XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

Thanks Jun.

Can i restart my running 3615xs system (look at my signature) with your new Loader at another USB Stick ? The current usb Stick i will pull out. Will be my Datas (Raid 1) and all Packages and DSM adjustments be there again or must i restore all these datas ? 

Sorry for my stupid questions, but what is the best and safiest way for me to upgrade my System ?

Edited by Guest

33 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Thanks Jun.

Can i restart my running 3615xs system (look at my signature) with your new Loader at another USB Stick ? The current usb Stick i will pull out. Will be my Datas (Raid 1) and all Packages and DSM adjustments be there again or must i restore all these datas ? 

Sorry for my stupid questions, but what is the best and safiest way for me to upgrade my System ?

@sunshine This is still beta at present, my advice would be to try this on a separate HDD to ensure that your system will run ok before trying it on your live system.

31 minutes ago, Dfds said:

@sunshine This is still beta at present, my advice would be to try this on a separate HDD to ensure that your system will run ok before trying it on your live system.

Thanks for your advice @Dfds

No problem by Barebone Test Migration (fresh Install) from DS3617xs Ver.6.1.7-15284/2 to DS3617xs Ver.6.2-23739/2

Hardware List:
Mainboard: Supermicro X8DTL-3F

Chipset: Intel® 5500 (Tylersburg)

CPU: 2 Intel Xeon X5690

Ethernet: 2 Intel 82574L Gigabit

Storage: LSI 1068E:       6x WD Red 6TB
                Intel ICH10R:  4x WD Red 10TB  

Memory: 64 GB ECC Registered

Everything works fine. Network (Bond MTU 4000), iScsi Manager is great, VMM (new install and load "old Machines).   

.... and again a big "Thank you" for your great Work

Xeon E3-1270v3, 4 cores, 3.5 GHz base, 3.9 GHz burst, no graphics, Haswell, Q2/2013

On a Dell T1700 with 4 GB Of ram (Test Machine)

Loader: 1.03b

Happy to report Migrated with No problem Barebone  Migration from DS3617xs Ver.6.1.7-15284/2 to DS3617xs Ver.6.2-23739/2

Plex is working great also!

Great job Jun

Thanks

@jun

No luck for me, tried both loaders ds3615 and ds3617. Even with serial console there is nothing past grub selection screen. Both previous versions (6.1) are working fine.

Hardware: MSI N3150I Eco (Intel Celeron N3150, with two SATAIII ports), 4Gb RAM, 3Tb HDD WD Green.

Also tried loader for ds918+ but there is KP after installation because board has only two SATA ports (syno_ahci_disk_led_enable error).

Does the Haswell-or-later requirement still apply here?  I am unable to get anything past the very first boot message (nothing shows up on network, no activity on serial port past the boot menu and initial message).

583365020_ScreenShot2018-08-01at4_00_50PM.thumb.png.ce06ae00991dff8f1d7c46cdf9fa86e9.png

Host:

ESXi 6.5.0 Update 2 (Build 8294253)

2x Xeon E5-2670 on Intel S2600CP motherboard

VM:

Started by copying my working 6.1.x DSM setup, changing MAC address in VM config and synoboot.img.  Existing VM was hardware version 12.

Tried a few other ESXi starting points from here on the forums, upgrading to VM hardware version 13, etc.  Same result across the board, both for 3615 and 3617 loaders.

Really hoping a Sandy Bridge-compatible boot loader happens for DSM 6.2!  I have a bunch of that hardware here in the house.  Actually have some spare hosts--I'll try a bare metal test when I get a few extra minutes.

6 hours ago, autohintbot said:

Does the Haswell-or-later requirement still apply here?  I am unable to get anything past the very first boot message (nothing shows up on network, no activity on serial port past the boot menu and initial message).

Amending this post:  Turns out you just need to change Boot Options -> Firmware from EFI to BIOS.

I tried this earlier, but didn't pay enough attention to realize it just wasn't booting at all.  When you change firmware in ESXi you'll get a default boot order, which is very likely wrong.  Easiest fix is to force a BIOS setup on next boot in the same config menu, or be quick on the keyboard and mash ESC to get into the VM's virtual BIOS setup to change boot order (probably SATA:0, depending on how you have the VM configured).

My DSM 6.1 VMs are all EFI, which fails with the new loader.  I'll try an upgrade tomorrow on real disks and report back.

1 hour ago, hoppler said:

HP MicroServer Gen8 with E3 1260L works fine. Did a migration from DSM 6.1 DS3615 to 6.2 DS3617

Bare Metal or Virtualized? What settings did you used? I tried both the images (3615 and 3617) converted in VMDK or mounted directly as .img but i am stuck at the find.synology.com with no network detected (on ESXi 6.7).

9 minutes ago, simoareva said:

Bare Metal or Virtualized? What settings did you used? I tried both the images (3615 and 3617) converted in VMDK or mounted directly as .img but i am stuck at the find.synology.com with no network detected (on ESXi 6.7).

try set target os as Windows7 x64 ,BIOS mode legacy, and disk mode set to SATA

Edited by huxim