XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

Hi everyone, 

After a sad experience by updating my DSM to 6.2 when no loaders are ready to support, where i lose 3To with lots of datas, i don't know if i can upgrade now with the good launcher.

I'm under DSM 6.1.7-15284 and my Syno is a VM on esxi 6.5, here is my config.

image.thumb.png.46e98453ccf6d2ec19da38c008c61c1b.png

I would try to updgrade by changing the loader and editing the grub but i would like to be sure i won't lose anything

image.thumb.png.3bf07e0516efc41e3f371a99a43c5adb.png

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, pigr8 said:

Is it possible to have the value for SasIdxMap= for -1 disk? 

Thanks Jun :)

-1 should be 0xffffffff

https://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html (change to signed 32-bit, don't need the "0x" prefix on the calculator, but do use it in the .cfg)

Edited by autohintbot

1 hour ago, autohintbot said:

-1 should be 0xffffffff

https://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html (change to signed 32-bit, don't need the "0x" prefix on the calculator, but do use it in the .cfg)

i'm trying to do something similar using a vmdk loader and a vmdk virtual drive, loader is on sata controller 0 and drive on sata controller 1, booting and installing is fine but in dsm the first disk is on port 2 (/dev/sdb), the loader 50mb drive is not showing (as intended) but i wanted the first drive be /dev/sda.

that's just for testing, since my production vm has a 6 port sata controller in passthrough and i always had this problem, resolved by moving the loader on a usb drive and boot from there, so that the physical disks are sda->f.. using the loader with the vmdk methon puts my drives in sdb->g.

any advice?

3 hours ago, angel038 said:

Hi everyone, 

After a sad experience by updating my DSM to 6.2 when no loaders are ready to support, where i lose 3To with lots of datas, i don't know if i can upgrade now with the good launcher.

I'm under DSM 6.1.7-15284 and my Syno is a VM on esxi 6.5, here is my config.

image.thumb.png.46e98453ccf6d2ec19da38c008c61c1b.png

I would try to updgrade by changing the loader and editing the grub but i would like to be sure i won't lose anything

image.thumb.png.3bf07e0516efc41e3f371a99a43c5adb.png

Thanks for your help!

Setup another DSM instance with 6.2. If it runs just fine, you should be good to go and be able to migrate. Worked for me.

Obviously it's always a good thing to have a backup ;)

1 hour ago, pigr8 said:

i'm trying to do something similar using a vmdk loader and a vmdk virtual drive, loader is on sata controller 0 and drive on sata controller 1, booting and installing is fine but in dsm the first disk is on port 2 (/dev/sdb), the loader 50mb drive is not showing (as intended) but i wanted the first drive be /dev/sda.

that's just for testing, since my production vm has a 6 port sata controller in passthrough and i always had this problem, resolved by moving the loader on a usb drive and boot from there, so that the physical disks are sda->f.. using the loader with the vmdk methon puts my drives in sdb->g.

any advice?

Change DiskIdxMap=0C to DiskIdxMap=0C00 in grub.cfg inside sata_args.  That's the starting disk number for each controller, in hex pairs.  The 0C is an offset of 12, which is what pushes the boot drive to Disk 13 (so doesn't show up in the GUI with default internalportcfg in synoinfo.conf).  Adding the 00 means the second controller will start numbering at 0 instead of default (so /dev/sda).

I verified it here real quick--this was Disk 2 before the change:

893265536_ScreenShot2018-08-05at1_50_06PM.png.738fee0a3a33e4fbabc5df9423313dc7.png

261894844_ScreenShot2018-08-05at1_50_34PM.png.e7efabd147c266be3eb005c6c26a1e57.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HP MicroServer Gen8 with E3 1260L works fine. Did a migration from DSM 6.1 DS3617 to 6.2 DS3617.

HP Microserver Gen7 N54L works fine. Did a migration from DSM 6.1 DS3617 to 6.2 DS3617.

