XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

On 11/13/2020 at 12:50 PM, IG-88 said:

if you look up your cpu

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199328/intel-core-i9-10900-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html

you can see its gpu device id, 0x9BC5

so you would need to copy the medded i915,ko file to your system to (hopefully) make it work (there was not that much feedback)

Hi @IG-88

After load the i915.ko and set the owner to root and permissions to 0644 same as original file and make a reboot the system don't boot anymore. At begin the boot loader show the info txt but 2-4 seconds later the screen goes blank and finish(the nas is not reachable from the network)

7 hours ago, XDOM said:

I copy the "extra.lzma/extra2.lzma for loader 1.04b ds918+ DSM 6.2.3 v0.13.3" to my boot Loader image but the SR-IOV are still not available

i checked the extra and the driver is there but i did not made a entry in the rc.modules, so the driver is not loaded

you should be able to load it manually and then check again

6 hours ago, XDOM said:

After load the i915.ko and set the owner to root and permissions to 0644 same as original file and make a reboot the system don't boot anymore. At begin the boot loader show the info txt but 2-4 seconds later the screen goes blank and finish(the nas is not reachable from the network)

thats a little unforeseen, something like that was not reported when other people tried that

one thing you can do is to boot a live/rescue linux, mount the 1st partitons of all drives and delete/replace the non working file

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

that might be the fastest way for you to get you system up again

its also possible to mod the extra/extra2 to delete that file on boot, but that will not be ready before next evening

getting it up again would be to just copy the new files and boot, after that the normal extra.lzma would be copied to the loader again

Edited by IG-88

7 minutes ago, XDOM said:

Please tell me what i should do to get your i915.ko working with the "extra918plus_v0.13.3".

there is no driver in the 6.2.3 extra/extra2, the i915 driver from dsm is used and the modded/patched driver you tried it the only option, it that does not work it would need a newer i915 driver backported to synologys kernel (4.4.59) and i guess it will be hard to find someone doing that

Edited by IG-88

4 minutes ago, XDOM said:

How can i load it manually?

sudo insmod /usr/lib/modules/update/ixgbevf.ko

4 minutes ago, XDOM said:

and can i edit the rc.modules to load the driver automatically at boot?

/etc/rc.modules

( afair the rc.modules is not replaced in boot)

2 minutes ago, XDOM said:

but what i do was correctly? its the only steck i need to do? replace the i915.ko file

yes

i check the content of the extra file and the file is there but no at /usr/lib/modules/update Its possible that your extra/extra2 is not loading at boot?

maybe a error in my grub.cfg?

========================

if serial --port=0x3F8 --speed=115200;then
        set has_serial=true
        terminal_input --append serial
        terminal_output --append serial
else
        clear
fi

terminal_input --append console
terminal_output --append console

if [ x"${grub_platform}" = xefi ]; then
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
else
        insmod vbe
fi

set extra_initrd="extra.lzma"
set info="info.txt"

set vid=0x0781
set pid=0x5583
set sn=1230ODN006388
set mac1=A0369F288EFC
set mac2=A0369F288EFE
set rootdev=/dev/md0
set netif_num=1
#set extra_args_918='earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 earlyprintk loglevel=15 memmap=0x1000$223515000'
set extra_args_918=''

set common_args_918='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS918+ vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_hdd_detect=0 syno_port_thaw=1'

#for testing on VM
set sata_args='SataPortMap=4'

set default='0'
set timeout='1'
set fallback='1'

Edited by XDOM

52 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

( afair the rc.modules is not replaced in boot)

i modified the rc.modules on the running system with vi and reboot it(the file are in the mentioned file and it can be loaded manually to but its the same):

image.thumb.png.37c5fdf1681aef093bf5b98d5a10da5a.png

but SR-IOV are still not available:

image.thumb.png.dfbdb696f47df0767ae6c004633c08cd.png

the driver should not be listed here?

admin@NAS:/$ lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'

