XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

Good day.

I note the update of 1.04b on post 1 by Jun.

3615xs seems to work with the latest 6.2 update for people on bare metal - some on 1.03b and some on 1.04b (which I thought was only for the DS918 NAS?)

I use 3617xs (same hardware) and am stuck at the 6.2 first major update as the later ones brick the system.

2  questions

1. Has there been any movement or progress with the loader to enable 3617xs to work with the latest DSM (update 6?)?

2. What is the difference between 3615 and 3617? I've never found a satisfactory answer as to how the loader differences (sometimes just telling different CPU for example) may influence the real performance of my NAS.

Just now, mgrobins said:

Good day.

I note the update of 1.04b on post 1 by Jun.

3615xs seems to work with the latest 6.2 update for people on bare metal - some on 1.03b and some on 1.04b (which I thought was only for the DS918 NAS?)

I use 3617xs (same hardware) and am stuck at the 6.2 first major update as the later ones brick the system.

2  questions

1. Has there been any movement or progress with the loader to enable 3617xs to work with the latest DSM (update 6?)?

2. What is the difference between 3615 and 3617? I've never found a satisfactory answer as to how the loader differences (sometimes just telling different CPU for example) may influence the real performance of my NAS.

I have 6.2 on 3617 just not 6.2.1. And I can answer question #2.... when it comes to transcoding, the 3617 DSM can transcode in higher resolutions than 3615. When I used 3615 Video Station for example would only transcode most videos up to 720p even though the hardware I was running it on would have no problem doing even 4K. 3617 I can do 1080p but I don't think 4K.

11 minutes ago, ilovepancakes said:

I have 6.2 on 3617 just not 6.2.1. And I can answer question #2.... when it comes to transcoding, the 3617 DSM can transcode in higher resolutions than 3615. When I used 3615 Video Station for example would only transcode most videos up to 720p even though the hardware I was running it on would have no problem doing even 4K. 3617 I can do 1080p but I don't think 4K.

That's interesting feedback.

I read the FAQ which suggests the 3615 is the 'optimal" choice due to no real difference with the 3617.  The core difference in them as Synology units is that the 3615 was an i3 unit and 3617 was a xeon. The rest was ram speed/quantity. 

Could the transcoding be the i3 does not manage some instructions the Xeon can? I don't do transcoding so am not sure. I think you are also implying that the loader may be impacting the performance of your CPU? Am I correct in that?

I wonder if there is something in the Grub file that needs altering to tell DSM what CPU is present and how many cores etc? Not just for aesthetics (reporting in the info screen) but for function?

Edited by mgrobins

1 hour ago, mgrobins said:

That's interesting feedback.

I read the FAQ which suggests the 3615 is the 'optimal" choice due to no real difference with the 3617.  The core difference in them as Synology units is that the 3615 was an i3 unit and 3617 was a xeon. The rest was ram speed/quantity. 

Could the transcoding be the i3 does not manage some instructions the Xeon can? I don't do transcoding so am not sure. I think you are also implying that the loader may be impacting the performance of your CPU? Am I correct in that?

I wonder if there is something in the Grub file that needs altering to tell DSM what CPU is present and how many cores etc? Not just for aesthetics (reporting in the info screen) but for function?

I actually think it has to do with coding Synology puts there on purpose to prevent lower end NAS from transcoding 1080p even though it is physically possible. One, they might not want the user experience to be bad if it takes a long time on i3 and two I bet they want to force people to spend more money on a higher end model if they care about 1080p or 4K. See this page, it explains the groupings of models and what resolutions each can do: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Multimedia/Can_my_Synology_NAS_transcode_videos_for_my_device

Working HP Microserver Gen8: XPenology 6.2.1

We have got finally working Gen 8 with 6.2.1 (1.03b loader)

Yes, it is true, that Synology in this version does not provide drivers for onboard Broadcom Network Cards, so we used Intel Pro 2 or 4 port network cards.

Important point: if you install another network card into your XPen HP Gen8 server, you have to disable onboard NIC (not iLO), in case of enabled onboard NICs NAS can not go to reboot or shutdown from DSM.

If you add network card before update to 6.2.1 and disable onboard NIC, update to 6.2.1 probably can reboot server from DSM and everything is going well.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, kevingu said:

Does anybody meet the video station transcode problem when using jun’s 1.04b loader + 918+(6.2.1)? 

The discussion is in 

The serial number must be correct from the first time you boot DSM. If DSM has been booted with a bad serial before, even if you switch the serial after it won't try and reactivate the transcoding license. The only way I could get it to work is if I re-installed DSM from scratch. There is a file that gets generated which shows the license status, I forget where it is, but the only way I got it to update and show "successful activation" was re-install.

