XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

the .pat files are the regular DSM OS files from synology. You can download the DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS918+ build 24922 versions, which are the ones most commonly referred to in polanskiman and IG-88's installation guides, from here: https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/

(For other versions you can go to the parent directory and select the one you want. Do not go to the 6.2.3 version unless you know what you are doing (e.g. you know your hardware is natively supported by the DSM version as there isn't a working extra.lzma available for 6.2.3 yet afaik.)

Make sure you download the correct one for the bootloader. So DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat, DSM_DS2617xs_24922.pat for the two Bootloader 1.03b versions or DS918+_24922.pat for the 1.04b bootloader

Also make sure you read this thread for upgrading to/installing DSM 6.2.2 using Bootloader 1.04b/1.03b:

Edited by PhoenixNL72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

im searching and searching, im stuck at the bootloader, it freezes more or less the second i choose to boot jun loader 1.03b for upgrade to 6.2.2 

im pretty confident that i made the boot USB proberly

the seriel connection does not give a respons after the boot menu

1.02b dsm 6.1.7 works flawlessly.

i have a hp deskpro 490 G1 but with a  xeon E3-1225 v3. the bios is set for legacy support, uefi boot disable

im using the 3615xs loader. 

ive tried with the replace of extra.lmza and the rd files.. both from the 0.5 test and the pat file. 

my lastest try was the 3617 instead. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure PID, VID and Serial in grub.cfg are correct? From my experience 6.2.2 is a lot more touchy about those being correct then 6.1.7. It's also more touchy with the USB flash disk used. I could boot 6.1.7 just fine from an SD Card in a flash card reader. But 6.2.2 absolutely refused.
I also couldn't get 6.2.2 to boot with a serial number generated with the old webbased serialnumber generator. Seems you need a serial that starts with something like C7L, Like the one in Jun's original 1.03b bootloader.
If you are sure you are using the correct PID & VID for your USB stick, and are using a valid synology serial number. Try using a different model and/or brand USB boot stick.

Your loader must store the DSM version on the USB right?

I have this procedure when looking at a new update.

1. Before I update DSM version I like to install the newer DSM on a blank drive removing all my NAS drives before to test the new DSM.

2. If successful I unplug that drive and go back to all my original nas drives and do the update, if it fails I dont do the update.

Now the above would appear to work BUT it seems DSM is aware of me doing my drive swap & update and the only place that could possibly store any info like that is the USB. Is there a way to remove, clear or alter that DSM version number from your loader and HOW?

Edited by madhits45

madhits45: You could rewrite the USB loader with the original img file. That way any data the upgrade wrote to it is removed. But if you did any modifications of the config files/extra.lzma etc you will have to redo those (Though with OSFMount you could make those changes inside the img file itself). Alternatively you can do it on the USB stick afterwards and create a new IMG file from that IUSB stick using the Win32DiskImager read the data from the USB stick to a new IMG file (you can enable the Allocated Partitions Read only option so you don't include unallocated space on the USB stick in the image).

Edited by PhoenixNL72

On 4/28/2020 at 9:48 PM, hemna said:

I've tried booting 1.04b in a kvm vm and it shows the boot menu, then goes blank and nothing happens, but the host cpu is busy.

synology.xml 4.71 kB · 3 downloads

Hm, not sure. Could be a protection issue with the PID/VID/Serial number, or a kernel panic?
Are you sure the VM's hardware setup is compatible ? AFAIK 1.04b only works with the 918+ DSM pat files and those require you to have at least an intel Haswell or later processor (I3/i5/i7 4xxx or later) due to the iGPU (915 I think it needs?) requirement. As is listed here:

Did you put the correct extra.lzma on the USB stick? Or the extra.lzma modded by user Real3x: 

I'm assuming you don't have a DSM installed on any HDDs yet. And the system is freezing on the USB Bootloader only. (If you do have DSM setup on a harddrive then it might have problems while booting from that, which would be a different problem.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PhoenixNL72 said:

1.04b only works with the 918+ DSM pat files and those require you to have at least an intel Haswell or later processor (I3/i5/i7 4xxx or later) due to the iGPU (915 I think it needs?) requirement.

