XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

Hello there,

I've been running DSM 6.1.7-15284 for a while thanks to Jun loader 1.02b for over two years with no problems, however I was thinking that it was time to do some update and since Jun's loader for 6.2 has been released for a while so... I encouraged to update the xpenology.

I did through the system packager to upgrade to the most recent version pointing to 6.2.2-24922 and reflash the usb with the Jun's loader 1.03b for 3615xs. Following again the tutorial for the migration from 5.2 to 6.0.2 I just configure the grub file matching my mac addresses, pid, vendor and the sn pointing to 1130LWN015135 as states here for 3615xs: https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/index.html

I found it through http://find.synology.com/# and prompted the diskstation and click on recovering. When the progress loader began to start, it showed 1% percent to recover the system and suddenly prompted that was in the process to restarting... suspicious. I did again the process to find my synology but this time wasn't unable to find any. There was no ip listed in my router for the xpenology. I repeated this process burning the loader again, plug in, and so on... I don't know if I am missing something... I hope there's nothing corrupted or sort of... anyone that could know what's going on?

Edited by Tone

31 minutes ago, Tone said:

I did through the system packager to upgrade to the most recent version pointing to 6.2.2-24922 and reflash the usb with the Jun's loader 1.03b for 3615xs.

do you know that 6.2.2 need different drivers, so you need a different extra.lzma on the 2nd partition of the loader?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

just copy the new extra.lzma to the 2nd partition of the usb replacing the old and you should see you system agin in network and should be able to finish the update

any information about you hardware, like cpu, board, nic, storage controller?

edit: there is a new 6.2.3 but i'd suggest you finish the update to 6.2.2 first before trying this

Edited by IG-88

11 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

do you know that 6.2.2 need different drivers, so you need a different extra.lzma on the 2nd partition of the loader?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

just copy the new extra.lzma to the 2nd partition of the usb replacing the old and you should see you system agin in network and should be able to finish the update

any information about you hardware, like cpu, board, nic, storage controller?

edit: there is a new 6.2.3 but i'd suggest you finish the update to 6.2.2 first before trying this

Hello and thank you for the quick answer,

Yes I read something about the extra.lzma but I thought it was only for cases the NIC wasn't able to be detected at all but now that you mention, it disappears at second boot so I'll try this. Now I'll put the specs of my machine:

CPU: AMD Opteron X3216 / 1.6 GHz

NIC: Broadcom 5720

And I'd say that's the most relevant, the machine is an HP Proliant Microserver GEN10. You can find more information here: https://cdn.cnetcontent.com/ac/34/ac34857c-5b7d-4bc0-a7b4-e981390c37eb.pdf

47 minutes ago, Tone said:

, it disappears at second boot

i guess it updated the usb from its original kernel 6.2.0 to the installed 6.2.2 and that would result in most drivers to fail on loading, pretty sure the broadcom would fail in this situation and it should be fixed by replacing the extra.lzma, on next boot that would copy the content of the new extra.lzma to disk and load these new modules, system should boot again and finish the update

when updating to 6.2.3 you would need to copy the old extra.lzma from jun's original loader 1.03b again to the usb, can be extracted with 7zip (open image.img inside from synoboot.img)

i'd suggest removing the  usb when 6.2.2 is running, placing the new (or more likely the old from jun's original) extra.lzma on the 2nd partition and after putting it back to the 6.2.2 machine doing the 6..2.3 update in the web gui of dsm, that would copy the new 6.2.3 kernel files to usb and prepare the system for the update on next boot (with the new kernel), if the right extra.lzma is already in place it should flawlessly reboot and do the update when automatically reboting

Edited by IG-88

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

i guess it updated the usb from its original kernel 6.2.0 to the installed 6.2.2 and that would result in most drivers to fail on loading, pretty sure the broadcom would fail in this situation and it should be fixed by replacing the extra.lzma, on next boot that would copy the content of the new extra.lzma to disk and load these new modules, system should boot again and finish the update

when updating to 6.2.3 you would need to copy the old extra.lzma from jun's original loader 1.03b again to the usb, can be extracted with 7zip (open image.img inside from synoboot.img)

i'd suggest removing the  usb when 6.2.2 is running, placing the new (or more likely the old from jun's original) extra.lzma on the 2nd partition and after putting it back to the 6.2.2 machine doing the 6..2.3 update in the web gui of dsm, that would copy the new 6.2.3 kernel files to usb and prepare the system for the update on next boot (with the new kernel), if the right extra.lzma is already in place it should flawlessly reboot and do the update when automatically reboting

Thank you very much! Finally worked! It was a very painful process since I cannot edit the bootloader usb directly and I had to make an image of the booteable usb and replace the extra.lzma through osfmounter but anyway... now it's working flawlessly! 

Thank you again and I will try to update to 6.2.3 althought I cannot see any updates in the upgrade panel... should be do it via manually? 

Regards.

23 minutes ago, Tone said:

Thank you again and I will try to update to 6.2.3 althought I cannot see any updates in the upgrade panel... should be do it via manually? 

its from today and it might take some time until all systems get it, you can manually download it and install

with "Ext2 Volume Manager" (free version)  you can handle both partitons

2nd partition just need to get a drive letter assigned to copy extra.lzma

1st partition can also get a drive letter but to edit grub.cfg, start notepap++ with extended right as administrator and then you can access grub.cfg through the open dialog in notepad++

Hi I have tried every step and it will simply not find my nas, I tried with a brand new machine with 6.1.7 update 3 in 3615 works like a charm, if I try to update to 6.2 with new bootloader it will simply not find my nas, I have a realtek nic attached to my MB it is a brand new I3 processor , I have extracted the images from the links you gave, replace the extra.lmz file and nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me?