Kernel driver in use: pcieport

Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

Kernel driver in use: ahci

Kernel driver in use: ixgbe

Kernel driver in use: ixgbe

Kernel driver in use: nvme

Kernel driver in use: nvme

Regards

Edited by XDOM

8 hours ago, XDOM said:

i check the content of the extra file and the file is there but no at /usr/lib/modules/update Its possible that your extra/extra2 is not loading at boot?

the process is part of the pach file in the loaders extra in directory /etc

it does a compare to the update directiry on disk and copy's all *.ko files from the extra to disk

has nothing to du with grub.cfg, that one is mainly about parameter you can feed to the kernel directly like different power management, not wanting to use NCQ with ahci, ...

8 hours ago, XDOM said:

i modified the rc.modules on the running system with vi and reboot it(the file are in the mentioned file and it can be loaded manually to but its the same):

if the file is not present as mentioned above ... did you place it manually there?

check the /var/log/dmesg if it gets loaded on boot by rc.modules and whats its output

the driver was added for testing but i dont remember getting any feedback, i don't have a intel 10G card to test it

8 hours ago, XDOM said:

the driver should not be listed here?

admin@NAS:/$ lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'

maybe try "lspci -k" alone i don't know how it will look or if it will show up that way as its only a virtual device driver

check the logs about loading, maybe its missing something and does not load or it crashed when loading

edit after thinking a littel, wansn't the VF driver supposed to load inside a VM ? (and thats why its not loaded in the normal extra as it was supposed to be used with the virtio drivers in a vm)

does sr-iov need some activation in bios of system or bios of the nic?

edit2: to see if a module is loaded you would use "lsmod", that does not depend on hardware like lspci

Edited by IG-88

On 11/15/2020 at 5:22 AM, XDOM said:

but SR-IOV are still not available:

maybe we need more on 918+ as this is not a regular feature of this unit

synology seems regulates a lot things through the synoinfo.conf and variable because all units share the same base

try adding

support_sriov="yes"

in both synoinfo.conf

Hey there,

made a BIOS update from V3.2 to V3.3 on my Supermicro X10SLL-F. Unfortunately I am now having an issue on my production box, I got stucked at booting DSM, lloks like a grub issue:

"Trying to terminate EFI services again"

Anyone has an idea how to get this fixed? will update anyway here if I found a way!

BTW: Release notes here: https://www.supermicro.com/about/policies/disclaimer.cfm?SoftwareItemID=11734&type=releasenote

"Reinstall Boot option did not work either"

Edited by IceBoosteR

Update on my issue: Reverted back to V3.2 thanks to the https://archive.org/donate/

Issue is the same. I am assuming it's because I selected UEFI:MyUSBDrive in the bootorder as the first one. Could get the system now to boot with selecting the non-UEFI version.

Will flash again to V3.3. and try again.

Edit:

Good news, it was NOT the actual BIOS update causing the problem. I am now back at V3.3 and imagine that, choosing the normal option to boot from USB instead of the UEFI one fixed it!

So TIL, do not use (U)EFI mode on DSM/Xpenology.

Edited by IceBoosteR

24 minutes ago, IceBoosteR said:

Good news, it was NOT the actual BIOS update causing the problem. I am now back at V3.3 and imagine that, choosing the normal option to boot from USB instead of the UEFI one fixed it!