FWIW it's not an iGPU dependency, although 916/918 are the only supported DSM images with iGPU support.  The Haswell requirement appears to come from the kernel; it appears to demand CPU instructions that are only available on that processor architecture or later.

18 hours ago, madhits45 said:

Now the above would appear to work BUT it seems DSM is aware of me doing my drive swap & update and the only place that could possibly store any info like that is the USB. Is there a way to remove, clear or alter that DSM version number from your loader and HOW?

DSM writes the kernel files (zImage and rd.gz) to the usb - if there is a new one with the update - to "revert" you just replace these files with your old you had before the update

you can also use Win32DiskImager 1.0 to make a copy of your usb before doing the update (activate "read only allocated partitions" to keep it fast an small), if Win10deas not get you a drive letter anymore (1909, latest udpates) to use the tool you can make one with "Ext2 Volume Manager" (https://www.ext2fsd.com)

use the 2nd partition that, same tool/way can used to copy end revert the two kernel files

btw information's about the installed version are stored in the file

/etc/VERSION

/etc.default/VERSION

same file is also in the rd.gz so on boot DSM will compare if there is a mismatch

also this file is in the *.pat file used for updating, at least in not "updateX" updates (means biger updates that change at least minor version numbers)

in samller  "updateX" updates there can be a new kernel too, in this case its inside "flashupdate_6.2-24922-sX_all.deb", these are the files that are written to your usb (zImage and rd.gz. will be there too)

example:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.2"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="24922"
smallfixnumber="5"

"smallfixnumber" would be for a "updateX" version so the 5 in the example is the red X from above

updateX version always contain the content of former updateX versions so update6 will have all files from update1-5 too (can be checkr be opening the *.pat like a zip file)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhoenixNL72 said:

Oh, Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the lack of the correct iGPU hardware would cause a kernel panic during boot or something.

if you read this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

you might recognize

"...

AMD Piledriver is suspected to be the minimum chip architecture to support DS916 or DS918 DSM platforms, but this is unverified.

..."

so  even "older" amd cpu's are capable of running 918+

and its also interesting to see what hardware people use and make assumptions (like using 918+ with older xeon cpu's that come without a iGPU)

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/78-dsm-updates-reporting/

if anyone is interested about the cause, synology also published the kernel config used

i don't know which of these parameters make a 4th gen intel cpu mandatory (its alos clear to see that 8 cpu cores are a hardcoded limit within the 918+ kernel, CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8, so 4 core with HT or 8 without HT,  3617 has 16 in that place)

