XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Loader

jun

2 minutes ago, mmkt said:

please have a look at:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

only 1.03b with 3615 works with 6.2.1.

3617 is not working due to usb kernel crash in 6.2.1. Intel nic or not, dosn't matter.

Thanks, I'll give that a try! Did come accross overview, but did not pick up this detail :(

19 hours ago, mmkt said:

just do it, the same hardware is working fine for me ...😀

Pfff...it is running now. After some tests, I updated my 6.1.7 version to manual 6.2.1 PAT, using the Intel server network card.

It took machine more time than usual to become available again. I almost gave up and pull the plug...

In the end machine rebooted a second time, while Assistant show 'Starting services'. After finally completing all, it now runs with upgrade 4, much to my surprise.

But anyway, we're in business again! Thanks!

I have xpenology 6.1 running just fine, with the new bootloader, I can not create a bootable USB stick, not with rufus, Etcher or dd command in Linux. anybody else having that struggle or a solution??

Thanks for any help ;-)

Dirk

Edited by dirkme

3 hours ago, ilovepancakes said:

So to confirm, to run 6.2.1 with 1.04 loader on ESXI 6.7, I just need to have an Intel NIC, any Intel NIC added to the VM as passthrough? I don't actually have to use the Intel NIC to pass traffic it just has to be present?

These comments are specific to install of 6.2.1 on ESXi, to avoid confusion with any baremetal users that happen across this post:

• Using 1.03b loader (DS3615) you must either configure a virtual e1000e NIC or passthrough a physical e1000e NIC.  If you use a vNIC the physical NIC in the system can be anything supported by ESXi.
  • Using 1.04b loader (DS918), any NIC natively supported by DSM should work, which includes many non-Intel NICs.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:21 AM, dirkme said:

I have xpenology 6.1 running just fine, with the new bootloader, I can not create a bootable USB stick, not with rufus, Etcher or dd command in Linux. anybody else having that struggle or a solution??

Thanks for any help ;-)

Dirk

Sometimes I had problems too.

Run command prompt as Admin > diskpart > list disk > select disk 2 (number is your USB, whatever it is in the list) > clean > exit

This will clean the disk quickly, it basically gives you a raw disk like they come out of the box.

For some reason Rufus doesn’t like my usb unless I do this first.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, flyride said:

These comments are specific to install of 6.2.1 on ESXi, to avoid confusion with any baremetal users that happen across this post:

• Using 1.03b loader (DS3615) you must either configure a virtual e1000e NIC or passthrough a physical e1000e NIC.  If you use a vNIC the physical NIC in the system can be anything supported by ESXi.
  • Using 1.04b loader (DS918), any NIC natively supported by DSM should work, which includes many non-Intel NICs.

Hmm, I must have another issue then because upon trying 1.04b, the bootloader loads and I can install 6.2.1 PAT file but then after install it reboots and I can no longer access DSM, even though bootloader seems to fully load correctly still.

Thank you Olegin and Kizilkum!

This is the first line missing in J3455-ITX I think.

[drm] Disabling framebuffer compression (FBC) to prevent screen flicker with VT-d enabled

as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics#Framebuffer_compression_(enable_fbc)

I would try "i915.enable_fbc=1" or "i915.enable_fbc=0" kernel parameter?

Cannot test too much now as I got only one productive machine.  But I will continue research.

Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

I have a DS3615 6.1.7 running with the V1.02b loader on ESXi 6.7 with an E1000 VNIC configured and EFI boot and tried to first upgrade only the loader to V1.03b. I can select the ESXi entry in Grub, see the "screen will stop updating shortly" message but Synology Assistant does not see a server on the LAN.

Should it work or does V1.03b have to be paired with DSM 6.2.x?

Thanks.

Edited by unmesh