XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

29 minutes ago, Dfds said:

@Niels_Jthe gen8 will happily run DSM 6.2.3 with jun’s 1.03b loader or if you want to try DSM 7 you can build a loader using redpill tinycore, see the thread in the developer discussion section.

Thank you for the info!
The 6.2.3 is the one in the first post in this thread, correct?
And now for the absolute 100% noob question:  Do I just place the img-file on the USB stick, or do I need to edit something in the file and compile it with ... etc ? If so, where might I find the programs for it?

4 hours ago, Niels_J said:

Thank you for the info!
The 6.2.3 is the one in the first post in this thread, correct?
And now for the absolute 100% noob question:  Do I just place the img-file on the USB stick, or do I need to edit something in the file and compile it with ... etc ? If so, where might I find the programs for it?

For Jun's Loader yes, you need to open one of the partitions and edit the grub file with the appropriate S/N and Mac Address.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I had to reboot my machine, wondering that the GUI doesn't show up. Connected a monitor to the server and found a GRUB warning, saying: error incompatible license entering rescue mode....

Has anyone an idea what this means and how to get my server booting again?

Thanks for any helpful advice 

My Server:

HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9

Modellname DS3617xs

Prozessor: INTEL Xeon D-1527

Prozessor-Taktrate

3.3 GHz

RAM 8192 MB

NIC: Intel-Ethernet I219-LM

DSM-Version: DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3

1 hour ago, F.K. said:

Hi folks,

I had to reboot my machine, wondering that the GUI doesn't show up. Connected a monitor to the server and found a GRUB warning, saying: error incompatible license entering rescue mode....

Has anyone an idea what this means and how to get my server booting again?

Thanks for any helpful advice 

My Server:

HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9

Modellname DS3617xs

Prozessor: INTEL Xeon D-1527

Prozessor-Taktrate

3.3 GHz

RAM 8192 MB

NIC: Intel-Ethernet I219-LM

DSM-Version: DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3

you coud try to rebuild the loader on a new usb flash drive

that the vanilla loader edit grub.cfg to mach the usb vid/pid of the new  usb flash drive

copy zImage, rd.gz and extra.lzma from old usb to the new one (all files on 2nd partiton)

the try if the system boot again (if that work you can transfer SN and nic's mac from the olf grub.cfg to the new one)

that way you dont change anything to what it is now, ols usb and system would still be the same if this attempt is a no good

• Like 1

Hi 

thanks for your answer. I have simply recorded the USB bootstick with a new image. I did this about 4 years ago the last time - and I had a lot of jitters. But in fact it was much easier and faster under macOS than I feared.
Now everything works again and my Synology version is finally on DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 :-)

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I want to create a duplicate copy of my usb flash that has the jun”s loader on it.. in the past my usb drive died and I had to create a new one but I guess perhaps due to the vid/pid being different, It started my xpenology box as being new and I had do sort of a recover and restore data type of thing etc…

if I create a copy of my current usb drive, should I use its vid/pid of the original drive in the cfg file on the new drive to prevent the loader from initializing the xpenology box if I ever have to swap out the usb loader flash drive?

• 1 month later...
  • flyride unfeatured and featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

To have correct MAC address for NIC you need to change it in /grub/grub.cfg file before booting NAS but if you forgot, there is still a chance to do it (and change serial number as well). To do so we need to change grub.cfg file on internal flash (see above).

/dev/synoboot do not show in mount nor fdisk -l but still if you run 

fdisk -l /dev/synoboot 

you should see:

Disk /dev/synoboot: 119.5 MiB, 125304832 bytes, 244736 sectors <- (size depends of usb drive used, here it is internal flash of Netgear ReadyNas Pro2)
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: AFB38D11-BCEA-4409-B348-F4FEEE602114
Device         Start    End Sectors Size Type
/dev/synoboot1  2048  32767   30720  15M EFI System
/dev/synoboot2 32768  94207   61440  30M Linux filesystem
/dev/synoboot3 94208 102366    8159   4M BIOS boot

Create folder somewhere (/) and mount first partition from above 

mount -o loop,offset=1048576 /dev/synoboot /temp

where offset is sector size(512) multiplied by start sector of 1st partition(2048). 

Now you should have access to grub.cfg in grub folder.

Change mac1 and mac2 to correct hardware addresses.
After writing to file you can unmount /dev/synoboot and reboot to check if changes applied correctly.

Edited by tomkoval
corrections

On 6/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, flyride said:

1.04b loader is UEFI bootable. The only loader that does not support UEFI is 1.03b (BIOS or CSM required).

Curious... I tried today to create a Sandisk AND PNY USB drive with Rufus, using tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.8.0.0.img, for a Dell 9020, set to UEFI booting by default. Manually doing F12 select UEFI Boot target, I get this error.  If I F12 to Legacy Boot of the same USB, it boots up perfectly.  Am I missing something?

Thanks

IMG_8693.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

On 6/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, flyride said:

1.04b loader is UEFI bootable. The only loader that does not support UEFI is 1.03b (BIOS or CSM required).

Curious... I tried today to create a Sandisk AND PNY USB drive with Rufus, using tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.8.0.0.img, for a Dell 9020, set to UEFI booting by default. Manually doing F12 select UEFI Boot target, I get this error.  If I F12 to Legacy Boot of the same USB, it boots up perfectly.  Am I missing something?

Thanks

Unsure. I have TInycore running both UEFI and Legacy in test.  I'm not disputing your experience or finding, but it it works, does it matter?

For what it's worth, you are posting on the DSM 6 Jun loader thread, so what was written back in 2021 isn't applicable to Tinycore.

Guys

trying to setup DS918+ 6.2-2379 104b using real macs and serial, but getting this, does anyone know what is happening as i cannot setup my NAS and use quickconnect etc.

was getting the same problem with v7 hence went to 6.2, i am stuck as to know what is happening.

cheers guys

20220708_131312.jpg

В 03.07.2022 в 21:45, gericb сказал:

Thanks

Try to use Win32DiskImager.

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2019 at 10:11 AM, Big_11 said:

GOT IT !!!...

I've succesfully installed DSM 6.2.2-24922 update 2 to my Supermicro Server !!!..

After a lot of fails with installing for 916+ or 918+ i tried the DS3615xs Version

Took the 1.02 MBR Loader of Genesys and replaced the files with thes from 1.03b Loader…
and it worked !

i'am happy

thanks to all for your support
and by now i am really more experienced !..

have a nice day..

please which files did you replace?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Polanskiman unfeatured this topic
  • 8 months later...