Thanks Jun for all your hard work and time making this update possiable and for the updates in the past.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2018 at 1:34 AM, AndreyATGB said:

The vmdk just loads the img file. It runs in a VM for me in bios mode.

Thanks for the information.

I have used the old vmdk with 1.03b image, and it will boot to the screen as your first post, and it cannot be detected.  But I have already set the Boot Options to BIOS.

Maybe I will try to copy one the vmdk of my DSM 6.1 machine for testing again.

I'd like to confirm the step for upgrade, should it be upgraded to 6.2 then replace the img file, or replace the img file at 6.1 then upgrade to 6.2?

Thanks a lot.

22 hours ago, QuickSwitch said:

OK So....

- Outcome of the installation / update Successful for DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3617xs

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: Baremetal - Intel Core I7 Bloomfield, Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME Motherboard.

- Additional comments: Had Baremetal AMD running DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 2 - Working Fine.

So I have just rebuilt my main PC and the system above is the result of leftovers and PSU from the AMD system.

I the Intel DSM6.2 is running as I type this and is scrubing some test hard drives, but the only way to get the system to boot with 5 hard drives was to boot with only 2 or 1 installed, still random results.

Then hot plug the additional drives. If I try to boot the system with more than 2 - 3 drives, Jun's boot loader would start but then start to read the HDD's then reset the machine.

Even in the beginning getting the latest DSM version installed resulted in 2 or 3 reboots b4 system was up and I could login.

Once I get past the point of random rebooting all is well so far and DSM system's work as they should.

Any Ideas on this would be helpful.

Tried so far....

Loaders, v1.03b (DS3615xs, DS3617xs) v1.02b ( DS3617xs )

Just looked and there are logs of System booted up from an improper shutdown. In DSM

Looks like it was the PSU I had in the old system, Swapped out old one for a basic but more powerful spare I had around and all is stable. Reboots are fine.

Thanks Jun for the hard work that you do. QuickSwitch.

Tkank you very much Jun!!!

Work perfectly in virtualization environnement with virtual box

If you want try  i update ova with good setup on mac address, you just need add sata hard drive and select your network for the bridge :)

https://mega.nz/#!Q2gDTbJa!DxJFfzkDnuJ8PZe_zagn86xra6ziXIgLZgrG3kz42PE

enjoy!

Motherboard - ASRock E3C226D2I

CPU - Xeon E3-1285L v3

Loader - 1.03b DS3615xs & DS3615xs

Baremetal - Yes

SATA - onboard Intel C226

Network - onboard 2 x Intel i210

Additional Comments - Synology Assitant cannot find NAS, I find it on old IP:5000, all is good, but the rw speed is wery slow:

Average (W): 18,20 MB/sec
Average (R): 16,51 MB/sec

I think, that is no drivers for SATA Intel C226.

Back to 6.1.7. 😫

16 hours ago, autohintbot said:

Change DiskIdxMap=0C to DiskIdxMap=0C00 in grub.cfg inside sata_args.  That's the starting disk number for each controller, in hex pairs.  The 0C is an offset of 12, which is what pushes the boot drive to Disk 13 (so doesn't show up in the GUI with default internalportcfg in synoinfo.conf).  Adding the 00 means the second controller will start numbering at 0 instead of default (so /dev/sda).

I verified it here real quick--this was Disk 2 before the change:

893265536_ScreenShot2018-08-05at1_50_06PM.png.738fee0a3a33e4fbabc5df9423313dc7.png

261894844_ScreenShot2018-08-05at1_50_34PM.png.e7efabd147c266be3eb005c6c26a1e57.png

That worked perfectly, tested :)

Thank you so much!!

Screenshot from 2018-08-06 15-38-51.png

Screenshot from 2018-08-06 15-39-33.png

Edited by pigr8

Successfully updated from 6.1 to 6.2 (DS3615xs)

ESXi 6.5u2 on HP MicroServer Gen8, Xeon 1220L v2. HDDs are passed to VM as RMD.