Regards

On 5/20/2020 at 8:47 PM, screege said:

Hi I have tried every step and it will simply not find my nas, I tried with a brand new machine with 6.1.7 update 3 in 3615 works like a charm, if I try to update to 6.2 with new bootloader it will simply not find my nas, I have a realtek nic attached to my MB it is a brand new I3 processor , I have extracted the images from the links you gave, replace the extra.lmz file and nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me?

Regards

Hello there,

I don't know if you read my previous post but seems to be a similar problem. I replaced the extra.lzma but only after run the new bootloader and running the wizard to looking for the NAS and restore it. After this you only need to unplug the USB, and running  "Ext2 Volume Manager" as @IG-88 stated in the previous post to replace the extra.lzma in the existing bootloader and plug in and boot again and now your NAS should be shown again to continue with the migration.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:47 PM, screege said:

you dont give much deail about your hardware (like system board)

a guess would be that for 6.2 you need to use CMS/legacy mode, not uefi and you need to boot from the "non uefi" usb device, in some cases you will see that legacy boot device only after rebooting with active csm mode

the difference with the loader is documented here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

also try dsm 6.2.0 or 6.2.3 when not using any different extra.lzma

when using 6.2.2 you will need a different extra.lzma as drivers are different for this version, but with dms 6.2.3 it's back to normal an 6.2.2 is obsolete

this is a cry for help

i updated to 6.2.3-25423 and nothing loaded. somehow the below steps work to get some sort of life on the synology

Im able to find it now on synology finder and ping it only if i select reinstall from Juan1.03b loader. I get the option to migrate but when i select the latest package to install it looks like its completing, restarts, but then i cant ping it again until i hit the reinstall from the loader. 

Ive tried both option to migrate..

Any advice? It cant be that bricked if im getting some sort of life here. The finder shows it to be on 6.2.3-25423

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dxdx said:

boot ufei, network can't be detected.

boot legacy, mainboard can't detect boot device.

is your nic on the compatible list?,  you booted UEFI and it worked just sounds like you don't have a compatible NIC.

What is your NAS specs?

You Should prob start here and get your device id by booting into a linux usb and check if ytou have compatible nic and then move on to using extra.lzma once you understand whats going on:

Hi, 

I'm trying to setup Synology High Availability storage and have a problem. I'm using loader v1.04b and DSM 6.2.3. I have tweaked the mac and serial number for the second machine in order to have 2 setups in one network. I managed to install and configure the High Availability, but on restart of the passive node it says: 

error: no such partition

Entering rescue mode...

and not booting.

Do you have any idea what can be the problem and is HA supported on bare metal.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

It's been a while since i used Xpenology, i wanted to run it on my old HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 again, and i created the USB a i used to - i think....

But i can't get an ip for the server, i've copied the "extra" file into the image, but that don't seem to help....

Does anyone got an idea to what i'm doing wrong ?

Thanks...

On 7/2/2020 at 3:23 AM, Bear-NET said:

Hi,

It's been a while since i used Xpenology, i wanted to run it on my old HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 again, and i created the USB a i used to - i think....

But i can't get an ip for the server, i've copied the "extra" file into the image, but that don't seem to help....

Does anyone got an idea to what i'm doing wrong ?

Thanks...

read back a few pages in this thread. 

the links from IG-88 and flyride will help you

I have been trying to upgrade the 1.02b loader to the 1.03b loader (both 3615xs model).

Motherboard is a Asus H87i-Plus with an intel G3420  CPU. I have an extra HP NC360T dual port NIC.

I think i am doing something wrong with the lagacy boot mode in the bios. I have tried every setting under secure boot and CSM but nu luck.

In the uefi boot mode I get tot he screen “happy hacking” but ofcourse no network.

Tried several USB drives. No name, Kingston, Transcend an Sandisk. I am sure i did not make mistake with the pid vid.

Can somebody help me (with the bios settings?)

Hello ,

has anyone experienced the strange behavior that the box shuts down at the same time , but it can also run for days without any issues . This is the problem that i'm facing right now .

I'm running DS918+ DSM 6.2.3-25426 .The time is around 22:32 when this happens 🤪

I can't find anything in the logs 😑

image.thumb.png.00a55a744e28c86e77220b1bba49deef.png

Hi everyone,

I would kindly ask some help, actually I have XPE working successfully on my Asrock Q1900-ITX, CPU J1900 and NIC RTL8111GR, I suppose I would have some problem to migrate from  DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 to the last 6.2.3, I would also change from DS3615xs to DS918+.

I suppose newer kernel would works better, shall I need some extra driver extension? Perhaps is better if I try everything unplugging HDs and use a new USB to boot so I can go back easily, is it right?

Thanks

Hi,

Is there any way to allow 2 PCI-E sata controller on DS3617xs? I did one work perfectly by editing grub.cfg with "set extra_args_3617='DiskIdxMap=1000 SataPortMap=24'". However, when I add another sata controller and change grub.cfg to "DiskIdxMap=100005 SataPortMap=244'", all hard drives on sata controllers are gone.

What's the correct expression for this situation? I have 3 drives on the old sata controller and 4 drives on new sata controller.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Masterain said:

What's the correct expression for this situation? I have 3 drives on the old sata controller and 4 drives on new sata controller.

i'd say just keep the defaults ad only edit vales as needed, so try the original values the loader came with

DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1

Edited by IG-88