XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

Upgrade possible?

Hi Im running DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 5 (DS3615xs) on a HP Microserver Gen8. Can I update  to the latest 6.2.x version? How?

I also found some older hardware in the house. Aore2duo 8200  Intel® Core Duo Prozessor E8200, with MSI Mainboard an 8GB RAM.

Can this be used with xpenology?

Many thanks

21 minutes ago, hokaido said:

Hi Im running DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 5 (DS3615xs) on a HP Microserver Gen8. Can I update  to the latest 6.2.x version? How?

grab loader 1.03b for 3615 do the same to it as you did to the 1.02b loader (have a look into the grub.cfg of your running loader for vid/pid, mac and serial)

make copy of your old loader with Win32DiskImager and then put loader 1.03b to it (with the mods in grub.cfg) - or wehen using a new usb you will have to read its vid/pid and enter that int the grub.cfg

customization its the same as for loader 1.02b

after booting up with the new usb you should find it in network (synology assistant) and it should offer you to migrate to 6.2.3

21 minutes ago, hokaido said:

Intel® Core Duo Prozessor E8200, with MSI Mainboard an 8GB RAM

imho it should run with loader 1.03b 3615 image

Edited by IG-88

On 9/23/2020 at 10:58 PM, hokaido said:

The system files are on drive 1 as well with some user data. This will not kill my user data?

the system is (as raid1) on every drive (except cache drives) and there is also a swap partition (raid1) on every drive, 2+2.4GB, the rest of the drive is usually part of a raid array with user data (depending on the drive count its usually raid1 or raid5 or raid6)

the update (migration) only replaces the system partition and used config data from the old system

worst case is not being able to access your data because the system does not boot after the update, is most cases it happens because the udate process is started through the webgui, installing the new dsm version (kernel) to the system partiton and the usb (with the old loader), on nxt boot the loader is not able to start the new dsm version (6.1->6.2) and the people struggle to get a loader working

by preparing the loader 1st, booting it up and finding the system in network its nearly always a working migration because you already running the new loader

Edited by IG-88

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! 

I am used long years ago  the DS3617xs loader, all ok, i replaced mobos, CPUs, HDDs, without any problem, i migrated system, in all case. Now i replaced my 3 yrs old 4TB WD RED to 6TB WD purple, and tried DS918+ loader. I have a small i3-6100 dual core cpu, and an Asrock H110M-ITX mobo + 16GB DDR4 ram in a thin  LC Power LI-1360mi case, i use it 5-6 years ago without any problem, i have a genuine intel cpu cooler, and an arctic cooling HDD cooler, they can handle the heat. Yesterday evening installed new pat file, today i finish settings, and wondering, my server at same place, same case, same temperature, only the HDD replaced, but that HDD temp is +6 +8°C hotter. What happened? 

Finally i found an "issue", the DS918+ loader can't governor CPU throttling (speedstep), so my CPU runs at full speed, 3.7GHZ,  and i watch only 0-1% so i think, it idling at regular 700MHz. The DS3617xs loader and pat file for that can governor CPU thottling, so i think, i can't get any advance i i stay at DS918+ loader.

Pls if anybody can, tell me real advance DS3617xs loader and pat against DS918+. I use mobo's internal intel nic at this moment, but planned to grab a pci-express slot adapter, and an Intel  AX200 wifi card, because link speed will be grow from 1 Gbit to 2.4 Gbit, so lan card issue not problem, i wll get same speed without cables. So what the advance of DS918+? 

Thanks!   

14 hours ago, flyride said:

DS918+ enables NVMe cache drive support and hardware transcoding using Intel QuickSync.  DS3617xs offers 16 CPU thread support and RAIDF1.

That's all, but DS3617XS kernel older, so i can use that system more eventuality, i think. So in this small advantage not play with me. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Rick4 said:

and an Intel  AX200 wifi card, because link speed will be grow from 1 Gbit to 2.4 Gbit, so lan card issue not problem, i wll get same speed without cables

for one you might have trouble finding a driver and ways to implement and configure it, synology gave up on  supporting wlan 3 years ago

and as over the thumb rule, expect only half the real data throughput as the wifi theory spec is suggesting

even if you get it working by compiling out own driver you might end up with only a slight performance increase (or maybe non if you are a little further away from the box)

and just in case, the new intel 2.5GBit nic's are not usable because intel only provides a driver inside kernel 5.x and has not intension to deliver a standalone driver for older linux (like 3.x, 4.x that is used for DSM)

your possible ways to more network speed are a usb 3.0 adapter with a chip that is supported by the aqc111.ko driver (Aquantia AQC111U, QNAP QNA-UC5G1T, TRENDnet TUC-ET5G, StarTech.com US5GC30, Sonnet Solo5G) or a supported 10G pcie nic that can also use 5G and 2.5G (older 10G nic's only support 10G, so have a look for a cards, supportig IEEE 802.3bz), the cheapest might be realtek  RTL8125 based 2.5G capable