So TIL, do not use (U)EFI mode on DSM/Xpenology.

you are not going into detail about your loader and dsm type but it must be 1.03b 3615/17 and that behavior is documented here (CSM/BIOS mode)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

1.04b 918+ does not have this problem as it can use uefi and csm/bios

you might have just forgotten about that after installing with the 1.03b and the bios update did reset your bios to defaults, so its more like a documentation problem, maybe use some tape and atatch a sticker to the usb flash drive that make clear to use it in csm mode

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

you are not going into detail about your loader and dsm type but it must be 1.03b 3615/17 and that behavior is documented here (CSM/BIOS mode)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

1.04b 918+ does not have this problem as it can use uefi and csm/bios

you might have just forgotten about that after installing with the 1.03b and the bios update did reset your bios to defaults, so its more like a documentation problem, maybe use some tape and atatch a sticker to the usb flash drive that make clear to use it in csm mode

Sorry, yes, was kinda in hurry...
Anyway - you are right, I am using DS3615xs with loader 1.03b

Actually I know that page, but accidently overlooked the boot method. I am doing so much with computers and servers that I have not well thought about this - as monstly the boot option is UEFI these days. Glad that I could figure it out and Supermicro is providing a very good upgrade/downgrade path. Thanks to the Internet Archive I now also have a recovery BIOS version, just in case. 1.04b 918+ was not working on my Supermicro.

For reference on this thread, if someone is interested, setup is:

Intel Xeon E3-1270v3

32GB ECC RAM

Supermicro X10SLL-F

LSI SAS9300-8i and LSI SAS9220-8i

TLDR; Layer 8 aka user problem :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2018 at 6:00 AM, jun said:

Hi, everyone,

Thanks for you patience.

A new ds918 loader support 6.2/6.21 is uploaded.

whats new:

uefi issue fixed.

i915 driver updated.

link https://mega.nz/#F!Fgk01YoT!7fN9Uxe4lpzZWPLXPMONMA (for DS918+) - v1.04b

---Beginning of addition by polanskiman--- 

link https://mega.nz/#!OV4gVKyZ!dCgfXx1bgAOyvbFwFiov3s7RSNoFuqnAcNmSllLoUiw (for DS3615xs) - v1.03b 

link https://mega.nz/#!zcogjaDT!qIEazI49daggE2odvSwazn3VqBc_wv0zAvab6m6kHbA (for DS3617xs) - v1.03b

Please read this topic to know what loader to chose: 

Reveal hidden contents

---End of addition by polanskiman--- 

How do I use it? (Sorry for the stupid quuestion)

55 minutes ago, Victor1231234 said:

How do I use it? (Sorry for the stupid quuestion)

you start with the faq and the tutorial section

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

also interesting to know

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12422-xpenology-tool-for-windows-x64/

edit: there a lot of youtube videos about installing xpenology DSM 6.2, can be interesting to see one or two to get hunch how its done

the tutorial for 6.1 is still valid you just use newer loaders for 6.2.(3)

Edited by IG-88

Who knows the answer to how it works?

There are such parameters in linux kernel loader options:

linux /zImage ...... syno_hdd_detect=18,179,176,175,177,171 syno_hdd_enable=21,20,19,9,173,172

HDDs will not spin up without these parameters.
So, what do these numbers mean?
How is this implemented? Synology added some custom options in the linux kernel?

Is there a way to emulate these parameters for my custom kernel, or spin up the HDDs in another way?

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to installing Xpenology and am not albe to get it installed on my Buffalo TS4400D. 

When installing from the Synology Assistant, I get the error code 21 (after a varying amount of percentages' completeness), installing from the web UI, I get a message saying that the installation source (downloaded from Synology or what I supply manually) is corrrupt.

I am using the 1.04 loader and have tried with all the recent DS918+ .pat files from Synology (6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2,  6.2.3) with the ssme resulting error code.

Found in some other thread (not mentioned in instructions I have found) that the grub.cfg has to changed with the correct vid/pid for my USB stick, a serial number from a 918+,  and the MAC addresses to the ones in the TS4400D. At least the serial number and MAC address change was verified when using the Assistant software to scan for devices.

Next step to try out ? Is it to try an older version of the loader ?

5 hours ago, peoy said:

that the grub.cfg has to changed with the correct vid/pid for my USB stick,

forget about SN and mac, for installing the usb vid/pid needs to match to the values of the usb flash drive you are using

sn is only used for some packages and mac is only mandatory when using WOL