There were two important changes in the VM settings to run with 1.03b:

1. Change EFI to BIOS to enable LAN.

2. Move HDDs from virtual SATA to virtual SCSI as Synology installer was not able to find disks on SATA.

@extenue, @Lennartt, @wenlez, @pateretou, @sashxp, @enzo, @dodo-dk

- Outcome of the update: SUCCESSFUL 

- DSM version prior update: 6.1.7 Update 2 with Jun's loader v1.02b

- Loader version and model: Jun's Loader v1.03b - DS3617

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: VM Proxmox 5.2.6 - Xeon D-1537 (need to pass kvm64 cpu type), passthrough LSI SAS2116 with 5 x WD RED 3TB Raid5, 2 x WD RED 4TB Raid1 & 2 x Intel DC S3700 200GB Raid1

- Additional comments : SeaBIOS, loader on sata and ESXi boot line. Update to U2 ok. Had to replace/delete remnant files from older loaders in /etc/rc.*, /.xpenoboot (see last paragraph below).

Using the usb method, I got a "mount failed" as others on Proxmox, but it was successful when using a sata image disk:

• rename the loader with a .raw instead of .img and place it in the VM images folder /var/lib/vz/images/100/ (Proxmox parser does not understand .img)
  • add a sata0 disk in the vm .conf (/etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf)  : 
sata0: local:100/synoboot_ds3617_v1.03b.raw,size=52429K
  • choose sata0 in Option/Boot Order in the GUI
  • at start in the GUI console, choose the ESXi boot line

My vm ID is 100, replace it with yours.

I also had to choose the kvm64 cpu type.

Révélation

It easy to change the loader grub.cfg by mounting the loader image:

cd /var/lib/vz/images/100/
mkdir synoboot_mount
mount -o loop,rw,offset=$((2048*512)) synoboot_ds3617_v1.03b.raw synoboot_mount
vi synoboot_mount/grub/grub.cfg
# unmount it after editing
umount /var/lib/vz/images/100/synoboot_mount

A serial port is also a good thing to have for debug. You can access the serial console with the following line (type Ctrl-O to exit): 

socat UNIX-CONNECT:/var/run/qemu-server/100.serial0 STDIO,raw,echo=0,escape=0x0f

The serial port was very needed in my case.

After I first updated from 6.1 to 6.2, the VM was starting well (docker and ssh were Ok)  but I was not able to logging into DSM, and after ~5 mins from boot, everything was shutting down and I was losing network (as @JBark). I thought it had completely shutdown. But using the serial port, I saw that it just killed everything Synology related even the network config.

With a fresh VM, it was working well, so tried to find differences between the DSM filesystems.

I found that a lot of /etc/rc.* files where referencing old binaries that do not exist anymore so I replaced all the /etc/rc.* files by the ones from the fresh installation. When rebooting, it was still closing down after 5 mins, but I think it was needed in combination with the following removals.

I also saw several /etc/*.sh scripts, and a /.xpenology folder, that were not there in the fresh installation.

After deleting them, and cleaning a little the /etc/synoinfo.conf file (removed support_syno_hybrid_raid option, and some other options, not sure if it had an effect), everything was working great again!

@jun Thanks for the loader!

Edited by Polanskiman
Changed .xpenology to .xpenoboot in the Additional comments line

I have tried to install on a barbone/HW box with an Appolo Lake N4200 with a built in Realtek PCIe Gigabit Family NIC with the HW ID's (from Windows) PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_012310EC&REV_07 which I guess its a Realtek RTL8168/8111 (or RTL8169?). Maybe the network adapter is not known/found?

I used the V1.03b  bootimage for DS3617xs and the devices is not found.

I'll try to use the bootimage for the DS918+ with the only availble version 1.03a2 and hope it works with that model.

Does anybody know if we'll also get an update/newer version  for the DS918+ like 1.03b)?

How can I debug output without a serial port at the install host and the remote host? Is there a USB to Serial to USB cable available (USB on both ends or two cables with USB to Serial and a adapter in between how are you doing it)