• Thanks 1

15 минут назад, kevingu сказал:

Does anybody meet the video station transcode problem when using jun’s 1.04b loader + 918+(6.2.1)? 

No problems with sw and hw transcode begining from 4th generation of intel processors on 1.04b loader.

UPD: HW transcode will be on processors with GPU only.

Edited by Olegin

41 minutes ago, ilovepancakes said:

The serial number must be correct from the first time you boot DSM. If DSM has been booted with a bad serial before, even if you switch the serial after it won't try and reactivate the transcoding license. The only way I could get it to work is if I re-installed DSM from scratch. There is a file that gets generated which shows the license status, I forget where it is, but the only way I got it to update and show "successful activation" was re-install.

Thanks for the comment. One more question is that can I use a sn/mac that a ddsm generated to activate my hw transcoding?

50 minutes ago, flyride said:

Thanks, I'll take another look. I've searched the forums, but IMO it's a huge mess w/ guides and various versions of bootloaders everywhere. I been using modded versions of dsm forever (before this site existed), through the various bootloader modders (vortex, gnoboot, ect), but haven't touched things in years - works == good. When searching you find too much old stuff that doesn't apply.

I told my buddy to just order another lsi 9201-8i from ebay for $25. Easier then pulling my hair out trying to find accurate info.

Hmmm..... I'm sensing from replies or lack of replies that for Bare metal with a Xeon based board I need to stay on 6.1 for now if I am using the DS3617xs DSM setup. I don't do transcoding but outside of that am uncertain if anything else is lacking on the DS3615xs file and if that works with all current updates for 6.2.x?

On 9/2/2018 at 1:40 PM, toker said:

I have DQ77KB board, tried both EFI and legacy boot with 1.03b and 1.04  loader and DS3617xs model. No LAN detected. Any thoughts?

Thanks Jun

Updated from 6.1 to 6.2 successfully

System Info:

U-NAS-810 | Intel i7-3770S | Intel DQ77KB | 4 x Intel 530 SSD 240GB | LSI 9207-8i | 3 x Seagate IronWolf 10TB

tempsnip.thumb.png.5a44b5d7612e521a0edb5b92c3023dd0.png

New Bootloader 1.03b under EFI - did not work for me, no LAN detected.

- Had to Disabled EFI Boot in BIOS, both NICs detected in Legacy Mode.

However, my 3 drives on the LSI HBA Card got renumbered in DSM

- Previously, 3 drives on LSI HBA were Drives 5 - 7

- Now the 3 drives on LSI HBA are Drives 7 - 9

tempsnip2.thumb.png.1bd7c9a4cf7dd7b1a33d8ff5ad4ac58c.png

Hi everyone and thanks Jun for your hard work. I have one question because i didn't found an answer on the forum. A lot of people is using loader for DS3615 and DS3617 on their devices. Jun are you planning to update those loaders to support DSM 6.2.1? From my knowledge loader for DS918+ does not work on older devices so for many of us switching to this loader is connected with changing hardware :D (when old hardware works just fine). It would be grate to know what are your plans in this subject.

4 hours ago, hellbondz said:

Hi everyone and thanks Jun for your hard work. I have one question because i didn't found an answer on the forum. A lot of people is using loader for DS3615 and DS3617 on their devices. Jun are you planning to update those loaders to support DSM 6.2.1? From my knowledge loader for DS918+ does not work on older devices so for many of us switching to this loader is connected with changing hardware :D (when old hardware works just fine). It would be grate to know what are your plans in this subject.

6.2.1 u6 on DS3615 works with 1.03b for me.  The only issue is that Synology removed the Realtek driver so I had to install an intel NIC to get ethernet working.

What issues are you having?

1 hour ago, Lestat said:

Hi I have a n40l running 1.03b on 6.2 I understand if I want to update past 6.2 I need to install an Intel nic would on like this be ok

Intel PRO/1000 CT Desktop Adaptor PCI Express

If not can you some one recommend one as I see lots off different Intel nic at different prices

The one that most people with Gen7 microservers seem to use is the HP NC360T. Don't forget that you'll need to disable the onboard NIC & DS3615XS image is recommended as it seems to be the most stable.

Hello. I moved from 6.1.7 using the older 1.02 loader to the new 6.2.1 using the 1.03b loader. Upgrade went fine and all looks good after.

When I reboot the machine, I can no longer find it on the network. I have to reboot again and choose Option#2 ReInstall on the loader, reinstall the DSM 6.2.1 to get it back working again. Is there something I am missing so that I can reboot occasionally when I need to without needing to reinstall DSM?

Board:

DSM 6.2.1 3615X

Asus B250-HDV

Intel Gigabit network card

3x6TB drives

Edited by fswcr1