Spoiler

#
# Processor type and features
#
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
CONFIG_X86_FEATURE_NAMES=y
# CONFIG_X86_FAST_FEATURE_TESTS is not set
# CONFIG_X86_MPPARSE is not set
CONFIG_RETPOLINE=y
# CONFIG_X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORM is not set
# CONFIG_X86_INTEL_LPSS is not set
# CONFIG_X86_AMD_PLATFORM_DEVICE is not set
# CONFIG_IOSF_MBI is not set
CONFIG_X86_SUPPORTS_MEMORY_FAILURE=y
# CONFIG_SCHED_OMIT_FRAME_POINTER is not set
# CONFIG_HYPERVISOR_GUEST is not set
CONFIG_NO_BOOTMEM=y
# CONFIG_MK8 is not set
# CONFIG_MPSC is not set
# CONFIG_MCORE2 is not set
CONFIG_MATOM=y
# CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU is not set
CONFIG_X86_INTERNODE_CACHE_SHIFT=6
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=6
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG64=y
CONFIG_X86_CMOV=y
CONFIG_X86_MINIMUM_CPU_FAMILY=64
CONFIG_X86_DEBUGCTLMSR=y
CONFIG_PROCESSOR_SELECT=y
CONFIG_CPU_SUP_INTEL=y
# CONFIG_CPU_SUP_AMD is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_SUP_CENTAUR is not set
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_DMI=y
# CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
CONFIG_SWIOTLB=y
CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
# CONFIG_MAXSMP is not set
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8
# CONFIG_SCHED_SMT is not set
CONFIG_SCHED_MC=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_COUNT=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
# CONFIG_X86_REROUTE_FOR_BROKEN_BOOT_IRQS is not set
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_INTEL=y
# CONFIG_X86_MCE_AMD is not set
CONFIG_X86_MCE_THRESHOLD=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_INJECT=m
CONFIG_X86_THERMAL_VECTOR=y
# CONFIG_VM86 is not set
CONFIG_X86_VSYSCALL_EMULATION=y
# CONFIG_I8K is not set
# CONFIG_MICROCODE is not set
CONFIG_X86_MSR=y
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=y
CONFIG_ARCH_PHYS_ADDR_T_64BIT=y
CONFIG_ARCH_DMA_ADDR_T_64BIT=y
CONFIG_X86_DIRECT_GBPAGES=y
# CONFIG_NUMA is not set
CONFIG_ARCH_SPARSEMEM_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SPARSEMEM_DEFAULT=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SELECT_MEMORY_MODEL=y
CONFIG_ARCH_PROC_KCORE_TEXT=y
CONFIG_ILLEGAL_POINTER_VALUE=0xdead000000000000
CONFIG_SELECT_MEMORY_MODEL=y
CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_MANUAL=y
CONFIG_SPARSEMEM=y
CONFIG_HAVE_MEMORY_PRESENT=y
CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_EXTREME=y
CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_ALLOC_MEM_MAP_TOGETHER=y
CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP=y
CONFIG_HAVE_MEMBLOCK=y
CONFIG_HAVE_MEMBLOCK_NODE_MAP=y
CONFIG_ARCH_DISCARD_MEMBLOCK=y
# CONFIG_HAVE_BOOTMEM_INFO_NODE is not set
# CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG is not set
CONFIG_SPLIT_PTLOCK_CPUS=4
CONFIG_ARCH_ENABLE_SPLIT_PMD_PTLOCK=y
CONFIG_COMPACTION=y
CONFIG_MIGRATION=y
CONFIG_PHYS_ADDR_T_64BIT=y
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA_FLAG=1
CONFIG_BOUNCE=y
CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
CONFIG_MMU_NOTIFIER=y
CONFIG_KSM=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_MMAP_MIN_ADDR=65536
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_MEMORY_FAILURE=y
# CONFIG_MEMORY_FAILURE is not set
# CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE is not set
# CONFIG_CLEANCACHE is not set
# CONFIG_FRONTSWAP is not set
# CONFIG_CMA is not set
# CONFIG_ZPOOL is not set
# CONFIG_ZBUD is not set
CONFIG_ZSMALLOC=y
# CONFIG_PGTABLE_MAPPING is not set
# CONFIG_ZSMALLOC_STAT is not set
CONFIG_GENERIC_EARLY_IOREMAP=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_DEFERRED_STRUCT_PAGE_INIT=y
# CONFIG_IDLE_PAGE_TRACKING is not set
CONFIG_FRAME_VECTOR=y
# CONFIG_X86_PMEM_LEGACY is not set
# CONFIG_X86_CHECK_BIOS_CORRUPTION is not set
CONFIG_X86_RESERVE_LOW=64
CONFIG_MTRR=y
# CONFIG_MTRR_SANITIZER is not set
# CONFIG_X86_PAT is not set
CONFIG_ARCH_RANDOM=y
CONFIG_X86_SMAP=y
# CONFIG_X86_INTEL_MPX is not set
CONFIG_EFI=y
# CONFIG_EFI_STUB is not set
# CONFIG_SECCOMP is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_250 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000
CONFIG_SCHED_HRTICK=y
CONFIG_KEXEC=y
CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y
# CONFIG_KEXEC_JUMP is not set
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x100000
CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
# CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE is not set
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_ALIGN=0x1000000
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
# CONFIG_BOOTPARAM_HOTPLUG_CPU0 is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_HOTPLUG_CPU0 is not set
# CONFIG_COMPAT_VDSO is not set
# CONFIG_LEGACY_VSYSCALL_NATIVE is not set
CONFIG_LEGACY_VSYSCALL_EMULATE=y
# CONFIG_LEGACY_VSYSCALL_NONE is not set
# CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL is not set
# CONFIG_MODIFY_LDT_SYSCALL is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_LIVEPATCH=y
CONFIG_ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

