runs Loader 1.03b and DS3617xs.

@hoidoi  Thanks for the hint. I run already legacy/BIOS boot and I hve no CSM boot option, only BIOS or UEFI and BIOS is selected. So it might be the NIC or ???

DS918 images boots but it's unstable and not usable.

I installed DSM 6.2 - 23739 with Jun's 1.03b DS3617xs on an ASRock Rack D1520-D4i with LSI 9211-8i IT.

My box with DSM 6.1 - 15284 Update 2 had disk 1 of 6 in Raid 6 failing. Restore to Hot Spare failed. After power cycling, disk 1 was good, but disk 2-5 where critical. Reinstalling DSM 6.1 with Jun's 1.02b DS3617xs gave me repeatedly the option to migrate, but without success. Odd.

DSM 6.2 - 23739 with Jun's 1.03b DS3617xs did the trick, came up with disks 1-5. Took two days to check the raid, add disk 6 and Hot Spare, reconnect to rsync backup on a LaCie 5Big NAS Pro and reindexing.

All fine for now and as a bonus, Universal Search finally works reliably with Spotlight. Sweet.

Thanks Jun.

3 hours ago, Cr4z33 said:

I was a little paranoid so I took extra steps after I confirmed 6.2 was working on a spare drive.  I actually tried to mimic my current install on the spare drive and did a test migration.  That went well so I went ahead with my real disks.

I installed DSM 6.2 - 23739 with Jun's DS3615xs on an HP ML110 G6,

all works fine, except i got no screen display on vga output... it seems ML110 want's me to get blackout.

next I'll try to import my 3 WD 2To RE4 raid from an 5.2 xpenology, or i'll rebuilt it to have BTRFS file system.

Edited by meninred

和ESXI虚拟机的硬件设置没有任何关系。

在局域网打开dhcp服务器,然后再打开群晖虚拟机。在自己电脑的cmd里面输入arp -a 可以看到一个mac为00:11开头的,这个ip就是nas的ip,直接用网页访问这个ip。

而且很神奇的是,你现在可以用群晖助手来找到设备了。

Edited by xuezhou

Hi,

I experience one small problem.

I'm on ESXi6.5 with synoboot as SATA0:0 and a virtualdisk as SCSI0:0

The system bootup and seems to work fine.

The only problem is that I don't have a drive 1, and the virtual disk shows as drive 2.

BTW, the synoboot disk isn't shown.

I've tried with both 3615 and 3617.

Anybody experiencing that ? and solved that ?

Thanks,

TitiD

cap.png

Edited by tdutrieux

- Hardware: HP Microserver Gen8, Intel i5-3470T. 16GB RAM, Fujitsu D2607 (crossflashed to LSI 2008 HBA), HPE ESXI 6.7.0

- VM1 (Testsystem for updates, only ESXI disks)

- Outcome of the update: SUCCESFUL (after changing from IDE to SATA of the disks)

- DSM version prior update: 6.1.7 Update 2 with Jun's loader v1.02b

- Loader version and model: Jun's Loader v1.03b - DS3615

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- VM2 (4 disks over LSI 2008 pci pass-through, no esxi disk)

- Update: UNSUCCESSFUL

- New installation: UNSUCCESSFUL / 2nd time SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: 6.1.7 Update 2 with Jun's loader v1.02b with extra.lzma

- Loader version and model: Jun's Loader v1.03b - DS3615

- Using custom extra.lzma: YES (integrated mpt2sas and e1000e from Test-VM with DSM6.2-23739 update 2)

- Additional info: after update failed, trying to do a fresh installation over old 6.1.7, which failed also with Error 13, I freshly installed 6.1.7 again, then added a esxi disk and tried to do a fresh installation of 6.2. This time it worked. All disks are there. Don't know what the problem with old 6.1.7 installation was.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:54 PM, chipped said:

Had some issues, booted up and I started up the migration using 1.03b and 3617, however after it says Installation Completing it will reboot and I can’t get back into it.

I can see it’s boots up and there is HDD activity, I can ping it however I can’t login with SSH or to the web browser.

Any ideas?

Specs are:

Motherboard - H77-D3H-MVP
CPU - i5 3450
Loader - 1.03b DS3617xs
Baremetal - Yes
SATA - Onboard Intel and a Marvell based 4 port SATA card.

The above system is now working.

Previously on DSM 6.1 my network settings were set to MTU 9k (9000) on a PCIe network adaptor, when I migrated the system it must have been applying these settings to my onboard network card which doesn't support them.

After I disabled it the system came up perfectly.

Probably not going to happen to anyone else but just something to look out for.

Edited by chipped

Many thanks to Jun for this loader and all your hard work and also the developers, admins and everybody that make this community awesome.
I have just used this loader to upgrade my bare metal HP Gen 8 Microserver (i3-3240 CPU) 

Happy to report  that I did  Migration from DS3617xs Ver.6.1.7-15284 to DS3617xs Ver.6.2-23739 without any problem. Data and settings intact. 

😀

DSM6.2.PNG

DSM6.2._1.PNG

• Like 1

Outcome of the update: PARTIALLY SUCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: none - clean install on previously used with DSM6.1/1.02B loader HW (all disks and original startup USB drive replaced with spare HW)

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615XS

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL:

- Asus P7H55/USB3 (H55 Express chipset)

- Intel Core i3 550 (Clarkdale)

- 8GB RAM (DDR3 1333)

- 1x on board Realtek 8112L

- 2x Intel Gigabit Pro/1000 CT PCIe cards

- HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL (flashed to JBOD mode)

- Additional comments:

- REBOOT: OK

- RocketRAID not working: no disks visible in DSM:

- not workng natively

- Tried with extra.lzma from 918+ (as advised in one of previous post): system starts but then reboots itself 30 seconds after loader screen visible

- Tried with extra.lzma for 3517 1.02b (one working on original setup for RocketRAID): system does not load any network drivers, no connection available to check RocketRAID

Learnings:

- Despite very old architecture of i3 550 it seems to work properly. I made some test installing several packages (DS Video, Mail Server Plus, Mail Plus, Download Station, etc) and seems to be OK (as far as I can test within 2 hours).

- lack of support for Marvel HDD controller - no option to supplement as no dedicated extra.lzma exisit yet for 1.03b/DSM 6.2x and other packages do not work properly.

- overall very pleased, given the old HW it was tested on! Good work! Now only waiting for additional HW support to migrate it to productioion.

7 hours ago, luchuma said:

drive 1 is the sata loader

Nope !

I've another VM with DSM6.1 and LSI 9008-IT as PCI passthrough and 5 HDD.

If I connect the LSI to the DSM6.2 VM, one HDD takes drive 1.

So anybody else experiencing the same issue ?

Thanks,

TitiD

Edited by tdutrieux