2 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

for one you might have trouble finding a driver and ways to implement and configure it, synology gave up on  supporting wlan 3 years ago

and as over the thumb rule, expect only half the real data throughput as the wifi theory spec is suggesting

even if you get it working by compiling out own driver you might end up with only a slight performance increase (or maybe non if you are a little further away from the box)

and just in case, the new intel 2.5GBit nic's are not usable because intel only provides a driver inside kernel 5.x and has not intension to deliver a standalone driver for older linux (like 3.x, 4.x that is used for DSM)

your possible ways to more network speed are a usb 3.0 adapter with a chip that is supported by the aqc111.ko driver (Aquantia AQC111U, QNAP QNA-UC5G1T, TRENDnet TUC-ET5G, StarTech.com US5GC30, Sonnet Solo5G) or a supported 10G pcie nic that can also use 5G and 2.5G (older 10G nic's only support 10G, so have a look for a cards, supportig IEEE 802.3bz), the cheapest might be realtek  RTL8125 based 2.5G capable

Thanks, i am understanding that. The important wifi card upgrade will be my PC's card, server not urgent. 

2 minutes ago, Rick4 said:

Thanks alot, but in  the future the newest will be good? 

What future? It is very unlikely there will be anything new other than bug fix updates to 6.2.x so why does the kernel version matter? I think the only reason Syno updated the kernel for 918+ was for nvme support.

If someone makes a loader for 7.x, you will replace everything anyway (new kernel on all platforms).

48 minutes ago, flyride said:

What future? It is very unlikely there will be anything new other than bug fix updates to 6.2.x so why does the kernel version matter? I think the only reason Syno updated the kernel for 918+ was for nvme support.

If someone makes a loader for 7.x, you will replace everything anyway (new kernel on all platforms).

Okay, i just planned 2-3 years more  using xpenology. I don'k know how it works, maybe default migration will be a simple step, but i am afraid how new .pat works with our hardwares.  

2 hours ago, flyride said:

Many are still running 5.2 now, years after Syno stopped putting out updates for it.  We all may do the same with 6.2.x as long as there is no loader for 7.x.

My point is you should choose your current DSM using XPEnology based on features you need, not a kernel version.

Okay, i tried install back DS3617XS .pat file, botted with  jun's 1.03 loader which .pat file must i use? :-)

Edited by Rick4
mistyping

4 minutes ago, flyride said:

Did you prepare a 1.03b USB loader and properly set VID/PID?

Yes, i do it from early begins i found this project. I used xpenology tool for vpid / pid,  tied boot from legacy usb  and  uefi ( in this case server do not get ip). At this point i plug back other pendrive with 918+ loader, and if i luck, it will boot, i will try migration tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, Rick4 said:

Yes, i do it from early begins i found this project. I used xpenology tool for vpid / pid,  tied boot from legacy usb  and  uefi ( in this case server do not get ip). At this point i plug back other pendrive with 918+ loader, and if i luck, it will boot, i will try migration tomorrow. 

All ok, 918+ system booted, i will try migrating tomorrow, thanks for fast  helping. I just checked, i used xpenology first at september of 2013, so i am a "senior", but this system  works too good, a simply user as me, can't get hard skill in installing, if i replace my servers only 3-4 yearly. :-)))))))))

Edited by Rick4
mistyping

24 minutes ago, Rick4 said:

i used xpenology first at september of 2013, so i am a "senior", but this system

senior enough when you see the difference between a legacy and uefi usb boot device in bios

as for your cpu problem, beside the frequency scaling thread you already found there is the option to under clock and under volt the cpu in bios, for most operations even half the speed it enough

8 hours ago, IG-88 said:

senior enough when you see the difference between a legacy and uefi usb boot device in bios

as for your cpu problem, beside the frequency scaling thread you already found there is the option to under clock and under volt the cpu in bios, for most operations even half the speed it enough

I know, what the difference between legacy and uefi, my problem comes from someone else, the cpu scaling was the only one issue i found, but i am  found the solution, ipkgui and inside that installing of cpufrequtils, and some starting task words solve my problem, cpu scaling works good under DS918+ loader. :-) But in this case the reinstall, and DS36127XS files makes all easier.