DSM writes the kernel files (zImage and rd.gz) to the usb - if there is a new one with the update - to "revert" you just replace these files with your old you had before the update

you can also use Win32DiskImager 1.0 to make a copy of your usb before doing the update (activate "read only allocated partitions" to keep it fast an small), if Win10deas not get you a drive letter anymore (1909, latest udpates) to use the tool you can make one with "Ext2 Volume Manager" (https://www.ext2fsd.com)

use the 2nd partition that, same tool/way can used to copy end revert the two kernel files

btw information's about the installed version are stored in the file

/etc/VERSION

/etc.default/VERSION

same file is also in the rd.gz so on boot DSM will compare if there is a mismatch

also this file is in the *.pat file used for updating, at least in not "updateX" updates (means biger updates that change at least minor version numbers)

in samller  "updateX" updates there can be a new kernel too, in this case its inside "flashupdate_6.2-24922-sX_all.deb", these are the files that are written to your usb (zImage and rd.gz. will be there too)

example:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.2"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="24922"
smallfixnumber="5"

"smallfixnumber" would be for a "updateX" version so the 5 in the example is the red X from above

updateX version always contain the content of former updateX versions so update6 will have all files from update1-5 too (can be checkr be opening the *.pat like a zip file)

Wow Thank you for all the detail. I forget this when I test for a new update and I'm so lucky this update went ok this time. I'll take down this note for updating next time.

So awesome you explained it, i knew it had to be there. I'm starting to depend on my xpenology and updating becomes very dangerous if your potentially going to loose all your storage and have to start from scratch.

1 minute ago, madhits45 said:

if your potentially going to loose all your storage and have to start from scratch.

thats not going to happen, your raid of the data volume is not touched when doing system updates

in worst case you just loose the ability to boot DSM, you can always another OS to access your data on the raid volume

my plan B is still to start open media vault and let it discover my DSM volume (dsm uses just the normal linux features like mdadm and lvm2 any linux system can use)

you can prepare a usb drive or disk with OMV (disconnect any dsm drive/usb prepare omv on your hardware) and boot from it instead of booting from the xpenology loader

it should see your raid volume and you cam make is accessible through network for windows or mac, omv has i nice and easy web gui too

as long as you dont need dsm specific features you can use OMV until you can make DSM boot again

there are other option too (see downgrade tutorial with a additional disk) and even deleting the content of the 1st(!!!) partitions of your DSM drives and reinstalling DSM from scratch (even with a older dsm version), dsm will not touch your raid data partitions, it would only reclaim the 2.4GB system partitions, there is a mode to overwrite the all data including your data partitions but you explicitly need to choose that and acknowledge that you loose all data (taking the time to read a warning is not vasted time)

a semi bricked dsm is no big deal if you are prepared and understand your system (as with any self installed server system) and having a backup is also a good idea because even raid6 can break and file system can have problems too (even if the raid works fine)

people not wanting to deal with this stuff are better of buying a real synology box or a qnap box (and still should have a backup at least from the most important data like family photos or important documents - separating data under that point of view will make things easier to backup, in most cases a big usb disk is enough for having a backup of the most important stuff)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

thats not going to happen, your raid of the data volume is not touched when doing system updates

in worst case you just loose the ability to boot DSM, you can always another OS to access your data on the raid volume

The docs on XPen have improved so much since DSM 5 when I started. I never really relied on DSM 5 and it was just something to play with, never even stored data cuz I did not trust it. Before now I did what you said and always used 1 huge drive that I just backed up and threw in a corner till I needed it. Then I found Surveillance Station and a docker VM. Now I actually need it up and running 24/7. I also looked at OMV and considered it a lot, It has also improved since I last looked.

I wonder if BTRFS can be recovered with OMV? I know there was a lot of talk with BTRFS came out that it was not recommended because other systems could not read it but that has probably all changed now. Sinology forces you into it for certain things, so its kinda needed now.

56 minutes ago, madhits45 said:

I wonder if BTRFS can be recovered with OMV? I know there was a lot of talk with BTRFS came out that it was not recommended because other systems could not read it but that has probably all changed now.

recognizing a btrfs is possible for >2-3 years i guess,  you cant create a btrfs in the gui but you are able from cli, they had 2nd thoughts supporting it an a way that it is there own standard (even as 2nd option)

thats what i tested, raid6 with btrfs from synology and booting from a (separately) installed omv, raid and filesystem was recognized ootb and i was able to use samba to access my files as usual, the dsm system raid was not shown but i had no intentions to access it, but i guess it would have been possible the same way as its done when booting a recovery linux

it dates back 2-3 years that i tested but i don't think its gotten worse with omv

56 minutes ago, madhits45 said:

Sinology forces you into it for certain things, so its kinda needed now.

you still get the choice between ext4 and btrfs but a few things only work with btrfs (like vmm) but ext4 is still possible without any tweaking

• Thanks 1

BTRFS is all fine to be used on linux if you need to recover. Honestly I would not do this with OMV, AFAIK you cannot just "mount" it in the GUI. You will need to do this on the CMD whatsoever and they I would highly recommend to used a distro like Ubuntu to get this done. Documentation is good, plenty of stuff on the internet and latest kernel and ports avaiable. Just in case something went wrong.

Also I would not go on EXT4 nowadays on Synology as BTRFS has good (exlusive) features and is well maintained and updated by Synology.

ok her is my situation:

i got a dell optiplex 7010 with intel !5 processor 

i prepared all what i need for install .i guess if not am mistaken i have to install this version DS3615xs 6.1.2 Jun's Mod V1.02b .so when i boot from usb all goes ok till i browse  to the server ip and get connected  all ok i tried two ways first manual installation with DSM_DS3615xs_15152 the process goes till 56% and stops with error: (13) invalide DSM .

Remember when  tried aut install and download from server of synology gives also the same error and somtimes gives cant download the files due to connection problems.

So im stuck in this situation ,what am doing wrong ? tried for the second time the higher version >>> jun's_mod_v1.03b_ds3615xs without any succes 

Note: the first time connect gives install the server and now after all what i try when i try to install get in place of install>>>Migrate 

Some on ecan please help me go through this 

Apreciate all your work guys

I was hoping for some help for my AMD platform, I can see from the notes on previous loaders that since 6.1 and above there has been issues with AMD processors and I was wondering if there is any proven guide on how to get this working. My system is:

DSM: 6.0.2-8451 (Loader v1.01)

Processor: AMD Athlon X4 860K

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (2x Kingston Hyper-X Fury)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3HP AMD FM2+ A88X 

I've tried the loaders:

DS918 - v1.04b

DS3615xs - v1.03b 

The PC boots, and I'm left on the normal loader screen however I never receive a DHCP query from the device, and therefore I can't then connect to it. I've tried both onboard NICs and a HP quad port ethernet card also.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @Infray

I have the same Supermicro motherboard. Searching, I saw you had similar issues getting the onboard Intel X553 drivers to work. Your latest post here:

suggests it does or did with an older version.

Can I ask where are you with it today and what versions do you have it running on?

I've tried 1.03b with both DS3615 and DS3617 bootloaders with no luck. I haven't tried getting my head around including the extra.lzma which might be required for driver support?

Thanks!

On 11/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, fenguoerbian said:

Hi, I've spent several days on this HW transcoding problem with asrock j3455-itx motherboard. I've read all the post of this thread and some other related threads in this forum. Gotta say this might be a general problem with this motherboard. Basically, it's the i915 driver's problem and it can be searched(/dev/dri missing, i915 driver problem) from other linux forums. Finally I kind of found a way to make /dev/dri appear when install DS918+ DSM 6.2 using j3455-itx. Here is my method(But to be knoest, the performance is poor.)

1. My method only work on 1.03a2 + extra.lzma_v0.5(I'm not sure whether the extra.lzma is necessary but I included it when making my usb boot)

I tested that my method won't work in 1.04b, maybe because the updated i915 driver as @jun stated.

2. When you modify the grub.cfg, changing the vid/pid/SN/MAC, also add a new arg 'i915.alpha_support=1' in the line 'set comon_args_918 = xxx', so it looks like:

set common_args_918='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS918+ vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_hdd_detect=0 syno_port_thaw=1 i915.alpha_support=1'

Install the system(I never tried migratiion) and then the /dev/dri appears and HW transcoding works fine in video station if you also have real SN/MAC. (But the performance is quite poor. I've a 35 min 4K h264 movie. For offling hw transcoding to medium quality, it says about 3 hours to finish. But SW transcoding saied 1hr to finish....sign...)

Another thing: DSM 6.2 seems quite slow than DSM 6.1. When I tried in install DSM 6.2, after the screen said 'find.synology.com', it took 5min for DS assistant to find my nas, and 10 min to finish install the DSM. Then the machine reboot, another 6 min before DS assistant finds the ip of my nas.  While for installing DSM 6.1, normally it only took 2 min to finish each step.

Besides that, in 6.2, my package center seems different from the others. Because I only got the category 'all' in the left panel,  while from the picture I browsed from the internet, there should be categories like 'recommended', 'back up', 'utility'....

Last but not least, shutdown is not working for my 6.2. I have to use the shutdown command in command line to turn off my nas.

At first I thought this motherborad would be perfect for dsm 6.2 and ds918+ since its specification is quite close to the genuine one. But now I stayed at DS916+ and DS6.1.7.

quite right! same problem as you!

On 5/5/2020 at 8:20 PM, Red100 said:

thanks for your reply Aigor,

can you tell me how to check vid & pid of grub.conf into usb?

when i connect the usb to a windows based pc didnt get it explored

Thanks 

@Red100, you have a couple of options depending on how you want to do it.

• Work on the .img bootloader file before you write to USB. If you want to modiy your original image file use OSFmount. With that app, you can load the .img bootloader file. Mount it, untick the "read only" check box, selecting the first 15MB partition. The app will mount that as a drive letter. You'll then be able to access the files in that partition from Windows Explorer.
  • Edit the file directly on your USB key. For that, you can use the free version of Partition Wizard. That will allow you to mount your USB key, assign a drive letter so you can then modify files directly from your USB key.

In both cases, you need to check the file Grub\grub.conf. In there, there's the PID and VID you need to update to match what your USB stick is. Remember to keep the 0x bit in front. Once you've edited the file, save it. Then you can unmount in OSFmount and write the image to a new USB key or exit Partition Wizard.

If you're unsure what your PID and VID is, you can use USB Device View app.

This also means that if you're testing with many different USB keys, you need to ensure your grub.conf has the right values for each key.

Edited by tfboy